snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 27 August 2007, 02:51 PM
Ieuan ab Arthur's Avatar
Ieuan ab Arthur Ieuan ab Arthur is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,100
Icon81

Hi All:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Since Johnny, Lee, and Bob are dead ...

[snip]

I would share a foxhole with Lee Marvin!
Maybe you'd like to rephrase that

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "6-foot foxhole" ab Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 27 August 2007, 07:04 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Ponder

Quote:
at the time that Lee Marvin made those statements many Iwo Jima vets were still alive. No one ever disputed his claim..and Marine vets would have, if they were bogus.
And since the comments were demonstrably "bogus" but no one disputed them, the obvious conclusion is that Lee Marvin didn't make them.

- snopes
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 27 August 2007, 08:05 PM
Brad from Georgia's Avatar
Brad from Georgia Brad from Georgia is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2000
Location: Snellvile, GA
Posts: 13,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Lee Marvin story- I saw the Johnny Carson show in which Lee
Marvin made those statements. Since Johnny, Lee, and Bob are dead they
can't defend themselves/ however, at the time that Lee Marvin made those
statements many Iwo Jima vets were still alive. No one ever disputed his
claim..and Marine vets would have, if they were bogus. Lee Marvin had
nothing to gain and everything to lose if his claims were not true. I
think that we need to leave our heroes stand as they are. I would share a
foxhole with Lee Marvin!
Lee Marvin with mange.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 27 August 2007, 08:10 PM
Ieuan ab Arthur's Avatar
Ieuan ab Arthur Ieuan ab Arthur is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,100
United States This Is Logic?

Hi All:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
And since the comments were demonstrably "bogus" but no one disputed them, the obvious conclusion is that Lee Marvin didn't make them.

- snopes
You've got to love the backward logic in the OP. The writer claims that because veterans didn't complain, Lee Marvin MUST have served in the USMC.

Boy, I wouldn't want this guy as my lawyer.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Let me tell you about the time I won the Victoria Cross" ab Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 27 August 2007, 10:15 PM
diddy's Avatar
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I could say the same thing. I think it's a common phenomenon, something innate to how our brains process memories. The key difference is that you recognize human memory is flawed and adjust your "memories" accordingly when presented with contrary information.

- snopes
I remember reading somewhere that the brain is notorious for filling in gaps of real memories with other images to form coherent thoughts. Unfortunately humans misinterpret these brain puzzle pieces as real memories despite reality. Extreme suggestion and conspiracy theory mentality plays into this. Their brains assemble dissident pieces of information and combines them together.

Since it is "their" mind. Anybody doubting them is questing all other memories that may be true. People make the mistake the concept that their brains are infallible.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 27 August 2007, 10:20 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieuan ab Arthur View Post
You've got to love the backward logic in the OP. The writer claims that because veterans didn't complain, Lee Marvin MUST have served in the USMC.
Actually, he did serve in the USMC; he just didn't fight at Iwo Jima with Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan.

- snopes
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 27 August 2007, 11:01 PM
Brad from Georgia's Avatar
Brad from Georgia Brad from Georgia is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2000
Location: Snellvile, GA
Posts: 13,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Actually, he did serve in the USMC; he just didn't fight at Iwo Jima with Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan.

- snopes
You mean Captain Kangaroo fought for the Japanese?

Brad "More ping-pong balls, Moose-san" from Georgia
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 28 August 2007, 07:27 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Crash

Comment: How sad it was for me to have someone report that the two moons
on 8/23 was false. My husband & I were at a fly in fish camp in Canada,
about 50 miles north of Hawks Junction, Ontario and had been there since
the 17th of August. On the 23rd all were sleeping but me; as we had a
bear in camp the night before I kept the porch light on and heard a noise
outside. When I went to look through the front window, I saw the Mars
planet. It was absolutely gorgeous, very orange and it was a very clear
night. I had not heard nor read about the "Two Moons" being out of cell
phone and computer range.

I did ask the owner of the camp the next day if he happened to see the 2nd
moon. He also had no idea what it was. It was a spectacular site and I
would say it was about 12:45 a.m.

