snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28 December 2006, 08:01 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Tantrum It's true; I saw it with my own lyin' eyes

Comment: The myth about Zsa Zsa Gabor and Johnny Carson is TRUE, not
false, as you claim. However, it was not Zsa Zsa Gabor, and it wasn't a
Persian cat. It was a Joan Embry type person, one of the people he used
to get from the zoo. The woman brought a cougar or leopard or tiger or
lion cub to the studio, like Johnny liked to do frequently on his show.
It was during the black and white days of the Carson's Tonight Show. She
said during the interview, "Would you like to pet my pussy?" to which
Carson said "Sure, move the cat!" That was exactly what he said. It was
too fast for censors, and there was no profanity in it. I don't know if
this ever made it on air, but it DID make it to a blooper show in the
1980's or 1990's. I know because I saw it myself. I remember the exact
words because I couldn't believe that Carson would say it, and it was just
so funny.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28 December 2006, 09:54 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Devil

Comment: On your "Trademark of a Devil" article discussing the Donahue
Show in 1994 that aired with the Proctor & Gamble President discussing
their connection to the Church of Satan... that show DID air because I saw
it myself!!! I think that you need to truely investigate all possible
options before you post your snope-false/true things on here. After
reading your article & personally knowing the fact that the show DOES
exist because I saw it myself, it would appear that someone (P&G) has
"paid other people off to keep quiet about that episode & forget it never
happened due to corporate politics of realizing later on after doing the
show that they put their foot in their mouths & almost ruined their
business". Do further research, I guarantee you'll find that episode again
& Proctor & Gamble will be re-exposed to the public a second time!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29 December 2006, 08:07 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Icon13

Comment: ok you know how you said that in the Aladdin movie it doesnt say
"take your clothes off"? well it does. i was in treatment and we only got
to watch g rated movies and we were watching that. we were all laying on
the floor watchnig it, and all of a sudden, we heard that saying. we
rewinded it like 20 times! we all heard it. even the nurses heard it too.
its true, it does say it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29 December 2006, 09:20 AM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,749
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: ok you know how you said that in the Aladdin movie it doesnt say
"take your clothes off"? well it does. i was in treatment and we only got
to watch g rated movies and we were watching that. we were all laying on
the floor watchnig it, and all of a sudden, we heard that saying. we
rewinded it like 20 times! we all heard it. even the nurses heard it too.
its true, it does say it.
Sounds like the treatment didn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02 January 2007, 11:52 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Throw Tomato

Comment: "Buck" / "Doe" example was in fact true. You are wrong. I
witnessed it happen. It was one of the funniest moments of my life. I've
been telling that story since it happened. Yes, it did happen on
Password....and yes it was a black contestant. You should really persue
your research before making a false claim like this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07 January 2007, 10:06 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
D'oh!

Comment: Your report on the incident with Groucho Marx saying that line
about his cigar is absolutely wrong. I was 10 years old watching that
program. He said it; I had to ask my mother why the network cut off the
sound. She wouldn't tell me why what he said was bad, either, because
people didn't talk openly about sex then!!! You'd better investigate some
more, because I was an EYEWITNESS/EAR WITNESS to that one, and you are,
indeed, wrong. Now I'm wondering how accurate the other reports are.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08 January 2007, 05:48 PM
mags's Avatar
mags mags is offline
 
Join Date: 23 February 2006
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 5,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
After reading your article & personally knowing the fact that the show DOES exist because I saw it myself, it would appear that someone (P&G) has "paid other people off to keep quiet...
And Dangnabbit, I haven't gotten my check yet, and I never will if you don't keep telling people it never happened!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08 January 2007, 11:45 PM
One-Fang's Avatar
One-Fang One-Fang is offline
 
 
Join Date: 02 November 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,610
Default

I wonder what the claimaint would come up with if you said back "Sure, record that exchange from your blooper reel and send it over".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09 January 2007, 12:24 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
D'oh!

