snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 21 February 2018, 01:54 PM

Glasses

I've given up cheese on my breakfast sandwich this week, as a means of trying to determine whether this persistent, very mild tummy ache is related to lactose (I see the dr. tomorrow). I never realized how much moisture the cheese added to the sandwich. Here at work, a sandwich is a whole wheat English muffin, bacon or sausage, and an unsalted egg fried hard (plus a slice of american cheese for those who buy the regular ones). Whole wheat items tend to be slightly dryer than white items, and neither bacon nor eggs fried hard are exactly wet, so I suppose it makes sense.

It was 19F on my front porch this morning. Ferdinand thought it was a grand day for a walk, and wanted to go a lot farther than I did. We compromised (went farther than I wanted to, but not as far as he did). I was really surprised by how interested he was in walking. Apparently the cold does something to scents that he finds fascinating.

Seaboe
Old 23 February 2018, 02:24 PM

Glasses

We had about 1/4 inch of snow yesterday, and the high on my front porch was only 30F. Walking around the neighborhood this morning, you could tell who hadn't moved their cars, and who had bushes that shaded the sidewalks. Everywhere that didn't get sun yesterday (including 1/2 my driveway and most of my carport roof) was still covered with snow/ice, which was still fluffy where people hadn't walked on it, because it hadn't gotten warm enough to stick together.

Today, it might snow again. When? Well, I'm getting conflicting reports about that. One forecaster says 10 am, another says after noon. The official high is supposed to be 39, but that's at the airport. The airport is considerably warmer than my front porch. As an example, my front porch was about 28 when I left for work; the KOMO website tells me the temperature is 36. If this trend continues, it will definitely be snowier at my house than at the airport. I'm going to keep an eye on the weather and ask to leave early to finish the day from home if it does start snowing. It isn't fear of not being able to get home; it's fear of the other drivers who will back up all the feasible routes north if I wait too long.

Seaboe
Old 23 February 2018, 10:08 PM

Baseball

I put this in Twitter, but I'm proud of it, so I'm going to share it here.

Quote:
Just heard from the conservative convention in the US:

"...shut up silly woman the snake said with a grin, you knew I was a reptile before you took me in!"

Is this Trump describing immigration or is it really Trump dissecting his own Presidency! #TrumpTroubles
Old 25 February 2018, 12:30 PM

Whalephant

So I was talking to a co-worker and went in back (through a swinging door) to get a key, turned around, automatically put my hand out to push the door back open as I turned, didn't realize he had opened the door,, lurched forward at a decent clip, and whammed right into him, then flailed off balance and fell.

I am so graceful.

Let's just hope this doesn't earn me a lecture on why I shouldn't be feeling up co-workers.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:31 PM

Icon06

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I put this in Twitter, but I'm proud of it, so I'm going to share it here.
Quote:
Just heard from the conservative convention in the US:

"...shut up silly woman the snake said with a grin, you knew I was a reptile before you took me in!"

Is this Trump describing immigration or is it really Trump dissecting his own Presidency! #TrumpTroubles

The events of the past weeks have emphasized the mistake that was made when Trump got elected. The terrifying thing is to see how many people still think he is the lesser evil and/or a good choice for the U.S.A.
Old 27 February 2018, 01:27 AM

A message I got on my phone today purported to be from the "Canada Tax Agency" and a very robotic voice that was obviously not a real person speaking informed me that due to unpaid taxes either I or my lawyer needed to call them back immediately and that if I didn't they "could only wish me good luck". A lot of the message was garbled but that was the gist and that last line was the clincher. Anyway I know some of these calls can seem very convincing and scary but would anyone ever really think a call like the one I got was in any way legitimate?
Old 27 February 2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
A message I got on my phone today purported to be from the "Canada Tax Agency" and a very robotic voice that was obviously not a real person speaking informed me that due to unpaid taxes either I or my lawyer needed to call them back immediately and that if I didn't they "could only wish me good luck". A lot of the message was garbled but that was the gist and that last line was the clincher. Anyway I know some of these calls can seem very convincing and scary but would anyone ever really think a call like the one I got was in any way legitimate?
A lot of people complain to the Tax Agency asking them to do something about it...
Old 27 February 2018, 01:49 PM

Good for them, about time someone held the Tax Agency to task for the people illegally impersonating them. It wasn't until I emailed Prince Abubakar of Nigeria that the email spam finally stopped.
Old 27 February 2018, 01:50 PM

Canada

Oh, the Tax Agency has outsourced taking care of that stuff to me. If you both just send me a check for the delinquent taxes ($2457 each) I will take care of the phone calls for you. Make the check (or cheque) out to CASH, which stands for Canada's Annual Spending Handling.
Old 27 February 2018, 02:24 PM

It must be true, there's a small Canadian flag under your name.
Old 27 February 2018, 02:35 PM

Glasses

I'm happy to report that all of my tests have come back within normal range, except for the one that I just took yesterday, which hasn't come back at all yet (that one was to see if I have an ulcer).

I'm feeling better, although not back to normal, so the Dr. and I agreed that first, it was reasonable to come in given the events of 2013 (the liver thing) and second, that there's nothing actually wrong this time. Which means it's probably something in my diet and I really should try and figure out what it is, but I'm not doing it right now (because there are other things I'm concentrating on until Easter).

And speaking of Easter, The Dress is essentially finished (I need to tack down the skirt facings and hem it), so I've moved on to the wig. After the wig comes the mechanism, then the props, and then practice, practice, practice. Although, by the time I get everything done, three times might be all I get to practice. Saturday night at Norwescon will be the big reveal. I'm feeling good about this, at the moment. I still have 4 weeks to work on it.