I did see this and it was absolute out of this world, I told the camp the
next a.m. and no one could figure out what it was.

When I got back to my computer on the 25th, it was the 1st time I knew
what it was.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 28 August 2007, 06:43 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Crash

Comment: You guys said that the infor about 2 moons on Aug 27th was FALSE.
It indeed did happen, as it was shown all over the news channels.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 29 August 2007, 07:57 PM
Brad from Georgia's Avatar
Brad from Georgia Brad from Georgia is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2000
Location: Snellvile, GA
Posts: 13,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: You guys said that the infor about 2 moons on Aug 27th was FALSE.
It indeed did happen, as it was shown all over the news channels.
Two moons, you saw us standing alone
Without a dream in our heart, without a love of our own

Two moons, you knew just what we was there for
You heard us saying a prayer for someone we really could care for

And then suddenly appeared before me, the only two my four arms could ever hold
I heard somebodies whisper 'please adore us'
But when I looked, two moons had become a bus,

Oh, oh, oh

Two moons, now we're no longer alone
Here in the schizo ward
We've learned to love our own!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 30 August 2007, 01:13 AM
One-Fang's Avatar
One-Fang One-Fang is offline
 
 
Join Date: 02 November 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,610
Default

Okay, I understand the concept of created memories, but doesn't it usually apply to 'old' memories? Is it possible to firmly believe that you did something a week ago that you didn't?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09 October 2007, 12:54 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
TV

Comment: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/julia.asp

Hey, folks, I was looking for something else on your site and I saw this,
and I've got news for you. This is true, because I saw it. It was a
turkey. And her words were, after she picked it up and put it back on the
table, something to the effect: "no one is going to know." And how she
handled that situation is what forever impressed me about J.C. Why in the
world I was watching JC is beyond me. I'm a guy, not into cooking, but I
do remember thinking how did this personality evolved? -- for she was
diametrically opposed to me, and everyone else I knew. And also
wondering -- did she ever get laid? It must have happened between 1971
and 1975, because at that time I lived in CA., and the turkey incident
came up one time in conversation with a lady who lived in Oakland Ca.
(that's why the time frame). She watches (or watched) JC. Whoever check
the archives to confirm this, didn't check them all. It's no big deal and
you can't use me to validate the story (who am I), but I saw it on TV.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09 October 2007, 12:55 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
TV

Comment: Comment regarding Arnold Palmer and Johnny Carson conversation of
what he does for good luck before each golf game.

I personally recall watching that very episode and remember quite well
that Arnold Palmer was asked by Johnny Carson what he does for good luck
before each game. Arnold replied that his wife "kisses his balls." To
which Johnny replied "that must certainly make your putter flutter!"

It got a huge laugh by the audience, and Arnold Palmer handled it
gracefully.

The incident did indeed occur.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09 October 2007, 12:55 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Hello Kitty

Comment: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/zsazsa.asp

I personally recall viewing this segment and it did occur regardless of
what Johnny Carson may recall in his older age. It was indeed Zsa Zsa
Gabor who was a guest on his show and the famed conversation took place.

Due to legal liabilities, often these quick quips are down played or
dismissed altogether as hearsay. But I do recall it happening as fact.
I'm certain with further investigation, you will find others who recall it
just as I do.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09 October 2007, 01:31 AM
Lookie Lu
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/zsazsa.asp

I personally recall viewing this segment and it did occur regardless of
what Johnny Carson may recall in his older age. It was indeed Zsa Zsa
Gabor who was a guest on his show and the famed conversation took place.

Due to legal liabilities, often these quick quips are down played or
dismissed altogether as hearsay. But I do recall it happening as fact.
I'm certain with further investigation, you will find others who recall it
just as I do.
Anyone else notice that all these people "remember" this happening but during different years? But they're right.

