snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 05 February 2018, 01:19 PM

No Holocaust denier running for Congress has no opponents in Republican primary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/02/04/holocaust-denier-running-for-congress-has-no-opponents-in-republican-primary/

Quote:
In a section called “Holocaust?” Jones describes the atrocities as a “racket” and “the biggest, blackest, lie in history.” Under another tab titled “Flags of Conflict,” he lists the Confederate flag first and describes it as “a symbol of White pride and White resistance” and “the flag of a White counter revolution.”
Jones also told the newspaper that he was once a leader in the American Nazi Party and now leads the America First Committee — an organization whose membership “is open to any white American citizen of European, non-Jewish descent,” he told the Sun-Times.
Old 05 February 2018, 01:40 PM

You've got an extra character or something that is breaking the link. Here it is again for the lazy.

While having a neo-Nazi running for office is not good, I'm much more concerned with this:
Quote:
Last week, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) was criticized for bringing an alt-right figure and accused Holocaust denier as his guest to the State of the Union address. Gaetz later defended himself, saying he didn’t know who Chuck Johnson was when he invited him to the speech.
Old 05 February 2018, 01:58 PM

Jaded

Man, I hate Illinois Nazis.
Old 05 February 2018, 02:00 PM

I'm getting really sick of people using rank irresponsibility as an **excuse**.

"I didn't know who that guy was when I retweeted him."
"I didn't know who that guy was when I invited him to the SOTU."

ETA: Plus, of course, at least some of it is lies. Trump retweeting without knowing what he's retweeting? Yeah, probably. But the SOTU claim is clearly bullshit. More like, "I didn't know you'd figure out who he was!"
Old 05 February 2018, 02:38 PM

If you don't know who someone is, you can always do a Google search on him.
Surely the Congressman has heard of Google?
Maybe this thread should be in the Things You Shouldn't Have to Tell People folder.
Old 05 February 2018, 02:40 PM

Considering its Gaetz, it doesn't shock me that much if he would know who the person was.

~Psihala
Old 05 February 2018, 02:49 PM

If nothing else, an invitee to the SOTU speech should be carefully vetted for any security issues, and such vetting should include any organizations they belong to and statements they have made.
Old 05 February 2018, 02:54 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Man, I hate Illinois Nazis.
Wow. I'm really annoyed I missed that one! Congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm getting really sick of people using rank irresponsibility as an **excuse**.

"I didn't know who that guy was when I retweeted him."
"I didn't know who that guy was when I invited him to the SOTU."
Don't forget "I didn't know who that guy was when I voted for him."
Old 05 February 2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
...he lists the Confederate flag first and describes it as “a symbol of White pride and White resistance” and “the flag of a White counter revolution.”
I suppose I should find it slightly refreshing that he's not claiming it's just a symbol of "heritage" and has nothing to do with racism.

...but, no, not really.
Old 06 February 2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
It’s unclear how he arrived at the opinion that the Holocaust, a systematic genocide in which an estimated 6 million Jews were killed by the Nazi regime, was a sham.
He’s a Nazi himself. Seems pretty clear.
Old 06 February 2018, 02:02 PM

Wouldn't a Nazi be proud of that "accomplishment"? Or would they want to sweep it under the rug since they didn't finish the job?
Old 06 February 2018, 06:20 PM

I was once good friends with a girl whose parents came to Canada from Germany in the '60s. She told me that it was only when she was in high school that she learned anything about the holocaust and when she asked her parents about it they told her that it was all lies. That the Jews made it all up for sympathy. Holocaust denial is something I've associated with Nazis ever since.
Old 06 February 2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Wouldn't a Nazi be proud of that "accomplishment"? Or would they want to sweep it under the rug since they didn't finish the job?
They want to pretend genocide isn't among their aims, until they get into a position to carry it out, IMO.
Old 06 February 2018, 07:25 PM

I think Lainie's got it. They understand that most people who haven't been very carefully led up to that point think that it's not proper to murder their neighbors, especially small children and old grandparents; so they want to deny that it happened.

That denial has the additional benefit of trying to put the victims in a very bad light. False accusations of such behavior, after all, would actually be a terrible thing to do.

For some people it may be an attempt, consciously or unconsciously, to defend those they want to think well of. 'My grandfather was my grandfather and I loved him, he couldn't possibly have done anything like that, it must be a lie!' 'My friend is a great friend, he's nice to me, I want to stay friends with him, so if my friend is a Nazi then Nazis must not have done things like that, it must be a lie!' But for others it's pretty clearly a deliberate misdirection.
Old 06 February 2018, 07:33 PM

Earlier today I read an article about how several children of senior Nazi officials dealt with their parents' past. Some of them -- generally those who were older and/or had closer/better relationships with their parents -- defended their parents. And they used words very much like what TL used above. One of them basically said that her father was obviously a kind, loving man, because he loved her.
Old 06 February 2018, 11:17 PM

The fact that people can easily compartmentalize their ability to feel compassion makes it really difficult in these situations for loved ones of people who've done horrible things to accept that two such realities can exist within the same person.