snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 30 April 2018, 10:36 PM

Squirrel

I'll have to see if I can get some photos of the backyard squirrels. There are three of them now, and distinguishing them by their tails, I call them Stumpy, Scraggy, and Fluffy. Stumpy and Scraggy were the first two. Interesting phenomenon: The two of them got along fine, even shared the feeder at the same time, no problem. Then Fluffy showed up.

Now any time any two of them are around at the same time, there's a squirrel fight--and it doesn't matter. Stumpy fights Fluffy OR Scraggy. Ditto for the other two--any combo. And when three are there it's a battle royale. Battle squirrale, whatever. It's mostly bluff, but I've seen some nips and a little fur flying now and then. Why is two OK, but three's a fight? Any squirrelologists out there?
Old 01 May 2018, 04:13 AM

I've seen this dynamic before. I'll bet you anything Fluffy is taking smack about each of the others behind their back just to start drama.
Old 01 May 2018, 04:36 AM

I'm just amused that squirrel fights are apparently a little thing that makes Brad happy. But I suppose given his history with squirrels it would be.

...Or maybe he just posted in the wrong thread.
Old 01 May 2018, 05:16 AM

Mouse

Brad, clearly you are unfamiliar with the maxim, "Two's company, but three's a crowd."
Old 01 May 2018, 12:29 PM

During the year we have a residency that varies between two and four squirrels (I think two breeding pairs) There does tend to be more squabbles when there are only three about. If there are an even number of them, or one in its own they fill their free time by tormenting our cats.

We havenít named ours but there is one that is particularly fat that we think has been at the chestnut stores buried in our lawn!
Old 01 May 2018, 04:06 PM

They added a new voting location just down the street from me. I used to drive way out of my way, but today I was able to vote on my way to work.
Old 04 May 2018, 02:13 AM

Mouse

Yesterday, I saw a Luna Moth. I always thought those were so cool.
Old 04 May 2018, 04:47 AM

They are very cool.
Old 04 May 2018, 01:57 PM

Glasses

The vet called. Ferdinand's repeat blood test results were good, and we don't have to go looking for a different medication for his seizures. He can stay on the pheno. This makes me very happy.

Seaboe
Old 07 May 2018, 01:17 PM

My brother came down yesterday, and we checked out a local mid-century resale shop. When we walked into the second room I saw one of these*. I sat down and it was a perfect fit. So I bought it.

*That's not quite the same model/color as mine, but close.
Old 07 May 2018, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Congratulations, Lainie. Are you getting rid of something to fit this in?

Seaboe
Old 07 May 2018, 02:49 PM

I might need to move a couple things, but I'm hoping to find room for them elsewhere in the apartment. We'll be getting a new TV soon and mounting it on the wall, once that's done we'll know better how to make it work.
Old 07 May 2018, 05:55 PM

The sun coming out and the days getting longer and actually having some nice weather for a bit... it makes everybody so friendly and happy.
Old 07 May 2018, 06:57 PM

Glasses

Lainie, when mounting the TV, make sure you can see and reach any connections in the back. I've discovered that I mounted my TV too close to the corner, and plugging things in requires use of my phone as a mirror so I can see what I'm doing.

Seaboe
Old 07 May 2018, 07:42 PM

Thank you, that's helpful. We also need to make sure that it's mounted at a height that's right for us, not "average eye level." One reason I didn't mount my TV in the last two places was that the obvious spot for them was over the fireplace, and that would have put it too high.
Old 08 May 2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The sun coming out and the days getting longer and actually having some nice weather for a bit... it makes everybody so friendly and happy.
Around here, it has seemingly made people even worse drivers than usual. Over the last two days, I have seen five accidents on the road - one involving trucks towing horse trailers (with horses - they did seem unharmed). Normally I might see two or three accidents a year.
Old 08 May 2018, 05:56 AM

My new apartment has dry cleaning lockers. These are so convenient I'd pay double, but it's actually the same price as the local shop. Plus they allow you to set preferences on the app. I asked them not to put my clothes in plastic bags, since they gave me a reusable garment bag anyway, and they followed my request! I feel slightly less terrible about dry cleaning my suits without throwing away all that plastic every time!
Old 08 May 2018, 12:51 PM

I would have loved that, back when I wore dry-clean-only clothes to work.
Old 08 May 2018, 06:27 PM

I finally saw an episode of House Hunters where the buyers didn't want "open concept", preferred a smaller kitchen, didn't care if the appliances were not stainless steel and thought two sinks in the en suite bathroom were a frill and best of all didn't go through a perfectly nice house and sneer "gut job". I'm still not going to make HH must see TV but it was nice to see .

Last edited by Sue; 08 May 2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08 May 2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
thought two sinks in the en suite bathroom were a frill
Somewhat hijacking:

I'm puzzled by the two-sinks-in-the-bathroom phenomenon in general. The bathroom appliance that I think of people being urgent for an extra of isn't the sink (though I grant that many families don't want a two-holer setup.)

Is it because some people like to handwash some things and leave them to soak in a bathroom sink, thereby making it hard for others to wash hands and brush their teeth? but wouldn't an extra sink by the laundry area make more sense for that? and even if the bathroom's the room to use, wouldn't extra counter space be more handy, as that could be used for a portable basin for those who want to soak things but would have multiple other uses for those who either don't soak things or don't do it in the bathroom?

(Maybe it's so people can brush their teeth without disturbing the cat who's in the sink? I just thought of that. But, in my house, there would probably just be a cat in each sink.)
Closed Thread