snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 06 January 2018, 05:37 AM

GenYus, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The Rohrabacher-Farr amendment doesn't invalidate the holding in Gonzalez v. Raich, and I don't see why it would limit enforcement against recreational use.
Old 06 January 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Nitpick, they are elves. And yes, that is a common comparison.
That makes no sense. The Keebler elves would want to sell more cookies, and so would support more people smoking pot and getting the munchies. Maybe he is a fake elf?
Old 07 January 2018, 10:30 AM

This thread about cannabis is now unintentionally funny if you come in without context on page 2 and see people quibbling about whether "those things" are elves or dwarves...
Old 07 January 2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I've noticed a difference. I'm one of those who think pot smells like skunk, and certain places now stink to high heaven.

Other than that, I'd agree.

Seaboe
I know I already commented on this, but FWIW, I smell skunk weed in certain places in Columbus, too, and it's not legal here. A few weeks ago there were three people passing an exceptionally skunky joint around inside one of the shelters at my bus stop.

Not all weed smells like skunk to me -- some of it smells like pine trees -- but the cheap stuff smells like skunk, and that's all I ever smell out and about. I can think of a few reasons why people who can afford the good stuff would be less likely to smoke it in public (owning their own cars, for one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
I have no clue what dispensaries look like in Washington state, but in Colorado their signs usually include a green cross and/or a green medical seal. It was the medicinal aspect that was pushed to get legalization passed here, but I don't know with any certainty if the symbols on the signs are a requirement or not.
I didn't notice any commonality, or any medical-ish symbol, at the ones in WA. I don't think the medicinal aspect figured as much in the WA decision.
Old 07 January 2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
I have no clue what dispensaries look like in Washington state, but in Colorado their signs usually include a green cross and/or a green medical seal. It was the medicinal aspect that was pushed to get legalization passed here, but I don't know with any certainty if the symbols on the signs are a requirement or not.
It is not a requirement. It's just that it was legalized for "medicinal" use first and the industry used that as branding to help folks ID dispensaries. When we went to full legality, the consumers already recognized the signage and there was no real reason to change it, but, certainly, not every dispensary uses those visual cues.
Old 07 January 2018, 09:58 PM

IIRC, Washington went directly to full legalization, so that might explain the difference.
Old 07 January 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But Wickard v Filburn was not followed by a Congressional law specifically denying itself the ability to regulate wheat production. And it was a law intended to regulate pricing of wheat, it was not based on controlling distribution of an illicit product.

The decision in Gonzales v. Raich was specifically based on interstate distribution from a licit market to an illicit one. As the number of illicit markets is reduced, so is the justification for the Federal control.
Congress can't pass a law limiting it's own commerce clause authority. It could pass a law saying it won't do something in the future, but if it has constitutional authority to do that thing, and it passes a law doing that thing, then it has impliedly amended or repealed the former law.

You are mistaken about Gonzales v. Raich, and commerce clause authority as it stands now. And I think the illicit vs licit market was more of an argument tactic that favored the arguments against commerce clause authority. It's was not enough to defeat it before, and it is a less persuasive argument when there are clearly commercial markets in multiple adjacent states.
Old 08 January 2018, 12:49 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Nitpick, they are elves. And yes, that is a common comparison.
I thought that sounded wrong!
Old 08 January 2018, 04:51 PM

Canada is legalizing marijuana soon (July). It will be interesting to see if border security gets tighter with more people being grilled about their potential marijuana use when they try to come in. Personally, as someone who is pretty open about his marijuana usage, in a city where its pretty openly tolerated, I can't (but of course I can) believe Sessions is going to start another war on drugs.
Old 08 January 2018, 08:23 PM

Canada

In anticipation of the legalization of pot, there are two new shops going into business in our little town. Our main street has been dying over the last few years and now there are two new businesses. They are only a couple blocks from the RCMP. Sounds good.
Old 09 January 2018, 12:24 PM

Glasses

Mari-ja-wanna's bad for you, MmmmK?
~Mr. Mackey