snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 06 November 2018, 08:18 PM

For number 2 I think I was trying to think of somebody different (Queen Latifah?) but it would have been an equally wild guess as the one I originally put... I'm not even sure if either are rappers...! Actually one of the people I was trying to remember is dead so it can't be her (that would have been L'il Kim I think... that's the name that was at the back of my mind, and it's ruled out by the question). Basically I'm not even sure there was any point in my guessing.
Old 07 November 2018, 06:36 AM

5. What company's tap-to-pay app is the top mobile payment service in the U.S., with more users than Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay?

I'm surprised nobody suggested PayPal, but I'm not in the US, so I have no idea.
Old 07 November 2018, 12:42 PM

Do they have tap-to-pay? They might, but I've never heard of it before.
Old 07 November 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
3. What sulfate mineral, the second softest on the Mohs scale, is the main ingredient in most drywall?
What is Gypsum, Alex!
Quote:
4. What distinctive color was the annual guidebook for "Negro motorists" published for Jim Crow-era African-Americans from 1936 to 1966?
I just saw this last night on Mysteries At The Museum and then saw an add for a movie about it. It's the Green Book.
Quote:
5. What company's tap-to-pay app is the top mobile payment service in the U.S., with more users than Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay?
Gonna go with American Express
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these movies? Blade Runner 2049, Ed Wood, Ferdinand, The Godfather, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Magic Mike, Predator, The Princess Bride, Roadhouse, Spider-Man.
They all feature shirtless men??
Old 07 November 2018, 02:59 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Actually one of the people I was trying to remember is dead so it can't be her
She's dead? When did she die? Are you sure you're not thinking of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes?

Seaboe
Old 07 November 2018, 03:03 PM

I'm not at all sure that I wasn't thinking of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez, because now that you mention it, I was definitely thinking of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez. Like I said, I'd probably be better off not even trying to guess that answer!
Old 07 November 2018, 05:50 PM

I'm pretty sure about #1, but not the others. Mostly guesses.

1. What writer, born in 1883 in modern-day Lebanon, is the second best-selling poet of all time, after Shakespeare?
Kahlil Gibran

2. What stage name has Queens rapper Nora Lum used since she was twelve, a decade before recording her debut album, 2014's Yellow Ranger?
Don't know rap. Janelle MonŠe?

3. What sulfate mineral, the second softest on the Mohs scale, is the main ingredient in most drywall?
I should know, but don't.

4. What distinctive color was the annual guidebook for "Negro motorists" published for Jim Crow-era African-Americans from 1936 to 1966?
Red.

MasterCard

6. Which Latin American country was the first to accept Japanese immigration, with the result that people of Japanese ancestry make up 1.4% of the population today?
Colombia

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these movies? Blade Runner 2049, Ed Wood, Ferdinand, The Godfather, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Magic Mike, Predator, The Princess Bride, Roadhouse, Spider-Man.
Based on something I know about only one of these, I'll guess one of the major players debuted in it and died before he or she could make another film.
Old 07 November 2018, 05:57 PM

Other than The Princess Bride, I'm pretty sure that's true about none of the others.
Old 07 November 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Other than The Princess Bride, I'm pretty sure that's true about none of the others.
Well I DID say it was a guess!
Old 07 November 2018, 06:19 PM

And I was just pointing out how it was a bad guess so that you would feel properly bad about yourself for making it.
Old 07 November 2018, 06:43 PM

Mission accomplished!
Old 08 November 2018, 01:17 AM

Baseball

1. That would be Kalil Gibran. I've been to his house and village in Lebanon. Very nice place.

2. I don't know many rappers. Is Nicki Minaj a rapper?

3. Gypsum, I believe

4. Never heard of it. Being about African Americans, would black be too obvious? I don't know.

5. Visa?

6. Peru had a Japanese ancestry Prime Minister at one time, I believe. I'll go with that.

7. I've seen Roadhouse and the Princess Bride. What is common between them? Choreographed fight scenes and unusual deaths. I will say that they all had a physiololgically impossible death.

Two, maybe 4 this week. Not feeling it.
Old 08 November 2018, 03:24 AM

The more I think about it, I'm almost positive I'm right on #2. First of all, 2014 is way too recent to be the debut year for most of the other acts mentioned. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the album title is a dead giveaway (or at least a big hint) if you get the cultural reference. "Yellow" by itself could mean a few things - Cardi B has referred to herself as a "yella bitch" - but "Yellow Ranger" has some very specific ethnic implications.
Old 13 November 2018, 11:56 AM

Good Tuesday, everyone.Ken Jennings writes:

The 644th weekly installment of Tuesday Trivia is in your inbox, reporting for duty. This is a very important number for us, because, if my math is right, it's the first time in three years that the number in the subject line has included each of the first six Roman numerals exactly once! This won't happen again until...Tuesday Trivia DCXLVI, in two weeks.

