snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 09 November 2018, 05:02 PM

Spit Take Why the Moon Landing COULDN'T Have Been Faked

I don't care if those who can't get over insisting the moon landings were faked will never change their minds over a short video like this, but *I* needed the giggles:

~Psihala
(*Sigh* Down the rabbit hole...)
Old 09 November 2018, 05:21 PM

The moon landing was faked.

But the government hired Stanley Kubrick to shoot it and he insisted in filming on location.
Old 09 November 2018, 06:01 PM

The shadow arguments which take up the bulk of this video are not particularly convincing to skeptics because an uneven surface can make parallel shadows seem not so parallel. In fact some die-hard it-was-faked believers use such non-parallel shadows in some pictures as proof it was faked.

I recently saw Operation Avalanche, an independent fiction film that has some guys who work in the CIA AV department go semi-rogue to fake the Moon landing and save face for NASA and the US. It's an okay film, but the most amusing part is when they sneak into the set of 2001 to get ideas from Kubrick. To make this happen, the real filmmakers used computer graphics and other tricks to simulate Kubrick's simulated Moon set.
Old 10 November 2018, 12:22 AM

That’s quite an amusing video, but a serious rebutttal needs to be more “Show, Don’t tell”!
Old 10 November 2018, 12:07 PM

I knew somebody who believed that NASA had gone to the moon but that they'd faked the photos anyway...
Old 10 November 2018, 03:43 PM

What, did they think that the real photos didn't look good enough, or that NASA didn't have a camera capable of operating in space then?
Old 10 November 2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
That’s quite an amusing video, but a serious rebutttal needs to be more “Show, Don’t tell”!
Mythbusters did a show about it that was very much in this vein, including the inconsistent shadows I mentioned.

I wrote to Adam Savage about the red "command stripe" he proudly displayed on his Neil Armstrong model - pointing out that such stripes were not part of the first few Apollo missions. He said a LOT of people pointed that out!
Old 10 November 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
What, did they think that the real photos didn't look good enough, or that NASA didn't have a camera capable of operating in space then?
I think he thought that astronauts wouldn't be able to take such good pictures while wearing heavy space-suit gloves, or something...
Old 10 November 2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I think he thought that astronauts wouldn't be able to take such good pictures while wearing heavy space-suit gloves, or something...
Well the Apollo 11 video feed was rather crappy, but the film photos were VERY good, as were so many NASA photos at the time. I don't think the heavy gloves, etc. would be a big problem considering the cameras were built or adapted specifically for people in spacesuits on the Moon! In fact, most of the time the camera was mounted on the suit's chest area, adding stability and aiding in ease of use.
Old 10 November 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Mythbusters did a show about it that was very much in this vein, including the inconsistent shadows I mentioned.

I wrote to Adam Savage about the red "command stripe" he proudly displayed on his Neil Armstrong model - pointing out that such stripes were not part of the first few Apollo missions. He said a LOT of people pointed that out!
Fantastic. I am a massive fan of Savage. I’m obsessed with his podcasts!
Old 10 November 2018, 11:43 PM

The issue with this argumest is that they could have easily gotten non-divergent shadows by shooting the fake moon landing outdoors.
Old 10 November 2018, 11:48 PM

Not possible. The earth is closer to the sun, so the rays would be divergent. That’s why it’s warmer here.
Old 11 November 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The issue with this argumest is that they could have easily gotten non-divergent shadows by shooting the fake moon landing outdoors.
They probably blew their budget on the huge black backdrop used in the Lunar Rover wide-shots.

When I was watching a Moon Machines documentary episode on the Rovers, there was an interview with a Grumman engineer in whose voice one could still detect the annoyance all these years later that NASA went with a one-time use vehicle rather than sending their autonomous/remote controlled machine* to the moo.. er, movie set instead.

~Psihala
(*I mean, never mind it required a separate Saturn V launch just to get it there.., but, hey, its amazing what one can do with models...)

Last edited by Psihala; 11 November 2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11 November 2018, 02:17 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Well the Apollo 11 video feed was rather crappy, but the film photos were VERY good, as were so many NASA photos at the time. I don't think the heavy gloves, etc. would be a big problem considering the cameras were built or adapted specifically for people in spacesuits on the Moon! In fact, most of the time the camera was mounted on the suit's chest area, adding stability and aiding in ease of use.
In any case, probably only the good photos were released to the public. The astronauts may have taken ten times more photos than we know, but they weren’t released to the public because there was no real reason to do so. Maybe someone in the field of astronomy or engineering could benefit from shots where the astronauts had their thumbs in front of the lenses or are such a blurry mess that who knows what it was supposed to be a picture of, but generally the public probably wouldn’t have much interest in them.
Old 12 November 2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Fantastic. I am a massive fan of Savage. I’m obsessed with his podcasts!
I was actually amazed he responded to my email within minutes - although I did include a picture of me with my OLPC laptop that he signed.
Old 24 November 2018, 02:46 PM

D'oh! Russia space agency chief: We'll verify US moon landings

The head of Russia's Roscosmos space agency has said that a proposed Russian mission to the moon will be tasked with verifying that the American moon landings were real.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...dings-59387682

*sigh*