snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 29 May 2018, 11:35 AM

This sucks but your reaction is understandable
Old 29 May 2018, 02:57 PM

Karyn, I am sorry.

Both for the reason and for your leaving. But as GM says it's understandable.
Old 29 May 2018, 03:40 PM

I reported your post, Karyn. Maybe that will get it through to the admins that they need to do something - because they're losing good people by ignoring issues.
Old 29 May 2018, 08:31 PM

Karyn, if you're reading this, I'm so sorry to lose you; I always enjoyed your posts. But I understand completely.
Old 29 May 2018, 09:47 PM

Sorry Karyn. I wish we knew what to do about it.
Old 30 May 2018, 09:40 PM

Read This!

Karyn,
Is it possible (and if so, would you be willing) to re-sign up for the board using your correct name? Might have to link it to a different e-mail address, but that shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle. I'd really hate to lose you from our community! But as other have said, I'd understand if you choose to do so.
Old 30 May 2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
Karyn,
Is it possible (and if so, would you be willing) to re-sign up for the board using your correct name? Might have to link it to a different e-mail address, but that shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle. I'd really hate to lose you from our community! But as other have said, I'd understand if you choose to do so.
She's tried...still waiting for it to come out of moderation.

This board is dead/dying at this point...
Old 31 May 2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post

This board is dead/dying at this point...
Every now and then we seem to get a thread that gets a lot of people involved and that gives me hope. But the every now and then is getting further and farther between.
Old 31 May 2018, 02:29 AM

The fact that it appears new members aren't being approved anymore is not a good sign.

Karyn, I hope this works out and you stay with us, I totally understand your position though.
Old 31 May 2018, 02:28 PM

Beachlife, are you saying you know new members aren't being approved in general, or are you concluding that from Karyn's being still in moderation?

-- I just took a ten second look at the members list, but I'm not seeing sign up dates by the names, only most recent visit dates. Didn't the sign up dates also use to show there?
Old 31 May 2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Beachlife, are you saying you know new members aren't being approved in general, or are you concluding that from Karyn's being still in moderation?

-- I just took a ten second look at the members list, but I'm not seeing sign up dates by the names, only most recent visit dates. Didn't the sign up dates also use to show there?
Yes, I believe they did...this board used to have dozens of new threads a week - enough to keep anyone busy! It wasn't just personal stuff, either - it was about urban legends and the stories that all brought us here. Unfortunately, this board is a relic. Sad, really, since I joined right before I graduated high school!
Old 31 May 2018, 03:25 PM

Karyn said her new member ID had been stuck in moderation for a month, back in February. What would be five months in moderation now without any contact from moderators. I would think that would be the fate of anyone who attempts to signup, unless she got flagged for some reason.
Old 31 May 2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
.this board used to have dozens of new threads a week - enough to keep anyone busy! It wasn't just personal stuff, either - it was about urban legends and the stories that all brought us here.
I think some of what's going on is that snopes used to post a batch of stories fairly often for us to comment on; I think (though I might be wrong) so that people on the boards could do some of the research for things that might eventually be posted on the main site. Now that posts on the main site are mainly written (I think) by specific people paid to do so, that would possibly no longer be a motivation, and maybe that's why snopes no longer does that.

So if we want to keep this going, maybe remaining members need to post more such stories ourselves. -- I do try to start threads occasionally, though they're more likely to be about something in the news. I should probably try to start threads more often.

However, if new members really can't get in any longer, then a slow death seems eventually inevitable, as people are certainly going to drop out from time to time for a variety of reasons, no matter how lively the boards are. So I hope that isn't true -- although, if Karyn's been in moderation for five months with no communication, the alternative may also be unpleasant, as that might mean snopes is specifically refusing to deal with the issue of name changes for gender reasons.
Old 31 May 2018, 03:55 PM

You can search members by join date. It looks like the last person to join was VGreen on 30 November 2017, only a few days after Karyn posted the initial inquiry.

Does anyone have a more direct connection to anyone who might be a mod to see what's up?

So we don't flood the thing, does anyone want to volunteer to send a message via the "contact us" on the Snopes main site? It seems odd that there IS a link to this forum there, but no one's actually working this side of things.

Last edited by ChasFink; 31 May 2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: ETA Add'l question
Old 31 May 2018, 04:16 PM

Might be worthwhile for somebody still active to volunteer to be a more engaged moderator as well.
Old 31 May 2018, 04:18 PM

The community list says that snopes was last here May 26; less than a week ago.

Whether he's reading all the threads, of course, I don't know.
Old 31 May 2018, 05:34 PM

I know that some of the old mods haven't been active as such for some time now - not sure how moderation is being handled.
Old 31 May 2018, 05:52 PM

Icon105

I know there's a Snopes page on Facebook, but it seemed to be largely populated by people wanting to know if it's true you can turn in pop can tabs for dialysis (and other challenges) so I left.

Is there a group page for Snopes Message Board members or refugees? An SLC home away from home? If the board really does die it would be nice to have a hangout. Some of us have become Facebook Friends (and friends) already, but if there was a group where all were welcome we might be able to retain some of the magic.

Maybe I'm wishing for too much, but I hate losing touch with imaginary friends I've come to appreciate. I was a member of the famous SFRT groups on GEnie and saw that go away. Another lively message board family was tied in with sellers on eBay (when it was new), and that one also vanished with a change of ownership.
Old 31 May 2018, 06:05 PM

I would rather have something that doesn't involve joining Facebook. I really don't want to join Facebook.
Old 31 May 2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I would rather have something that doesn't involve joining Facebook. I really don't want to join Facebook.
How big is your living room? Large enough for a weekly gathering?