snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 26 March 2018, 06:36 PM

Glasses

18th century underwear is not particularly revealing.

Seaboe
Old 26 March 2018, 07:09 PM

It was to 18th century folks. You might flash an ankle.
Old 26 March 2018, 07:12 PM

To be authentic, you probably shouldn't be wearing drawers, of course...
Old 27 March 2018, 12:14 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Yes you shameless hussy!
Old 27 March 2018, 02:06 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
To be authentic, you probably shouldn't be wearing drawers, of course...
An 18th century dress I can rip off in seconds is, by definition, not authentic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm going to flash more than an ankle--almost up to my knees!

Seaboe
Old 27 March 2018, 04:11 PM

Icon22

Down boys!

Dawn-no time for sin and vice...-Storm
Old 28 March 2018, 01:32 AM

I can't wait to give my dad his birthday present this year. I got us tickets to a David Sedaris reading and book signing. I have to wait another month until his birthday, but I wanted to tell someone, so I'm telling y'all.
Old 28 March 2018, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Something happened at work (and it is work related, not personal) that was totally unexpected, so I'm happy.

This is very vague because I cannot give specifics.

Seaboe
Old 28 March 2018, 11:31 PM

Got in the car this afternoon to pick up daughter at school and I noticed the FM radio, tuned to what I thought was our local PBS outlet (WJCT-FM 89.9) had far more static than in should. Looked closer at the radio display, and realized it was another PBS outlet, the one over in Gainesville (WULT-FM 89.1)

Same program, so I didn't notice anything wrong for a few blocks. A press of the 89.9 preset cured the problem.

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 28 March 2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: adding time of day
Old 29 March 2018, 12:57 PM

My daughter asked me the other day why I have two presets for the same station. I don't, of course. I have presets for each of the two* NPR stations in town, and she happened to switch from one to the other at a time when they were running the same program. I have both on preset because 1) they don't run the same program all the time, 2) they don't do their fundraising drives during the same week, and 3) when I go out of town, depending on the direction I'm going, one or the other often has a clear signal for longer.

*Technically there are three, because WOSU has a news-and-public-affairs station and an all-classical station, but I don't have a preset for the classical.
Old 29 March 2018, 05:40 PM

The public radio station based out of Sacramento also has repeater stations that broadcast the exact same content on different frequencies from Stockton, Tahoe City, and Quincy. So I can listen to the exact same content over a pretty large geographic area just be switching stations when the Sacramento one starts to fade.
Old 29 March 2018, 05:54 PM

There are similar arrangements here, but there are still some stretches of road where I can't get WOSU (Ohio State) or WKSU (Kent State) or any of their feeder stations.
Old 29 March 2018, 07:36 PM

Correcting the call for the Gainesville station from WULT-FM to WUFT-FM.

I think Georgia public broadcasting and South Carolina public broadcasting run the same programming for much of the day, within their respective states.* WJCT-FM has local origination from 9-10AM, a public affairs and call in show. Don't know what WUFT runs in that time slot.

My complaint about Georgia PBS is that they don't run 1A from WAMU during the 10AM-Noon timeslot, but WJCT does. My drives into Georgia almost always are during that 1A time block and WJCT drops out around Brunswick.

*No, I don't know that for a fact, but when the radio network gives the calls and city of license for all the stations in the network, pretty good chance they are carrying the same feed from the central PBS station. Anyway, point is that some states do run the same programming statewide. WJCT seems to run pretty much what they want.

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 29 March 2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: adding footnote
Old 02 April 2018, 02:10 AM

My wife is getting a lot better about dealing with her mom. We invited her over to Easter, to see the kids, eat, etc. She insisted we come to her house instead (so we could clean it, most likely.) My wife said ok. We would bring all the food and head over.
Then her mom started complaining about things and insisting on changes to things, and my wife said "No, that is not an option" and when her mom threw a fit, we had a very nice Easter here without her instead. It was a lot of fun, and we all had a much nicer time with my MIL not here.
Old 02 April 2018, 11:47 AM

We've got a house inspection tomorrow by the estate agents on behalf of the landlord but we keep the house so tidy (my housemate's aren't exactly meticulous but they're at least consistent) that we didn't really need to do much. I used it as an impetus to do a whole bunch of gardening and repair the side fence that I've been meaning to fix for a long long time.

So LTTMMH: the garden looks a lot better than it has for a while and for the first time in at least a decade none of the fences surrounding the property are missing palings or are held up by rope or propped up by sticks.
Old 02 April 2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
*No, I don't know that for a fact, but when the radio network gives the calls and city of license for all the stations in the network, pretty good chance they are carrying the same feed from the central PBS station. Anyway, point is that some states do run the same programming statewide. WJCT seems to run pretty much what they want.
It would be more accurate to say that in some states, public radio stations all broadcast the same programming. Public broadcasting isn't really organized at the state level, although it may appear that way in a state where there's only one PB station, or one primary one, and repeaters from that station.

In Ohio, there is no PB station that could be defined as "central." WKSU has, I think, the most repeater stations, but they don't cover the whole state.* They don't need to, because there are PB stations in all the major cities and several small college towns.

*ETA and neither the main station or any of the repeaters are centrally located, either.
Old 03 April 2018, 02:51 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
we had a very nice Easter here without her instead. It was a lot of fun, and we all had a much nicer time with my MIL not here.
Congratulations to your wife in growing what the maven at Etiquette Hell calls "a polite spine." I'm happy your Easter worked out.

As to PBS stations, where I grew up, there were three--WSU, U of I, and I think the third was out of Spokane. They all played mostly the same shows, but at different times. There may have been repeater stations as well. We had cable (because in Pullman, in the 60s, you had cable or you didn't have TV), and did not get the repeaters.

Lastly, for those interested in The Dress, here is a link to my presentation. I didn't win anything, but I nailed the presentation.

Seaboe
Old 03 April 2018, 03:39 PM

Cheer

The vending machine on the lower level of my workplace is back in action!
Old 03 April 2018, 05:58 PM

Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Lastly, for those interested in The Dress, here is a link to my presentation. I didn't win anything, but I nailed the presentation.
*APPLAUSE*

Now I have a different song stuck in my head, but I won't mention it so I don't ruin the reveal.
Old 03 April 2018, 07:16 PM

Glasses

Thank you, Die Capacitrix. I'd be interested to know what song at some point.

Another thing making me happy...

...The father of one of the attorneys in my group designed the Ford Torino, and last night I saw one in my neighborhood. They're much rarer than the Grand Torino, so it was cool to see the right model.

Seaboe
Closed Thread