snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 16 September 2017, 02:27 AM

I'd make a superhero show where the main characters had healthy, stable relationships. No stupid drama.

Also, it would have them face dark themes while not succumbing to cynicism. Idealism isn't silly.
Old 16 September 2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I'd like to take the SF series that SyFy killed prematurely (Eureka, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Stargate Atlantis, etc.) and (using time-travel) continue them with the original casts and crews. See if they really were ready to die.
And the newest cancellation, Dark Matter.
Old 17 September 2017, 02:11 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I'd make a superhero show where the main characters had healthy, stable relationships. No stupid drama.

Also, it would have them face dark themes while not succumbing to cynicism. Idealism isn't silly.
You haven't heard of the DCAU. Clearly this is a problem I need to rectify.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know where I can get handcuffs and if I don't have a radiator, are there any other household appliances that would serve as a substitute. Though maybe, I should just go the full-on Clockwork Orange approach.

Okay, okay, I was laying it on a bit thick. But seriously, the DCAU is nothing but awesome. For a show marketed towards kids, it handles some pretty dark themes about the nature of power and of course, quite a few of these themes center around the Man of Steel.

I've heard many complaints about how Superman is boring because he has all those powers and is all good and moral. I can understand his power set making him a difficult character to write, but I never quite got the "Moral Heroes Are Boring" trope. Which story sounds more compelling, one where an immoral jackass with no morals gets put into a situation where he/she can just kill baddies by the score, or one where you take someone who is basically a good person and put them in a morally sticky situation where they find themselves debating "How far is too far? Is it okay to bend the rules in this situation? If so, how far should I go? Is there a point where I've crossed a line I can't go back from?"

The DCAU handles those kinds of situations in a manner that makes Zack Snyder's Dark and Gritty look like the petulant whining it is. Though if you don't to go through the entire canon, try the Justice Lords episode from Justice League OR just the entire Cadmus arc in Justice League Unlimited.

[/massive amount of fangirling]
Old 17 September 2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Something I've felt the lack of recently would be a news show that was just news -- say, 30 minutes of just telling me what happened today, with no analysis, no pundits, no pro- and con-, no "debates."
I third this. Please. Just tell me what is happening in neutral language and let me decide how I feel about it.
Old 17 September 2017, 02:47 AM

Mouse, I grew up on Batman TAS. I'm talking about live action shows. And even in Justice League Unlimited very few characters were shown in long-term relationships.
Old 17 September 2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I third this. Please. Just tell me what is happening in neutral language and let me decide how I feel about it.
I remember when CNN - and a bit later, HNN - was exactly this. It did not last long, alas.
Old 18 September 2017, 01:42 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Mouse, I grew up on Batman TAS. I'm talking about live action shows. And even in Justice League Unlimited very few characters were shown in long-term relationships.
I was about to say that there are things you can do in animation that you can't do in live-action and said show would be expensive as hell, but this is a hypothetical scenario, so money's not an issue. Though I'd still prefer animation, but I just have a love for the art form in general.

[Fangirling] Though as I've said before, I keep telling DC Comics, "Get the guys involved with the DCAU, to write your movies! They've proven that you can tell deep, involving stories with superheroes that don't cross over to outright unpleasant emo whininess."

Though if they're not willing to do that, at least, keep the people involved with Wonder Woman on payroll. They seem to understand that a hero doesn't have to be a Batman clone to be interesting. [/fangirling]
Old 18 September 2017, 04:46 AM

Not as good but The Orville is heading the path of every other Fox sci-fi show. Second episode was delayed by football and the third episode has been moved to another night.

Maybe you can pick it up early.
Old 18 September 2017, 03:55 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
No Sharknado movies?
Hey, it's my station. You can put that on your oh-so-serious () true-crime station.

Seaboe
Old 18 September 2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Green Lantern: the Animated Series. Green Lantern aired around the same time as Young Justice and did have a satisfying ending to the series, but Young Justice was so amazing, it kind of overshadowed Green Lantern. Feel more people should know about it; it basically said to the movie, "Why don't you let us show you how it's done?"
As others have noted, you could say this about most DC animated shows and films, versus the live-action movies.
Old 18 September 2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I've heard many complaints about how Superman is boring because he has all those powers and is all good and moral. I can understand his power set making him a difficult character to write, but I never quite got the "Moral Heroes Are Boring" trope. Which story sounds more compelling, one where an immoral jackass with no morals gets put into a situation where he/she can just kill baddies by the score, or one where you take someone who is basically a good person and put them in a morally sticky situation where they find themselves debating "How far is too far? Is it okay to bend the rules in this situation? If so, how far should I go? Is there a point where I've crossed a line I can't go back from?"
The tricky thing about Superman is of course that it's tough to come up with villains who actually present a challenge in a fight (depending to some degree on which version of the character you're talking about; the Silver Age Superman who could fly through stars and toss planets around, or the somewhat more limited versions we've seen later, though even the latter is still pretty overpowered.) What can make him interesting, on the other hand, is the fact that he has so much power, but puts restraints on himself. Managing not to abuse that much power is something I suspect would be beyond just about all of us. On the other hand, are there times when he should do more, regardless of the law?

Well, not to belabor it, but yes, you can give him lots of interesting moral choices.
Old 18 September 2017, 08:53 PM

Any who thinks that Superman is boring because of his morals hasn't seen Superman Vs The Elite.
Old 19 September 2017, 02:42 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Not as good but The Orville is heading the path of every other Fox sci-fi show. Second episode was delayed by football and the third episode has been moved to another night.

