snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 04 January 2018, 06:42 PM

Jaded Jeff Sessions is going after legalized marijuana

Well kinda sorta...

Let's all party like it's 1969!
Now I've never tried MJ, but I've heard that far from causing violence, it mellows you out and increases your appetite. That does not sound violence-inducing to me. I guess Sessions doesn't know, or care, that our drugs laws were created to keep those icky minorities under control. What Fourth Amendment? What's that?

ETA: the guy reminds me of the Keebler Dwarf!
Old 04 January 2018, 06:47 PM

An old-time snopester used to quote a friend to the effect that you never hear about someone smoking a bunch of weed and then "beating up his old lady."

Sessions is obsessed with marijuana. He needs help.
Old 04 January 2018, 06:55 PM

It sounds like he's been watching Reefer Madness. DH's cousin uses it recreationally and to the best of my knowledge he's never beat anyone up. Amazingly enough, he's able to hold down a good job and only uses the stuff on his days off! Incredible huh?
The comparison to heroin sounds to me like comparing a house cat to a saber-toothed tiger.
Old 04 January 2018, 07:00 PM

He really does seem to want to pick a stupid battle. 64% of Americans think it should be legal, and I am not seeing a lot of issues come out of Colorado or Washington. There are SO many other things the DoJ could work on, such as working to make non-white Americans trust the local police, but he wants to focus on this instead.
Old 04 January 2018, 07:22 PM

One of our Lyft drivers in WA told us that when a friend asked him what is was like to live in a state with legalized marijuana, he said "No different. It's like they legalized water."
Old 04 January 2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Sessions’ plan drew immediate strong objection from Republican Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, one of eight states that have legalized marijuana for recreational use.

Gardner said in a tweet that the Justice Department “has trampled on the will of the voters” in Colorado and other states. He said the action would contradict what Sessions had told him before the attorney general was confirmed and that he was prepared “to take all steps necessary” to fight the step including holding up the confirmation of Justice Department nominees.
This could be fun.
Old 04 January 2018, 07:53 PM

It could get real interesting if a conviction is appealed to a higher court and the Federal government is required to show how they have jurisdiction over intrastate commerce. Gonzales v. Raich was over medicinal use and the Rohrabacher–Farr amendment undoes prosecution for medical use. And only three of the justices from that case are still on the bench.

SCOTUS is usually very reluctant to undo prior courts decisions, but the decision in Gonzales v. Raich was based on the idea that Congress must be able to regulate intrastate commerce when such commerce can have a substantial effect on interstate commerce. IE, if there is a huge supply of legal marijuana in California, it would be smuggled to other states where it is not legal, thereby becoming interstate commerce. But with more and more states legalizing marijuana for recreations use, such interstate commerce would be less likely as there is no need to smuggle marijuana into Oregon when it can be legally grown, sold, and used in Oregon.
Old 04 January 2018, 08:53 PM

I worried about this from the moment Trump won the election -- really, it might have applied to any Republican. Not that I think Trump himself cares that much, but after all, Obama made the decision for the feds not to go after states with legal marijuana (at least medical marijuana) and anything Obama does is Bad.

It would be amusing if the end result was a bill on Trump's desk changing the federal laws on marijuana -- probably not national legalization, but either allowing states to decide or at least getting off of schedule 1. I wonder if he's sign it.
Old 04 January 2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I guess Sessions doesn't know, or care, that our drugs laws were created to keep those icky minorities under control.
It's Sessions. That's probably the point.
Old 05 January 2018, 02:39 AM

Mouse

Quote:
I guess Sessions doesn't know, or care, that our drugs laws were created to keep those icky minorities under control.:
I think that’s the whole point as to why Sessions is going after legalized pot. The War on Drugs was created from Day One so the government could come down on social activists and PoC, two groups that I’m fairly certain Sessions doesn’t have very fond feelings towards.
Old 05 January 2018, 11:43 AM

I think the main reason is that the Republicans have always been a strong centralist party, and really oppose ideas like "states rights" and devolving power from the Federal government down to the states or localities. They really want the Feds to control state and local issues.

Wait, don't they say just the opposite? That must just be when the state wants to do what the Republicans want done.
Old 05 January 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
One of our Lyft drivers in WA told us that when a friend asked him what is was like to live in a state with legalized marijuana, he said "No different. It's like they legalized water."
I've noticed a difference. I'm one of those who think pot smells like skunk, and certain places now stink to high heaven.

