snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 January 2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
They thought that he meant beating up some other little guy, not them.

You know, like how they don't think they're poor, they're just inconvenienced millionaires.
Yeah a friend of the family lived in the US a few decades ago and still has friends there. Many of them have small businesses and are struggling and voted for him because they thought he would fix all that. The thing is my parents and many of my extended family have had small businesses. It has always been hard, there is always been a chance the business could fail. I think they have rose tinted glasses on about the past and their small business and their futures.

Back in the 80's I got my grade 12 formal* dress at a particular dress shop. We got a few other formal outfits there around the time and one day the owner of shop told my Mum she originally wanted to take the shop next door and have it as a shop for formal men's outfits with some silly name that connected to her shop and I am guessing you would get matching outfits. But for whatever reason the strip mall owners wouldn't let her do it. "It would have been brilliant, BRILLANT." she said to Mum. I couldn't really see the brilliance in her plans. Still can't. But she was sure the building owners had ruined them for her.

I also had a friend at university, that wanted to be a pilot but there was some medical reason he couldn't**. And then we had a pilot strike. He said one day "I hope the pilots bring this country to it's KNEES" And I was thinking "over reaction much, you want to this country to go into recession just when we are about to leave university and be looking for work?" I think, in his mind, he was a pilot, the reason he couldn't was stupid and was going to support them, no matter what. Cause, as I said who wasn't a pilot for a stupid reason, so someone needed to be punished.

Neither person were what I would have thought of being against "The Man" as such but they didn't have their ideal life for some silly reason (in their mind at least)

And that is what I think has happened. Rose tinted idealism about American greatness in the past and miss guided opinions of why it isn't that way now.

*basically the senior prom.
**I think he had a epileptic fit, only once
Old 22 January 2018, 12:43 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the height given is accurate. The man is a terrible sloucher and gives the impression of shortness due to his squat build.

But that weight seems all wrong for the given height. It wouldn't surprise me if it was self-reported and based on his weight from many years ago. Unless he has lost a lot of weight very recently - I don't know, I haven't seen many up-to-date photos - he certainly doesn't match up to the average build of men of the same height and weight.
Old 22 January 2018, 02:03 PM

His driver's license from 2012 showed his height at 6'2". So either he lied about his height to make himself shorter then, has grown an inch since then, or is lying about his height to make himself taller now. I'd put serious money down on option 3.
Old 23 January 2018, 01:46 PM

Just to play devil's advocate here: it's quite possible that he didn't pay much attention to his height on his driver's license -- do people at Trump's income level even deal with such things themselves? or do they have a hireling do it? I have trouble imagining Trump waiting in line at the motor vehicle bureau. Maybe he sent in his eye test from his own doctor and provided a picture; I think there may be provisions to do that.

And depending on just how somebody is standing, height can easily vary an inch without anyone trying deliberately to make it do so -- especially as actual height probably usually falls somewhere between inches, and gets rounded up or down by whoever records it.
Old 23 January 2018, 02:36 PM

I have great difficulty believing that a narcissist like Trump would not know that he was 6'3", if that were true, and claim every bit of it on an official document.

I doubt that in 2012 he would not have to show up in person at the DMV, but it could be a self-reported height, so I don't know that it matters.
Old 23 January 2018, 03:34 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Trump just thinks he's 6'3", so he buys his ties from a Big-And-Tall store. He's actually 5'3", which is why his ties hang down to his knees.
Old 24 January 2018, 01:47 AM

Mouse

I just assume that every word out of Trump’s mouth is a lie, including the “and” and the “the.” The day Trump tells the truth about something, the sky has turned to blood, stars are literally falling to the earth, and a massive crevasse as opened, revealing four guys on horses who are all out of NFBSKs to give.
Old 25 January 2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Trump just thinks he's 6'3", so he buys his ties from a Big-And-Tall store. He's actually 5'3", which is why his ties hang down to his knees.
Oooohhhh! I was wondering about that!
Old 25 January 2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The people who believe it would believe that Trump poops solid dark matter if he said so.
Wait, are you saying he's a Niblonian?

Old 26 January 2018, 12:51 AM

No, he just thinks he's one.
Old 26 January 2018, 01:53 AM

Mouse

Yeah, Nibbler's actually cute, even if he doesn't want to admit it. The Feast of a Thousand Hams is also probably healthier than what Trump does with a Big Mac every evening.

Also, do you really think that Trump may have been around seventeen years before the Big Bang.
Old 26 January 2018, 01:15 PM

If he had been, we would be calling it the Biggest Bang, the Best Bang.