Maybe you can pick it up early.
I hadn't checked it out. I'd been burned by Seth McFarlane too many times. He only has a few tricks and once he's played through his repertoire, it's gets very old, very fast, so I hadn't checked it out. Is it actually good? Maybe if it was directed by his mirror!verse self, I might check it out. For the record, mirror!verse Seth McFarlane puts actual thought into his gags, knows that sometimes satire works better when you use the scalpel, not the chainsaw, AND knows you can only get so far on the, "Look how offensive I'm being. Isn't this shocking? I'm so offensive!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
The tricky thing about Superman is of course that it's tough to come up with villains who actually present a challenge in a fight (depending to some degree on which version of the character you're talking about; the Silver Age Superman who could fly through stars and toss planets around, or the somewhat more limited versions we've seen later, though even the latter is still pretty overpowered.) What can make him interesting, on the other hand, is the fact that he has so much power, but puts restraints on himself. Managing not to abuse that much power is something I suspect would be beyond just about all of us. On the other hand, are there times when he should do more, regardless of the law?
I also think another thing that works when writing Superman is to remember that for all his alien powers, he may be the most human of the DC heroes. Yeah, his backstory is defined by tragedy, but said tragedy happened when he was a baby, so it's not like he has much memory of it. In fact, I get a little irritated when adaptations have him being all emo about how he's an alien and such. Yeah, Superman is aware that he is an alien and that his powers set him apart from other humans, but at the same time, Earth is the only home he has ever known.

Superman battles evil not so much out of guilt, but because he was raised by good people who taught him that if it's in his power to help someone, he should. He gets his powers from his alien parents, but his moral code, the stuff that makes him who he is, comes from being raised by a pair of Kansas farmers. From what I've heard, John Byrne is a horse's ass personality-wise,
but he was right on the mark in his rewrite of Superman.

Which is why of the two oft-discussed parts of Zack Snyder's movie, I'm actually more pissed off by Pa Kent the Sociopath than I am by the Breakneck Ending. Maybe it's because I was raised on a steady diet of the DCAU, but I just liked how they were depicted in the adaptation: basic good people who take all this alien stuff in stride and try to do what they can to help out. They strike me as the kind of people where if they found your wallet, you won't have to check, because there won't be a dollar missing from it, and if they find you stranded on the road, they'll pull aside to see what they can do to help. That kind of basic ordinary good.

Heck that was why my favorite part of the Justice League Christmas Episode "Comfort and Joy," was the segment with Superman bringing J'onn to his home to celebrate Christmas with him, all the little bits in that episode. Like how neither Ma nor Pa Kent raise an eyebrow over a green-skinned Martian at their door and it's revealed that they wrap Clark's presents in lead so he can't cheat and use his X-Ray vision to find out what they got him. Then again, the interactions between J'onn and Supes are interesting in that they both are the last survivors of their respected races, except that J'onn was at a much much more formative age when his race was wiped out.

So again, was really cheesed off by Pa Kent the Sociopath. You seriously can't see the obvious danger in telling your superpowered son that he is above humanity and chastising him for, y'know, using his powers to help people? But I go along with the head canon that everyone in Smallville knows Superman's secret identity, but keeps quiet out of respect not only for him, but for Ma and Pa Kent as well.
Old 19 September 2017, 05:54 AM

Did you like A Million Ways to Die in the West, toilet humor and all? Because it is that in space, including the occasional well written bit that makes the rest even more juvenile.
Old 19 September 2017, 07:20 PM

I'd set up a channel for anime. It would have showings of classics along side of the new and fun stuff. Also, viewers could opt between the dub and the sub. It would also allow for viewers to get the new stuff at almost the same time as they do in Japan.

If I could have another channel too, it would be dedicated to understanding mental illness. It would primarily be documentary (non-exploitative) and perhaps reality shows to help destigmatize mental illness and convey the realities so that people can both recognize it and be encouraged to help themselves and/or others to seek proper treatment if available.
Old 19 September 2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
I'd set up a channel for anime. It would have showings of classics along side of the new and fun stuff. Also, viewers could opt between the dub and the sub. It would also allow for viewers to get the new stuff at almost the same time as they do in Japan.
It could have Japanese shows (with subtitles) followed in the scheduling by their American/France/etc version

Like Captain Harlock/Albator or Mazinger G/Goldorak
Some of them, I never found out the names of the English or Japanese version

Capitaine Flame?
G-Force!

Old 20 September 2017, 04:48 PM

Frying Pan

Slight hijack, but DH would love to see some R-rated Jeopardy! categories.

Dawn--What is DH, you have a dirty mind? !!--Storm
Old 30 October 2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I would make a TV network dedicated to translating books to TV as accurately as possible. Obviously, there are some things that can't be done exactly, but we would be dedicated to getting as close as can be. I would clearly have to start with books that are public domain, but there are a lot so that's not that big of a deal.
Yeah, but then you'd have to make Left Behind. True, the movie is a slog, but the book has nonsense with fake identities, the prophets that are just off-page and a really really NFBSKing preachy church service in the middle. (It starts off with a sort of bang, ends with a sort of bang and just has a walk through the swamp in the middle).
Old 30 October 2017, 07:58 PM

I would broadcast regular stuff but I would offset the standard commercial times. So instead of commercials every :00, :10, :20, :30, ... they would be offset by 5 minutes. That means my station could capture all the viewers from other stations when they start channel surfing during the highly predictable commercial times.
Old 31 October 2017, 03:03 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Yeah, but then you'd have to make Left Behind.
Why? It's her station. She can choose the books she wants.

Seaboe