snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 11 April 2018, 02:18 PM

Fight Showdown at the Hallway Corral

Last night I was gathering laundry when I saw the Showdown. Gobi and Steely Dan facing off, tails lashing, meows set to baritone. Who will strike first?
Gobi struck first with a powerful left jab, which Steely Dan returned with an equally powerful left jab. More meowing and tail lashing. No way was I interfering with this amazing display of feline attitude! Pearl was in the living room and was watching along, a look of sheer on her face. Which cat will blink? I saw Pearl's look and told her that it was a Cat Thing and that we would not understand. That broke the spell--Gobi got up and left, apparently tired of childish games.
Steely Dan has been gunning for Feline Executive Officer position for some time now.
Any showdowns go on at your house, cat staffers? Or any other pet staffers?

Dawn--Hello, Pope Francis? Are you Catholic?--Storm
Old 11 April 2018, 07:11 PM

Mostly what I get is repeated rounds of:

Young Cat to Older Cat: I am going to wash you!

Older Cat to Young Cat: That's nice. Purrrrr . . . Lean into washing . . . Maybe wash Young Cat in return . . .

Young Cat to Older Cat: Now that I've got in good and close I'm going to grab you and start the Wrestling Game!

Older Cat to Younger Cat: Don't wanna play! Hissss! Snarl! Swat! Depart!
Old 11 April 2018, 07:26 PM

Chicken

I get to witness a lot of Bird Fights because my backyard is the prime feeding lot in the neighbourhood since I provide 1kg of seed every day for the doves, about a half dozen small apples for the parrots and a handful of mince beef for the magpies. They're always jockeying for position because there's always one bird in each flock who feels the need to chase the other birds out of its immediate area.
Old 11 April 2018, 09:53 PM

Australia

I just looked out the back window and there were 23 rainbow lorikeets eating the apples I put out on the washing line. They were all screaming their heads off at each other.

The noise is deafening and it's only 7:30am so I'm guessing that the neighbours aren't especially happy with me.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:15 AM

My first two cats, Mittens and Pumpkin, would get into wrestling matches frequently. I even gave them "ring names"--Mittens(brown tabby white white face/chest/paws)was "Tornado Tabby," and Pumpkin(orange tabby)was "Orange Lightning. "
Old 12 April 2018, 02:11 AM

Mum and Dad house and pet sit and there have been many showdowns etc.

In one house the little female cat would bash the larger male cat over the head with her paw and the male would come to us to complain, sook really. He was twice her size, just wack her back mate.

In another house they had two little rescue dogs. The female liked watching animals on TV. When is was another dog she would run up to the TV, put her front paws on the TV stand and growl, grrrrr. Most of these dogs were much larger then her so if they were actually in the room they would either be puzzled by what on earth she was doing or swallow her in on bite.

Last edited by Dasla; 12 April 2018 at 02:26 AM. Reason: I had soo much trouble with that post, in the end I made a simple mistake.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:22 AM

My cat came with a warning that she didn't get along with other cats, so her only showdowns are glaring matches with the neighbors' cats through the kitchen window.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:21 AM

Tsk, Tsk

Steely Dan is quite the cat about town! He has a pretty close bond with one of the black cats, Katydid, but she's not into Friends With Benefits. She lets him get close, but when the Barry White music comes out she gets irritated.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:28 PM

Now I'm imagining this one:

Steely Dan to Katydid: are you in heat yet? how about now? now?

Katydid to Steely Dan: No! I am not in heat! Can't you smell the difference? Hiss, swat, growl, depart!
Old 16 April 2018, 11:39 AM

Pretty much, except that any sex will be safe sex.
I keep reminding Kate that there's nothing in there anymore, so let Steely have his fun. Of course, he doesn't have anything down there either, but you can't take them out of the mind.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:02 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Mostly what I get is repeated rounds of:

Young Cat to Older Cat: I am going to wash you!

Older Cat to Young Cat: That's nice. Purrrrr . . . Lean into washing . . . Maybe wash Young Cat in return . . .

Young Cat to Older Cat: Now that I've got in good and close I'm going to grab you and start the Wrestling Game!

Older Cat to Younger Cat: Don't wanna play! Hissss! Snarl! Swat! Depart!
We get:
Older Cat to Young Cat: I am going to wash you!

Young Cat to Older Cat: That's nice. Purrrr . . . Lean in to washing.

Older Cat to Young Cat: Now your turn to wash me.

Young Cat to Older Cat: No, thx bye.

The rassling part comes separately and is generated by random events.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:20 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
My cat came with a warning that she didn't get along with other cats, so her only showdowns are glaring matches with the neighbors' cats through the kitchen window.
The same here. In Nelson's case it's that he's not a very aggressive cat, so other will bit him and generally be mean to him. So the showdowns in my house go like:

Nelson: Runs to the glass door. "Hey! Hey! There's a strange cat in the backyard!" Runs to the bedroom window. "Hey! That cat's in my territory! Aren't you going to do something about it?"

The usual exchange that takes place in the hallway goes like:
Nelson: "Hey, follow me. I want to show you something."
Me: "You're just going to lead me to the food dish."
Nelson: "Just follow me." Leads me to his food dish.
Old 16 April 2018, 06:09 PM

I would think there would be no proper showdowns between cats. Because the scene would go like this:

FADE IN

INT. RESIDENTIAL HALLWAY, DAY

Two cats face each other from the ends of the hallway. Each cat is wary. As they face off, a small crumpled up paper blows across the hallway.

XXXXXXXXXXXPAYSON
XXXXXMine!
XXXXXXXXXXXSEDONA
XXXXXMine!

Both cats attack the paper.
Old 16 April 2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
We get:
Older Cat to Young Cat: I am going to wash you!

Young Cat to Older Cat: That's nice. Purrrr . . . Lean in to washing.

Older Cat to Young Cat: Now your turn to wash me.

Young Cat to Older Cat: No, thx bye.
I got something rather like that one in reverse for some years: when one of the current Older Cats was one of the Young Cats (and how did she turn into an Older Cat, anyway? I only blinked!) used to determinedly wash the then Old Cat. He showed every sign of liking this, but would never reciprocate. Every once in a while, she would pause in washing and offer him her forehead or ear to wash; he would just ignore this. Being the sort of cat she was and still is, she'd go back to washing him.

The current Young Cat I suspect thinks of washing her as his best way to accomplish cat-to-cat physical contact, which is something he strongly desires. He'd clearly rather wrestle, but washing, he seems to think, is better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The usual exchange that takes place in the hallway goes like:
Nelson: "Hey, follow me. I want to show you something."
Me: "You're just going to lead me to the food dish."
Nelson: "Just follow me." Leads me to his food dish.
"But it's eeeemmmppty! . . . well, almost empty. . . . well, kinda stale . . . well, not what I'm in the mood for right now!"