snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 16 August 2009, 07:26 PM

Glasses Draft-dodging glasses

Comment: This message is currently circulating on various forums about
vision improvement. No reference is provided of course.

"In the last century, in Russia, minus (concave) glasses were
sometimes used to evade military conscription. A few months before the
appearance for army examination, the conscript went to an optical
doctor and got a pair of strong minus glasses which he wore steadily
until prior to the examination. He was then sure that he would be
rejected on account of his vision. The minus glasses has changed the
focal status of his eyes and made his distant vision very poor."
Old 16 August 2009, 08:09 PM

Not sure if it is true that it has been used to avoid the draft but it is true that a person's eye will adjust to correction. If the correction is wrong the eyes will adjust over time to correct the error as much as they can.

Seems to me though that it would be a lot easier to just lie during the eye exam. I believe modern optimalogic equipment can do an eye exam without the person having to say "better" and "worse" or "the E is pointing left". Kind of doubt Russian military Drs had that equipment 50 years ago though.

And of course, this would have never happened in the US.
Old 17 August 2009, 04:53 PM

If they are talking about the 1940's I don't think that it would have worked. The manpower demands were so high that if you could see your hand in front of your face, you probably would be accepted.
Old 17 August 2009, 06:39 PM

I read a book once 'Escape to Honor" by Hans Nutt. It is about a German guy serving in the German navy. At one point, Nutt is told that they are sending him to serve on the U-Boats. He doesn't like that idea at all. So, a couple of days before he is to be checked out for fitness in the U-Boats, he starts drinking coffee - lots of coffee - the guy in "Cry Wolf" had nothing on him. And he keeps on drinking coffee right up to the time of the medical exam.
Apparently, large amounts of caffeine can temporarily cause an irregular heartbeat, tricking doctors into thinking you have some kind of heart problem.

Would this actually work?
Old 17 August 2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Apparently, large amounts of caffeine can temporarily cause an irregular heartbeat, tricking doctors into thinking you have some kind of heart problem. Would this actually work?
I know that to much caffeine can cause heart palpitations. I do not know how much or how long it has to be in the system.
Old 17 August 2009, 08:04 PM

Not long. My body is a bit extra sensitive but I can feel the effects of extra caffene on my heart within hours and the effect goes away within a day when I cut back. I wouldn't think you'd need to do that way in advance, I'm quite sure I could convince anyone with a stethascope (although I don't know about an EKG) that I was about to have a heart attack just by eating a bag of chocolate covered espresso beans an hour beforehand.
Old 17 August 2009, 11:24 PM

Totally OT

Just saw the film Julie & Julia--Meryl Streep is marvelous as Julia Child, so I went to Wikipedia to see what they had to say I know, I know.

She attempted to join the Navy during WWII, she was rejected because, at six foot two, she was too tall. So she ended up in the OSS.

She had no vision issues, so back to topic

Ali " non Apetit!" Infree
Old 18 August 2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
If they are talking about the 1940's I don't think that it would have worked. The manpower demands were so high that if you could see your hand in front of your face, you probably would be accepted.
That struck me too - OK, dodgy eyesight would mean you wouldn't be able to do any of the more technical roles, but I'm sure the Russian military for fair chunks of the last century would be more than happy to give you a shovel and send you to Siberia to dig ditches, or give you a 6ft pole and tell you to go clear some minefields.
Old 19 August 2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
That struck me too - OK, dodgy eyesight would mean you wouldn't be able to do any of the more technical roles, but I'm sure the Russian military for fair chunks of the last century would be more than happy to give you a shovel and send you to Siberia to dig ditches, or give you a 6ft pole and tell you to go clear some minefields.
Yep. Contrary to common belief and Hollywood myth, most people in the military don't have combat roles. To function, an army needs:

* People who prepare food.
* Truck drivers.
* People who coordinate transports.
* People who load trucks.
* Communications staff.
* Intelligence analysis.
* Mechanics.
* Refueling people.
* Medical staff.
* Clerks.
* People who guard all the stuff needed behind the front line.
* People who maintain and load aircraft.
* Air traffic controllers.
* Train drivers.

...and so on.

During WW2, the number, iirc, was somewhere between 3-5 people for every guy (and gal) fighting. They made sure the people who did the fighting had the stuff they needed, where they needed it, when they needed it and in working condition, they made sure they had food, water and clothes. They made sure they got care of they got injured. A war machine needs a lot of service, or it will grind to a halt.

Today, I suspect that number is around 5-10 people per soldier fighting.

So, I'm sure that they can find someplace to put him.
Old 04 September 2009, 10:16 PM
Azzizi

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
I read a book once 'Escape to Honor" by Hans Nutt. It is about a German guy serving in the German navy. At one point, Nutt is told that they are sending him to serve on the U-Boats. He doesn't like that idea at all. So, a couple of days before he is to be checked out for fitness in the U-Boats, he starts drinking coffee - lots of coffee - the guy in "Cry Wolf" had nothing on him. And he keeps on drinking coffee right up to the time of the medical exam.
Apparently, large amounts of caffeine can temporarily cause an irregular heartbeat, tricking doctors into thinking you have some kind of heart problem.

Would this actually work?
I don't know about making your heart irregular, but I think it does make you have higher blood pressure.