Seaboe
Old 27 February 2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
After the wig comes the mechanism
Now I really want to see it!
Old 27 February 2018, 03:43 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Last year, Anna-Maria Tremonti got one on her phone while taping a segment of the Current on CBC Radio. She then created an impromptu segment and called them back. It was fantastic. She had the guy spinning.
Old 27 February 2018, 05:43 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Last year, Anna-Maria Tremonti got one on her phone while taping a segment of the Current on CBC Radio. She then created an impromptu segment and called them back. It was fantastic. She had the guy spinning.
Most Canadians (heck most anyone) don't fall for these. But there are more...vulnerable... folk who do fall for it, just like their are people who fall for claims from Nigerian princes.

A small percentage of a lot of people, is still a lot of people. And despite all that newscasters and the CRA do, there are still people who have not heard about this scam or are surprised when they get "the call".
Old 27 February 2018, 05:43 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

And speaking of Easter, The Dress is essentially finished (I need to tack down the skirt facings and hem it), so I've moved on to the wig. After the wig comes the mechanism, then the props, and then practice, practice, practice. Although, by the time I get everything done, three times might be all I get to practice. Saturday night at Norwescon will be the big reveal. I'm feeling good about this, at the moment. I still have 4 weeks to work on it.

Seaboe
I'm glad your tests came back well..... but are you sure that your soooper seekrit Dress will not go 'splodey without a picture? We won't tell anyone, we promise.
Old 28 February 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

I have shared pictures with the woman who gave me the fabric, so splodyness has been avoided. Good try, though.

Last night I spent more time on the phone than I really like. First my friend J called, and we talked for about 1/2 hour, then my BFF called, and we talked for about 15 minutes--and then my friend S called, and said "help."

She's extremely sensitive to VOCs (volatile organic compounds), and they painted the hall in her apartment building without advance warning. She stuck it out for two hours while she made and ate dinner, but even with the door closed and her window open, she was badly affected. I went and picked her up and brought her home with me. She'll probably need to stay until at least Friday.

They've painted before, but usually they let the tenants know, and she can make arrangements to stay with friends while the vapors are bad. This time, though, they didn't. I think the management company changed within the past few years--or at least, the building manager has.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 28 February 2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: light is not a synonym for like.
Old 05 March 2018, 05:13 AM

So this message is a goodbye of sorts. I say "of sorts" because I unofficially said my goodbye about three years ago, when I stopped posting here on a regular basis. Snopes was an incredibly formative part of my life, and I spent some of the best times of my younger years here, making friends, learning new things, and broadening my horizons. On the other hand, I also spent some of the worst parts of my life here-- not because of anything that transpired on the boards, but because the very worst parts of myself came out here.

The primary reason I stopped posting here is because I didn't like the person I was, recognized the need for a change in myself and my behavior, and realized that change wasn't going to happen sitting behind a keyboard on a message board. I've made a conscious effort over the ensuing years to find flaws in myself, my beliefs about people and the world, and to make an effort to make improvements in myself. And while I think I'm generally a better person than I was three years ago I also realize I've still got a lot of work to do. That said, after some reflection, I didn't think it was completely right to just vanish from here without saying all this first, and offering an apology to anyone I specifically or generally hurt through my words or thoughts. Some of it I'd like to chalk up to the stupidity of a midwestern teenager, but, I continued posting here long after I'd left my teens and had access to broader points of view that I was either resistant to or flat out didn't listen to. For that there is no excuse and I'm sorry.

I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't be the person I am today without snopes, both for better and for worse. But it was all ultimately worth it. Thanks for the good times; and again, I apologize for the bad.

I wish you all the absolute best.
Old 05 March 2018, 06:45 AM

So long

and thanks for all the fish
Old 05 March 2018, 12:34 PM

I can't remember if this is the thread where we were talking about doomed shops or businesses, but I noticed today that the ice-cream parlour I mentioned has gone.

It opened in October* - a fairly odd time for an ice-cream parlour to open in the UK - and I thought it was in a poor location. I think I saw about six customers in there in total when walking past - usually it was completely empty, but I saw a table of four once. It closed over Christmas and for the next couple of months had a printed A4 sign in the window saying that it was closed for the holidays and wishing everybody a happy Christmas and New Year. I thought maybe they'd mothballed it to re-open in better weather.

Today I noticed that this sign had gone, and there were some new ones, so I went and read them. They were eviction notices from the landlord, reclaiming the building and stating that it would be a criminal offence for any employees to try to re-enter. It looks as though they simply abandoned the place and stopped paying the rent. All the tables and furniture had been ripped out and were stacked near the windows.

Three months, it was open! It was part of a small Scottish chain. Somebody made some serious mistakes on this branch, though!

* Correction - when looking it up to see if I could find out more, I found that it opened in the middle of September. On the chain's own site, it's variously listed as "Opening soon!" (together with a bunch of other locations outside Scotland) and "Now closed until mid-January". Looks like they're not great at maintaining their website, either.

Last edited by Richard W; 05 March 2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05 March 2018, 12:46 PM

Goodbye, MisterGrey! FWIW, which may not be much, I can't remember you ever posting anything terrible around here, and I lurked for a long time before I joined.

On the topic of terrible business decisions: I used to work in a building next to a bar and grill. One morning I was walking into work and noticed a bunch of the bar and grill's employees standing in the parking lot, looking shocked. There was a "permanently closed" sign hanging in the bar's window. Apparently the owner hadn't given any of the employees any kind of advance notice that this was happening. He just posted the sign and vanished, leaving a lot of people suddenly out of a job.