snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 31 October 2018, 03:56 PM

Yours looks like a good answer - I thought "I bet Seaboe's right" when I saw it. She wasn't in the same place as her partner, as far as I know, so she had to be somewhere.
Old 31 October 2018, 04:19 PM

OK, just to clarify and make sure I've now got this right:

In flag semaphore, flags are used to signal, but the only thing that matters is the position of the flags; while 'O' flags are commonly used, any flag whatsoever could be used, and what flag is used makes no difference to the meaning?

See, I didn't know that. So I guess that's a thing I learned today; or at any rate a thing I learned yesterday.
Old 31 October 2018, 04:34 PM

Yes, that is right as far as I know! When I learned semaphore for the Cub Scouts (which I've long forgotten) we weren't told anything about using a specific flag to signal. I think we were supposed to use pocket handkerchiefs, in fact. Children carried them in those days. Or just our arms.

These days you'd probably be better off using the torch setting on your phone as the signal flag, if you had two of them! Which you could also use for morse code, and more people might understand it without having to look it up. Or you could just make a phone call...
Old 31 October 2018, 04:40 PM

There's an app for that.
Old 31 October 2018, 04:45 PM

Cell Phone

I think there's an app for making a phone call as well!
Old 31 October 2018, 05:04 PM

I have an app from Pizza Hut so I can use my phone to order pizza.
Old 31 October 2018, 05:45 PM

I have an app that lets me look up phone numbers so I can call and order pizza from any place I want...

Old 31 October 2018, 07:24 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
She [Seaboe's answer to #4] wasn't in the same place as her partner, as far as I know, so she had to be somewhere.
That was pretty much my train of thought. Plus, they were divorced some time previous to his downfall. He had to stick her somewhere.

Seaboe
Old 01 November 2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is right as far as I know! When I learned semaphore for the Cub Scouts (which I've long forgotten) we weren't told anything about using a specific flag to signal. I think we were supposed to use pocket handkerchiefs, in fact. Children carried them in those days. Or just our arms.

These days you'd probably be better off using the torch setting on your phone as the signal flag, if you had two of them! Which you could also use for morse code, and more people might understand it without having to look it up. Or you could just make a phone call...
So the position of the flags themselves -- whether the flag's held up, or trailing down, or out to the side -- also makes no difference? The only thing that matters is the location of the hands, and the flags are only being used to improve visibility of the hands?

(I'm not at all sure that most people understand any Morse beyond SOS. And I can't remember whether that's three short -three long -- three short or the other way around; though I'd expect anybody I was signalling at to make a guess that that was what I was trying to say. But then, I don't know how to say even that in semaphore.)
Old 01 November 2018, 03:02 PM

I don't think the direction the flag itself is pointing makes any difference - I can't see how you'd control that anyway. You can do semaphore just using your arms, if people can see well enough. The signals are in Wikipedia (and they do show the 'O' flag being used) but it also says that a different flag ('P') is standard for land based signalling, and that:

Quote:
It is still used during underway replenishment at sea and is acceptable for emergency communication in daylight or using lighted wands instead of flags, at night.

... Flags are not required; their purpose is to make the characters more obvious.
That's marked "citation needed" but I'm happy enough to believe it, having been taught semaphore signalling without flags! The Wikipedia article seems overly based on particular conventions that it assumes are a universal part of the system without saying where they come from, to me, but the first article that came up just for "semaphore" was about a different meaning in computing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_semaphore

(eta) I like the Japanese system - essentially they actually mime drawing the character using the flags... (although not exactly, of course!)
Old 01 November 2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
(I'm not at all sure that most people understand any Morse beyond SOS. And I can't remember whether that's three short -three long -- three short or the other way around....)
Actually, it's three long - three short - three long: ...---... if you prefer. I've been told a repeating SOSOSOSOSOS (...---...---...---...---...---...) is also acceptable, in which case it doesn't really matter what comes first.

Also, technically it's not "SOS", which would have short gaps between letters (i.e. ... --- ...) but one continuous stream.
Old 01 November 2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
(I'm not at all sure that most people understand any Morse beyond SOS. And I can't remember whether that's three short -three long -- three short or the other way around; though I'd expect anybody I was signalling at to make a guess that that was what I was trying to say.
Just remember Short-Short-Short. But I agree, anyone seeing OSO OSO OSO is probably going to check it out, just in case.

Quote:
But then, I don't know how to say even that in semaphore.)
Put your left arm up at a 45 angle. Put your right arm up at a 60 angle. Then wave them frantically over your head.
Old 01 November 2018, 04:13 PM

United Kingdom

Seems like an appropriate time for this:

Old 02 November 2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think the direction the flag itself is pointing makes any difference - I can't see how you'd control that anyway.
Flags generally are attached to a stick or stiff wire or something of the sort. While the flag portion itself is going to go with either gravity or the wind, you can certainly hold the stick so that the flag end is down, or up, or out to the side. As this could triple the number of signals that could be sent I would have thought that a system using flags would use this as part of the signal; but then of course you'd need to have two different semaphore code systems, one for when you had something available that could be held in different positions and one for when you only had handkerchiefs, or something of that sort, for which that wouldn't work. Also I suppose if visibility were bad and whoever was being signaled to could only see the flags and not the hands holding them it might be difficult to tell in what position the flag was being held.
Old 06 November 2018, 12:51 PM

Good Tuesday to all. Here we go again ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. In the early years of his career, Georges Braque said he was paired with what other painter as if they were "mountain climbers roped together"?
Braque is best known for developing Cubism in conjunction with his close friend and collaborator Pablo Picasso. They were never REAL-LIFE mountain climbers together, as far as I know. But that's a fun premise for a sitcom.