Other than that, I'd agree.

Seaboe
Old 05 January 2018, 02:31 PM

If the places in question are public places, someone is violating the law.
Old 05 January 2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That pretty much sums up how I feel about Colorado's legalization of it. I don't use it myself, and haven't used it since it became legal (it's not my thing).

If not for the places I see along the road that sell it, I'd have no awareness its being sold here at all.

~Psihala
Old 05 January 2018, 03:56 PM

As a visitor, I noticed 1) dispensaries/signs for dispensaries; 2) ads for dispensaries; 3) help wanted ads for jobs at dispensaries. The few dispensaries I saw in person (from the outside, FTR) looked much like any other business.
Old 05 January 2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It could get real interesting if a conviction is appealed to a higher court and the Federal government is required to show how they have jurisdiction over intrastate commerce. Gonzales v. Raich was over medicinal use and the Rohrabacher–Farr amendment undoes prosecution for medical use. And only three of the justices from that case are still on the bench.

SCOTUS is usually very reluctant to undo prior courts decisions, but the decision in Gonzales v. Raich was based on the idea that Congress must be able to regulate intrastate commerce when such commerce can have a substantial effect on interstate commerce. IE, if there is a huge supply of legal marijuana in California, it would be smuggled to other states where it is not legal, thereby becoming interstate commerce. But with more and more states legalizing marijuana for recreations use, such interstate commerce would be less likely as there is no need to smuggle marijuana into Oregon when it can be legally grown, sold, and used in Oregon.
The federal government has had clear commerce clause authority to regulate purely intrastate activity (that was not even commercial) when it can affect interstate commerce and thereby frustrate the regulation of interstate commerce, since the New Deal. In Wickard v. Filburn, the Supreme Court upheld a federal law that regulated the production of wheat grown for home consumption.

I don't think there would be the least doubt that the federal government has commerce clause authority to regulate full-blown commercial markets in multiple states, even if they each purport to be fully intrastate markets. Gonzales v. Raich was mostly a test of whether the right wing of the Supreme Court would adhere to their purported federalist principles, which had led to rollbacks of commerce clause authority in Morrison (violence against women act) and Lopez (gun regulation), when it came to regulations that they were in favor of (medical marijuana). It turned out that two of the conservative justices could distinguish the prior cases and uphold the laws regulating marijuana.

Last edited by erwins; 05 January 2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05 January 2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
As a visitor, I noticed 1) dispensaries/signs for dispensaries; 2) ads for dispensaries; 3) help wanted ads for jobs at dispensaries. The few dispensaries I saw in person (from the outside, FTR) looked much like any other business.
I have no clue what dispensaries look like in Washington state, but in Colorado their signs usually include a green cross and/or a green medical seal. It was the medicinal aspect that was pushed to get legalization passed here, but I don't know with any certainty if the symbols on the signs are a requirement or not.

Like I said, it's not my thing.

Otherwise, yeah, they don't look any different on the outside than any other business in the area.

~Psihala
(*The closest I've gotten to knowing anything about legal marijuana in Colorado is that my across the sidewalk neighbor works as a marijuana leaf trimmer.)

Last edited by Psihala; 05 January 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05 January 2018, 04:16 PM

But Wickard v Filburn was not followed by a Congressional law specifically denying itself the ability to regulate wheat production. And it was a law intended to regulate pricing of wheat, it was not based on controlling distribution of an illicit product.

The decision in Gonzales v. Raich was specifically based on interstate distribution from a licit market to an illicit one. As the number of illicit markets is reduced, so is the justification for the Federal control.
Old 05 January 2018, 10:42 PM

Default The Cannabis Industry Is Well-Armed to Fight Jeff Sessions

On Thursday, marijuana-hating Attorney General Jeff Sessions invalidated a document that has served as the legal scaffolding for the state-level pushes to legalize recreational use of marijuana. There are, as Mark Joseph Stern writes in Slate, many reasons to believe that some kind of federal crackdown on marijuana could be in the works. But there are also plenty of reasons the legal marijuana industry no longer needs to fear a prohibitionist like Sessions.

https://slate.com/business/2018/01/t...y-help-it.html
Old 06 January 2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:

ETA: the guy reminds me of the Keebler Dwarf!
Nitpick, they are elves. And yes, that is a common comparison.