snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 January 2018, 05:57 PM

Default North Korea really did shoot a bomb at Hawaii

OK, so the crud clogging up my inbox is a rumor that North Korea really did launch a bomb at Hawaii. The bomb landed in the ocean so the US government decided to claim it was a false alarm rather than admit this happened. Anyone else hear this?
Old 17 January 2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegendfanatic View Post
OK, so the crud clogging up my inbox is a rumor that North Korea really did launch a bomb at Hawaii. The bomb landed in the ocean so the US government decided to claim it was a false alarm rather than admit this happened. Anyone else hear this?
First I have heard of it. Of course, there are many other countries who would notice a missile that was launched from N. Korea and would have had it on their news long before it would have been determined it was aimed at Hawaii. Given our current world situation, I don't think even our allies would try and cover this up for us.
Old 17 January 2018, 04:46 PM

The US government called it an "exercise", IIRC. The state government called it a false alarm.

ETA: Also, in what world would North Korean media stay silent about something like that?
Old 17 January 2018, 05:16 PM

This world. They aren't going to admit that their missile missed its mark. And they are in talks with other countries, probably what Un wanted, so they aren't going to claim another test that might scuttle such talks.
Old 17 January 2018, 05:29 PM

What possible reason would they have had for randomly attacking Hawaii in the first place, anyway? That would be clearly suicidal, and Kim surely isn't completely mad. They built the bombs partly as a deterrence against being invaded like Iraq once George W Bush started talking about the "Axis of Evil"...
Old 17 January 2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
This world. They aren't going to admit that their missile missed its mark. And they are in talks with other countries, probably what Un wanted, so they aren't going to claim another test that might scuttle such talks.
It took me a bit to figure out who Un was...

"Why would the U.N. want that?"
Old 17 January 2018, 06:35 PM

Me too... that's why I tried a subtle correction by saying Kim in my post! But now I've blown it by not being subtle at all.
Old 17 January 2018, 06:57 PM

I was using Un like we'd say Hillary or Bill (or W or HW) because there is more than one political figure with that surname. But since the other notables are dead, I guess "Kim" is probably not confusing when speaking of current actions.
Old 17 January 2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegendfanatic View Post
Why in the world would the US government claim it was a false alarm or exercise when they could use it to justify launching an attack?
Old 17 January 2018, 09:20 PM

Huh? What makes you think the US wants to attack North Korea? To the point that they would do so at any chance??
Old 17 January 2018, 09:58 PM

Because we've got a posturing blowhard in charge who would probably love to start a convenient war to distract everyone from his domestic issues.
Old 17 January 2018, 10:30 PM

Be that as it may, the president isn't the US. Have you lost all confidence in the US military to stand up to him? Or do you think they're also spoiling for a fight?
Old 17 January 2018, 11:22 PM

I think the military would be pretty conflicted, actually. They tend to take the whole business of obeying orders pretty seriously. And of course, if North Korea did shoot first, they would want to respond in some way.
Old 17 January 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Be that as it may, the president isn't the US. Have you lost all confidence in the US military to stand up to him? Or do you think they're also spoiling for a fight?
Ganzfeld, I think we both know that the only way the military could stop Trump from immediately tweeting that NK just fired a missile at the US and we're going to totally invade them now is if they never told him about it in the first place. Do you really think the military is going to go that far?
Old 18 January 2018, 12:32 AM

Other than tweeting and golfing, can you name one serious policy decision he's made that has been followed?
Old 18 January 2018, 01:10 AM

Muslim ban?
Old 18 January 2018, 01:41 AM

Very unlikely. Others around him had been trying to do things like that for many years. For example, Pence tried to refuse Syrian refugees as governor of Indiana. (Only stopped because they lost in court.) All evidence is that he would have signed whatever they put in front of him based on what they told him it contained. (He has never been able to say anything meaningful about the contents of the ban, for example.)
Old 18 January 2018, 01:49 AM

I don't remotely think he wrote it, but I think he spouted on about it during the campaign and then ordered someone to give him something to sign just after his inauguration.

Maybe I'm not understanding your terms.
Old 18 January 2018, 02:04 AM

He talked about a lot of things that weren't done too. The difference is whether the people around him have any interest in the project. If they don't, it doesn't happen. I agree that it's right to call it a Muslim ban but it's only a ban on people from several countries, not the ban he talked about on the campaign. (Maybe the one exception has been the US stance toward Russia but I think eventually we'll find out all the people around him who are pulling those strings.) He has also signed a lot of things that go against what he said in the campaign.

Notably, little of the military policy he espoused has happened. The US is fully in NATO. Torture hasn't been reinstated (as far as we know). The US is still in Afghanistan, sending more troops rather than taking them out. (He went back on that during the campaign so maybe that doesn't count.) None of the changes he proposed in military structure or numbers has been implemented so far. (We'll see. But, again, it all depends on who writes the order. He doesn't read them.)