Comment: Regarding your Groucho story. I definitely heard him say that to the mother of 10 children. I was young then, but not young enough to not know what he meant. I remember laughing my head off, and telling all my friends. Someone must have forgotten to edit it out. I do remember it as if it were yesterday. Being young it made quite an impression.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09 January 2007, 04:35 AM
Lemonaida
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Regarding your Groucho story. I definitely heard him say that to the mother of 10 children. I was young then, but not young enough to not know what he meant. I remember laughing my head off, and telling all my friends. Someone must have forgotten to edit it out. I do remember it as if it were yesterday. Being young it made quite an impression.
Are these all from the same guy...? Or is there some weird Groucho thing going on this week?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13 January 2007, 08:23 AM
charlie23
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Comment: On your "Trademark of a Devil" article discussing the Donahue
Show in 1994 that aired with the Proctor & Gamble President discussing
their connection to the Church of Satan...
I remember a rabidly fundamentalist christian member of my family urging people to boycott P&G over this. They had a neat xerox memo they were handing out explaining it all. Pretty sad.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13 January 2007, 10:05 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
TV

Comment: Regarding the Groucho cigar remark: I too am a believer that I
"remember" seeing this, not hearing it nor reading about it. In the late
60's or ealry 70's, WFLD in Chicago (Channel 32) used to run "You Bet Your
Life." There are a few things I DON'T remember however. I do NOT recall
the claim of 20 children. I remember the woman to be very young (about 25
years old) and she had about 6 or 7 kids. Also, I recall that this woman
was not paired with her husband, rather she was teamed with a stranger.
Thirdly, I remember the line to be "Well I love my cigar, but I take it
out once in a while." While he is uttering this phrase, he looks to the
camera, pulls out the cigar and gives a classic Groucho eyebrow wrinkle. I
am 95% certain that I witnessed this exchange when I was about 14 or 15
years old and I was SHOCKED at what I had just heard. I also recall the
audience laughing hysterically and the woman being embarassed by the
remark.

Woman: ...and we have 7 children.
Groucho: SEVEN children?!?
Woman: Well I love my husband very much.
Grouch: Well I love my cigar (turns to audience and pulls out cigar) but I
take it out once in a while.

I wonder if I am the only one to remember this, or will you get more
rebuttals???
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13 January 2007, 08:11 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,626
Hello Kitty

Comment: Add one more person to your list of people who swear they were
watching the Tonight Show when Johnny told Zsazsa to move the cat. I was
between 13 and 16 at the time and was "religious" about watching the
Tonight show, especially on Saturdays. I still have the line-up memorized.
Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Bernette, Tonight show and Saturday
Night Live. This incident was definitely not 1972 or older it was 1975 up
as we moved to a new house just after I went into middle school and at
that time I had a tv in my bedroom.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14 January 2007, 06:28 PM
hambubba's Avatar
hambubba hambubba is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2000
Location: Gonzales, LA
Posts: 10,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I still have the line-up memorized.
Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Bernette, Tonight show and Saturday
Night Live. This incident was definitely not 1972 or older it was 1975 up
But... the Tonight show was never on Saturday night, and Saturday Night Live on other nights as reruns is only in the last few years... WHAT A MEMORY!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13 January 2007, 10:02 PM
Koshka
 
Posts: n/a
Hello Kitty

Everyone seems to be "remembering" the event as shocking ... so why hasn't anyone found a news report from that time on how the TV station reacted to something so inappropriate being aired?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14 January 2007, 03:50 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,122
Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
Everyone seems to be "remembering" the event as shocking ... so why hasn't anyone found a news report from that time on how the TV station reacted to something so inappropriate being aired?
It's so shocking that to air the news clips, or even have a record of them, would cause mayhem so devastating that it makes the Book of Revelation seem like a Disney movie.

And we can't have that. There are too many Disney movies out there as is.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14 January 2007, 06:33 PM
Cactus Wren's Avatar
Cactus Wren Cactus Wren is offline
 
Join Date: 05 June 2002
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: On your "Trademark of a Devil" article discussing the Donahue
Show in 1994 that aired with the Proctor & Gamble President discussing
their connection to the Church of Satan... that show DID air because I saw
it myself!!!
1994? Interesting. I first saw the xeroxlore version of the "P&G/Church of Satan" story in 1985.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14 January 2007, 06:45 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,122
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Wren View Post
1994? Interesting. I first saw the xeroxlore version of the "P&G/Church of Satan" story in 1985.
Donahue was just following the trend.

He may not have done the story first, but he did it better!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14 January 2007, 06:55 PM
Jayhawkk
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm guilty of thinking I remembered the way something happened many years ago only to find out that it was completely different than I imagined.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14 January 2007, 08:18 PM
Fantine's Avatar
Fantine Fantine is offline
 
Join Date: 17 September 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 437
Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
I'm guilty of thinking I remembered the way something happened many years ago only to find out that it was completely different than I imagined.
My husband once thoroughly convinced himself that he had gotten down on one knee and presented me with a ring when he proposed. In reality, we were cuddling together on the couch and stayed that way, both for the proposal and my response. And we went shopping together for rings a week later.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.