2. What animal is the only ratite native to Africa?
A ratite is not a rodent but a subclass of flightless birds (from a Latin word meaning "raft-shaped," referring to their breastbones). The only African ratite is the largest one of them all, the ostrich.

3. What successful reality TV show actually started off as a spin-off of a very different ABC series about Beverly Hills plastic surgeons?
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is so named because the original Extreme Makeover focused on remodeled noses and cheekbones, not breakfast nooks and bonus rooms.

4. For the last fifteen years before it was abandoned, the chateau known as the Petit Trianon was used as a refuge by what famous woman?
The Petit Trianon was the small chateau at Versailles that Marie Antoinette used (unsuccessfully, in the end) to get away from it all.

5. In an unpleasant mental image, a small, temporary uptick in a declining stock price is known as a "bounce" of what?
Whens stocks briefly recover from a big fall, it's call a "dead cat bounce." Like a dead cat, they generally don't "bounce" very high.

6. What wine is named for one of the largest cities in Iran, though the modern version is mostly exported from Australia?
The fifth largest city in Iran is Shiraz, though modern Shiraz wine has little in common with the historical Persian wine industry that made the name famous before alcohol was banned in Iran.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these albums? Band on the Run by Paul McCartney and Wings, Graceland by Paul Simon, Kala by MIA, No Line on the Horizon by U2, Pandemonium by Killing Joke, Think Tank by Blur, The Visitor by Mick Fleetwood, Yandhi by Kanye West.
Each of those records was recorded, at least in part, in Africa. However, "Africa," the Toto song, was recorded in Los Angeles.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What writer, born in 1883 in modern-day Lebanon, is the second best-selling poet of all time, after Shakespeare?

2. What stage name has Queens rapper Nora Lum used since she was twelve, a decade before recording her debut album, 2014's Yellow Ranger?

3. What sulfate mineral, the second softest on the Mohs scale, is the main ingredient in most drywall?

4. What distinctive color was the annual guidebook for "Negro motorists" published for Jim Crow-era African-Americans from 1936 to 1966?

5. What company's tap-to-pay app is the top mobile payment service in the U.S., with more users than Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay?

6. Which Latin American country was the first to accept Japanese immigration, with the result that people of Japanese ancestry make up 1.4% of the population today?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these movies? Blade Runner 2049, Ed Wood, Ferdinand, The Godfather, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Magic Mike, Predator, The Princess Bride, Roadhouse, Spider-Man.

Enjoy!
Old 06 November 2018, 01:31 PM

3. What sulfate mineral, the second softest on the Mohs scale, is the main ingredient in most drywall?

Gypsum

6. Which Latin American country was the first to accept Japanese immigration, with the result that people of Japanese ancestry make up 1.4% of the population today?

Peru
Old 06 November 2018, 01:31 PM

So it was Marie Antoinette after all.

I haven't done well this week - the only one I know is the first one, and I'm not even sure of the spelling for that!

1. Khalil Ghibran.

2. Is that Missy Elliot?

3. Drywall is what we in the UK call plasterboard, isn't it? Calcium sulphate maybe?

4. I've heard of the Blue Book but I don't know if that's anything to do with this...!

5. No idea. Last time I was in the USA I actually had to sign things to pay, even if those things were electronic...

6. Don't know this either.

And I don't have any ideas for number 7.
Old 06 November 2018, 02:27 PM

2. What stage name has Queens rapper Nora Lum used since she was twelve, a decade before recording her debut album, 2014's Yellow Ranger? Is that Awkwafina?

3. What sulfate mineral, the second softest on the Mohs scale, is the main ingredient in most drywall? gypsum

4. What distinctive color was the annual guidebook for "Negro motorists" published for Jim Crow-era African-Americans from 1936 to 1966? green

5. What company's tap-to-pay app is the top mobile payment service in the U.S., with more users than Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay? Walmart?
Old 06 November 2018, 03:07 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What writer, born in 1883 in modern-day Lebanon, is the second best-selling poet of all time, after Shakespeare?
Clearly, not Emily Dickinson. If it weren't for the birth date, I'd say Omar Khayyam, but that's way too late for him. I'm going totally off the wall for my final answer, and saying Ogden Nash.
Quote:

2. What stage name has Queens rapper Nora Lum used since she was twelve, a decade before recording her debut album, 2014's Yellow Ranger?
Not a single twinkle of a clue, so I'm saying Lil No.
Quote:

Ah, at last a question I can answer! Gypsum.
Quote:

4. What distinctive color was the annual guidebook for "Negro motorists" published for Jim Crow-era African-Americans from 1936 to 1966?
Yellow. I doubt that's right, but hey, it's a color.
Quote:

5. What company's tap-to-pay app is the top mobile payment service in the U.S., with more users than Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay?
I don't use tap-to-pay, and have no clue what the answer is, but I'll say Amazon anyway.
Quote:

Brazil.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these movies? Blade Runner 2049, Ed Wood, Ferdinand, The Godfather, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Magic Mike, Predator, The Princess Bride, Roadhouse, Spider-Man.
That is truly an eclectic bunch of movies. I've only seen 2 of them (Ed Wood and Ferdinand), and can't think of anything those two have in common.

Seaboe
Old 06 November 2018, 06:09 PM

Another rough week for me.

1. Don't know.

2. Don't know.

3. Gypsum.

4. Green.

5. I'm stumped. I'd have wagered on Android, followed by Apple then Samsung - but apparently whatever is number one is ahead of all of those.

6. Brazil.

7. Nothing comes to mind.