Lookie "Yeah, do your research!" Lu
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09 October 2007, 03:01 AM
imjustasteph's Avatar
imjustasteph imjustasteph is offline
 
Join Date: 31 May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the brain is notorious for filling in gaps of real memories with other images to form coherent thoughts. Unfortunately humans misinterpret these brain puzzle pieces as real memories despite reality. Extreme suggestion and conspiracy theory mentality plays into this. Their brains assemble dissident pieces of information and combines them together.

Since it is "their" mind. Anybody doubting them is questing all other memories that may be true. People make the mistake the concept that their brains are infallible.
My oldest firmly remembers me rolling up his hand in the car window. My younger son has memories of us driving off a bridge into a 'bunch of water' (no idea whether it's supposed to be a lake, river, ocean, or just what). He also remembers 'dad's friend' (which means any adult male) telling him about a bear living in 'that tower' (which is a water tower). He's never around other adults without either his dad or myself, so one of us would have witnessed this telling, especially since he'd've had to be near the tower at the time.

None of these ever happened.

I personally have had memories for a long time of my brother being in the hospital. Very vivd clear memories. My dad, mom, and one grandmom were there, and I remember thinking that for all that was bad about my brother being in the hospital, some good came of it: my divorced parents getting along. I looked at a monitor and asked my grandmother what it was, and she explained how it showed the heartbeat. Extremely vivid and detailed. You can imagine my shock when, at about 8, I asked my mom what Chirs had been in the hospital for that time, and found out it had never happened.

Even now I remember it as a very clear, very real occurrence, and it's only her word that tells me it didn't happen. (Well, and that of other family members, when I skeptically questioned.)

So, I know, people definitely incorporate dreams, things heard about or read about, and apparently completely random odd stuff, into real memories.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 22 October 2007, 02:17 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Icon401

Comment: i swear to you that i heard the paul harvey broadcast in which he
told about mel gibson having his face horribly disfigured as a child and
how it was repaired. i can't remember all the details, but it had
something to do with a surgeon who put gibson's face back together.

i was amazed at the time. i later met gibson on location for "the river,"
along the river in tennessee, when i was doing advertising for the film.
he actually came up to me and asked me to see if there was something in
his eye. (was he flirting? heaven knows). at any rate i held his face
between my hands and rolled his eyelid back. no debris. he came back a
second time and asked me to try again. i did, and finally told him to ask
the grip to flush his eye out with some water.

all this to say that i saw no signs of scars, and i have always wondered
about the paul harvey piece.

i can tell you one thing for certain ... paul harvey did tell the story on
air.

and now YOU know the REST of the story.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 22 October 2007, 06:44 PM
Dr. Winston O'Boogie's Avatar
Dr. Winston O'Boogie Dr. Winston O'Boogie is offline
 
Join Date: 23 February 2000
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Posts: 5,093
Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: i swear to you that i heard the paul harvey broadcast in which he
told about mel gibson having his face horribly disfigured as a child and
how it was repaired. i can't remember all the details, but it had
something to do with a surgeon who put gibson's face back together.
Your point being? Even if Paul Harvey told it, it might not be true. Paul Harvey is worse than Dear Abby at passing on ULs.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 23 October 2007, 06:48 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Tantrum

Comment: I was perusing your site, and ran across the article regarding
Zsa Zsa Gabor's appearance on the Tonight show, and the famous cat
remarks.

YOUR CONCLUSION IS WRONG! I will take any number of Polygraph tests,
because I SAW THE LIVE BROADCAST AND IT'S TRUE! I remember it distinctly,
because I was watching with my mother and was very embarrassed by it (it
was a different time). I remember saying "I can't believe he said that!"
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 24 October 2007, 11:38 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Shout

Comment: I PERSONALLY VIEWED THE SOUPY SALES SHOW WHERE HE DID THE WHAT
STARTS WITH AN F AND ENDS IN UCK......FIRE TRUCK....IT WAS WRITTEN ON A
CHALKBOARD WITH THE LETTER F SEVERAL SPACES THEN A
UCK...........SORRY...I'M 60 YEARS OLD...AND NOT SENILE.....HE DID DO THAT
ROUTINE IN SPITE OF YOUR FALSE CLAIM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.