snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 18 April 2018, 06:09 AM

Default My cat just threw up

River had to go to the vet today for her annual checkup. When we got home (which was an hour and a half later due to them screwing up and marking me down as being late despite my checking in early), I gave her a piece of cold, unseasoned roasted chicken.

Well, she just threw it up, surprisingly undigested, ten hours later.

Don't know what the problem was, but I cleaned it up and hosed the area down with carpet cleaner. Maybe I gave her too much, maybe it's getting old (though I just got it at the grocery store Saturday), maybe she didn't eat all of it right away and came back after it had been sitting out all day (though I thought she ate the whole piece right away), maybe she's just having a random cat thing. I'm just glad she didn't do it on my bed, though it would have been nicer if she'd done it in the bathroom.
Old 18 April 2018, 06:27 AM

Have you given your kitty chicken before?

It isn't necessarily a problem... for whatever odd reason, my cat will throw up upon the first one or two feedings from a brand new bag of dry food (he gets Royal Canin - on his vet's recommendation), and then he's fine after that.

He'll also throw up his dinner regardless of whether the bag is new or not if he scarfs it down. It might come up in 10 minutes, it might take an hour or more.

Maybe chop it up and offer it in little pieces?

~Psihala
Old 18 April 2018, 07:19 AM

I've given her chicken before and never had an issue. Next time yeah, I'll give it to her in smaller pieces.
Old 18 April 2018, 05:16 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
It isn't necessarily a problem... for whatever odd reason, my cat will throw up upon the first one or two feedings from a brand new bag of dry food (he gets Royal Canin - on his vet's recommendation), and then he's fine after that.
My cat does that too. He gets really excited about a new, fresh bag of food, scarfs it down, and then throws it back up. I assume it's because he over ate; he seems fine otherwise.
Old 18 April 2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
My cat does that too. He gets really excited about a new, fresh bag of food, scarfs it down, and then throws it back up. I assume it's because he over ate; he seems fine otherwise.
Yup, Serenity does that too. Doesn't barf every time there's a new bag, because she doesn't always get to hoover it down (she sometimes gets scared away...food is in the kitchen and she hates it when we take cutlery out of the drawer, no matter how quietly or gently, because Mr. S once dropped the entire drawer on the floor.) But when she over eats, it all come back up in complete kibble form (she has no teeth to chew it up).