So with that, let's look at ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What writer, born in 1883 in modern-day Lebanon, is the second best-selling poet of all time, after Shakespeare?
Kahlil Gibran, best known for The Prophet. All-time sales rankings of poets often put Lao-Tzu in second place, ahead of Gibran, but that's stretching the meaning of "poet" pretty damn far.

2. What stage name has Queens rapper Nora Lum used since she was twelve, a decade before recording her debut album, 2014's Yellow Ranger?
Lum is better known, in her musical career and in screen credits like Ocean's 8 and Crazy Rich Asians, as Awkwafina.

Drywall, like a lot of chalk and plaster and other crumbly off-white things, is mostly gypsum.

The book, published for decades by New York postal employee Victor Hugo Green, always had a green cover and was known by travelers as The Negro Motorist Green Book. The book is referenced in the title of the upcoming Viggo Mortensen-Mahershala Ali film Green Book.

The Starbucks app, with 23.4 million American users, is low-key the country's top mobile pay system.

6. Which Latin American country was the first to accept Japanese immigration, with the result that people of Japanese ancestry make up 1.4% of the population today?
Japanese laborers worked on Peruvian plantations beginning in 1898. Though discrimination against Japanese-Peruvians was common, Alberto Fujimori became the country's first president of Asian descent in 1990.

Maybe easier than usual this week? They all have a professional wrestler in the cast. If you weren't aware, The Godfather's Luca Brasi was played by former NWA champ (and former real-life Mob enforcer!) Lenny Montana.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Name either of the two countries that border Lake Titicaca.

2. Despite its sixteen nominations in 2016, Hamilton was unable to break the Tony Award record of what showbiz musical, which won twelve Tonys in 2001?

3. In 2011, Maria Bello briefly played the Helen Mirren role in a U.S. remake of what hit British TV series?

4. What's the more common name for the pair of body parts also called nares?

5. Prior to the 9/11 attacks, the largest-ever mass killing of American civilians happened in 1978 in what country?

6. What musician is also the only solo songwriter ever to have covers of his songs top the Billboard pop, country, R&B, and adult contemporary charts?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these NBA and NFL teams, and no others? Bulls, Celtics, Clippers, Jets, Knicks, Giants, Lakers, Mavericks, Nets, Nuggets, Pistons, Raiders, Raptors, 76ers, Wizards.

Enjoy!
Old 13 November 2018, 12:06 PM

Peru and Bolivia

5. Prior to the 9/11 attacks, the largest-ever mass killing of American civilians happened in 1978 in what country?

Guyana
Old 13 November 2018, 12:32 PM

Bolivia and Peru

3. In 2011, Maria Bello briefly played the Helen Mirren role in a U.S. remake of what hit British TV series? Prime Suspect?

nostrils, so you can flare your nares...or your nares have hairs. Maybe both.

Guyana
Old 13 November 2018, 12:50 PM

I'm going to give myself question 2 from last week, because gypsum is mostly calcium sulphate, and the question was written as though he wanted the name of a salt.

I don't know very many this week!

1. Mexico (and Guatemala?) (eta) And clearly I was getting it muddled up with a different lake. I did have a niggling doubt about that...!

3. I wonder how old the series is? The only big TV role I can think of for Helen Mirren lately was in The Queen, and I'm not sure if that was around in 2011 (or whether it has a US remake). Ah, I think she was in the UK version of House of Cards, which was around then. I'm going with that.

5. Guyana (it would be the Jonestown Massacre I assume. Although it might have been in the other country with a similar name in the same area...).

6. Leonard Cohen is widely covered and might fit the bill...

I've absolutely no chance of getting a question 7 about the NFL.
Old 13 November 2018, 02:20 PM

For 6 I'm going to guess Bob Dylan
Old 13 November 2018, 03:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I think one of them is Peru.
Quote:

2. Despite its sixteen nominations in 2016, Hamilton was unable to break the Tony Award record of what showbiz musical, which won twelve Tonys in 2001?
Hairspray no, wait, The Producers.
Quote:

3. In 2011, Maria Bello briefly played the Helen Mirren role in a U.S. remake of what hit British TV series?
As Time Goes By (yes, I know that was actually Dame Judy).
Quote:

Nosethrils, or better yet, nostrils.
Quote:

Iran?
Quote:

6. What musician is also the only solo songwriter ever to have covers of his songs top the Billboard pop, country, R&B, and adult contemporary charts?
My not-so-wild guess is going to be Billy Joel.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these NBA and NFL teams, and no others? Bulls, Celtics, Clippers, Jets, Knicks, Giants, Lakers, Mavericks, Nets, Nuggets, Pistons, Raiders, Raptors, 76ers, Wizards.

Enjoy!
None of them are in Seattle.

Seaboe
Old 13 November 2018, 03:34 PM

Rent?

Nostrils.

Bob Dylan?