snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 08 February 2018, 08:18 PM

Icon07 Bermuda legalized same-sex marriage a year ago. This week it abolished it.

In an unusual move, Bermuda has abolished same-sex marriage less than a year after it was legalized, replacing the same-sex unions with domestic partnerships.

Bermuda Gov. John Rankin signed a bill into law Wednesday that reverses an earlier Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage. The new law gives domestic partners in the British island territory similar rights as married couples but without the legal title.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8a1650186557
Old 09 February 2018, 01:36 AM

I never understood the problem with using the term "marriage" for SSM. Is it just homophobes being petty?
Old 09 February 2018, 05:16 AM

I think some of it is that. Some of it is clinging to privilege. There's the religious aspect, but I personally believe that's more often used to justify an already-existing prejudice than it is the source of it. Some people just don't like change.

The slightly worrying thing here is that it's the first case (I believe) of a country that has recognized same-sex marriage reversing itself (although apparently couples who were already married under the law will still be considered married; there just can't be any more marriages performed). I don't think it will mark any kind of a turning point where the trend towards acceptance of same-sex marriage and relationships will be reversed, but it's still discouraging.
Old 09 February 2018, 09:30 AM

California did the same thing in 2008. It was enacted by order of a court, then the law was changed to overturn the court's ruling.
Old 09 February 2018, 11:24 PM

Actually that's a good point - I ought to have remembered that. Sheesh.