snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 April 2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
They only way to nullify a Supreme Court decision is to pass a Constitutional Amendment through the electoral process.
Well, there's also Andrew Jackson's method of just ignoring it, but that's somewhat harder to get away with nowadays.
Old 15 April 2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Well, there's also Andrew Jackson's method of just ignoring it, but that's somewhat harder to get away with nowadays.
Well, that and just have a new Supreme Court decision. For that matter, I think that constitutional amendments can go through without elections, in the sense that sitting legislators and governors and such could draft and vote on one and get passed between elections. That seems unlikely.

I was more trying to make the point that there is not much of a legal "second amendment solution" to an unjust law. Courts and ballot boxes are for that.

Then again, I suppose if my local town decides to outlaw my heartbeat, and sends an enforcer to come implement the law, then I might have some right to avail myself of a second amendment solution in order to buy time to seek judicial relief.

I would have to buy a gun first, as I am not currently second amendment enabled.
Old 15 April 2014, 08:29 PM

You are second amendment enabled, what you are not is second amendment exercising.
Old 24 April 2014, 02:41 PM

Default A Defiant Rancher Savors the Audience That Rallied to His Side

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/us...w&rref=us&_r=0

Quote:
But if the federal government has moved on, Mr. Bundy — a father of 14 and a registered Republican — has not.

He said he would continue holding a daily news conference; on Saturday, it drew one reporter and one photographer, so Mr. Bundy used the time to officiate at what was in effect a town meeting with supporters, discussing, in a long, loping discourse, the prevalence of abortion, the abuses of welfare and his views on race.

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”
I, for one, am shocked, SHOCKED that this guy is a racist. And contemptuous of those who receive government support. You could knock me over with a feather right about now.
Old 24 April 2014, 02:45 PM

Well that should help to tie up some of the support this guy is getting.. I've heard plenty of people comment about how he's a victim of the government, and while some of those people may well hold bigoted opinions I don't think any of them would go so far as the quote above.

Of course, technically, such statements wouldn't make his previous complaints 'wrong', but they may at least ease up on the support of him.
Old 24 April 2014, 03:18 PM

Nevada Constitution, Article I, Section 2: "All political power is inherent in the people[.] Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it. But the Paramount Allegiance of every citizen is due to the Federal Government in the exercise of all its Constitutional powers as the same have been or may be defined by the Supreme Court of the United States; and no power exists in the people of this or any other State of the Federal Union to dissolve their connection therewith or perform any act tending to impair[,] subvert, or resist the Supreme Authority of the government of the United States. The Constitution of the United States confers full power on the Federal Government to maintain and Perpetuate its existance [existence], and whensoever any portion of the States, or people thereof attempt to secede from the Federal Union, or forcibly resist the Execution of its laws, the Federal Government may, by warrant of the Constitution, employ armed force in compelling obedience to its Authority." http://leg.state.nv.us/Const/NVConst.html
Old 24 April 2014, 03:19 PM

His previous "complaints" were already nonsense.
Old 24 April 2014, 03:26 PM

Well sure but I'm talking about people who feel otherwise; I don't expect them to change their mind about whether such complaints were 'wrong' or not just cause there is evidence this guy is a massive bigot, but some may quiet down a bit after that last article considering how over the top and indefensible it is.

I have many friends who aren't 'big government' fans.. But I don't know of any who would consider slavery (even under the best of conditions) to be better.
Old 24 April 2014, 03:27 PM

I think Mickey Blue was pointing out that being a racist didn't make him wrong, that being wrong was what made him wrong. IOW, a blind pig may find a nut just not in this case.
Old 24 April 2014, 03:53 PM

Are you sure?

It certainly looks like someone found a nut.

And also, Republicans are now scrambling to distance themselves from him
Old 24 April 2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Well sure but I'm talking about people who feel otherwise. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I think Mickey Blue was pointing out that being a racist didn't make him wrong, that being wrong was what made him wrong. IOW, a blind pig may find a nut just not in this case.
Aw, gotcha.
Old 24 April 2014, 05:01 PM

He's accusing people of living off government subsidies? When he saves millions by exploiting federally maintained land without paying anything to use it?
Old 24 April 2014, 05:51 PM

His situation is different. Just like how good conservative women get abortions because they had a birth control failure, not like all those sluts who are using it for fun.
Old 25 April 2014, 02:38 PM

Cliven Bundy: Martin Luther King Jr. Would've Wanted Me to Be Able to Call Black People "Nigroes"

Well, that's not quite what he said. What he said is maybe worse.

Quote:
We don't have freedom to say what we want. If I call — if I say 'negro' or 'black boy' or 'slave,' I'm — If those people cannot take those kind of words and not be offensive, then Martin Luther King hasn't got his job done yet.
Yeah, that lazy MLK hasn't done any work in 46 years!
Old 25 April 2014, 02:47 PM

From a CNN interview:

Quote:
He backtracked somewhat, insisting he "didn't really mean it to compare (African-Americans' current plight) with slavery. I meant to compare it with maybe life on the farm or life in the South, where they had some chickens and the gardens, and they had something to do."
I don't think Mr. Bundy knows much about sharecropping.
Old 25 April 2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things
Yep. Slavery, it sure was pro-family.
Old 25 April 2014, 03:29 PM

How many slave families were split up by divorce? Well there you go.
Old 25 April 2014, 03:54 PM

So what he wanted is for them to have something to do, so they wouldn't live off the government and would be motivated and useful to themselves and others.. But the best way he could think of to express this desire was to argue they were better off as property.
Old 25 April 2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
We don't have freedom to say what we want. If I call — if I say 'negro' or 'black boy' or 'slave,' I'm — If those people cannot take those kind of words and not be offensive, then Martin Luther King hasn't got his job done yet.
Gosh, you're right, Mr. Bundy! I'd forgotten about the part of that famous speech of Dr. King's:

"I have a dream that one day, my children will toughen up enough to endure demeaning labels without feeling the need to respond. I have a dream that one day, they will be judged by the color of their skin and have the good sense to keep their heads down and shut up. I have a dream that the term "uppity" will no longer be on the lips of white Americans, for every negro will know his or her place. My friends, I have been to the mountaintop, and frankly, it's a little scary up there. Let us look forward to that day when we can join in the words of an old minstrel song in proclaiming "Carry me back to old Virginny... ...dat's where dis old darkie's heart am longed to go!"

(Or something like that. I was born some years after the height of the Civil Rights era, so I may have some of the wording a bit wrong.)

Gah.
Old 25 April 2014, 03:58 PM

So.. Wait.. Does Bundy think there is some undead Martin Luther King out there fighting for some perverse interpretation of equality?