snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 29 December 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
This thread itself is a pretty good illustration of how people might have acquired false memories of others claiming to have been traumatized.
I'm inclined to agree with you. It's also weird to me how this particular topic seems to attract non-sequiturs like statically charged tinsel, uncharacteristic of arguments on this board which are usually very logical.

I'm especially talking about the way the discussion leads to "well, I wasn't harmed and no one I know was was so..." Uh, so what? One of the issues is privilege, IMO. Not every kid gets cool gifts from Santa.* That's just one example of ways this whole tradition can be questionable. Maybe even a harmful experience for some people. Just because it didn't happen to you or anyone you know doesn't mean it's not possible nor even that it's uncommon.

* One year, my "expensive" gift was a cheap sweater. We didn't ever have the Santa giving gifts tradition. I was grateful my parents had given me something I could use and didn't have any doubts about Santa thinking I didn't deserve an expensive toy. Other years my parents could go all out; it's not like things were always tight. Now as a parent I just can't imagine having to tell your kids Santa couldn't come this year.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 29 December 2017 at 12:55 AM.