snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 August 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Though I'm not sure how well it would work, given that no one else is as motivated by spite as I am. I may have to become a fan of that Doc McStuffins and since I am wa-ay outside the target demographic and do not have kids, it will just look weird, dammit!
When my nephew lived with us, Disney Junior was on near-constant play (to the extent that he has no familiarity with Sesame Street, despite my best efforts). I actually found their material to be rather enjoyable.

That plus Doc is one of the few black female leads in kids' TV. As long as she doesn't let that get to her ginormous head...

Anyway, I finally saw Mockingjay Part 1. Is it just me, or is it highly unlikely that Panem could actually exist?
Old 17 August 2017, 01:32 AM

Mouse

I saw Shattered Glass. A decent little film. Always suspected that there was only so much that Hayden Christensen could do with George Lucas's directing/script (not even Olivier could deliver the "I don't like sand" bit), and was pleasantly surprised to discover that was true. Christenson plays the disgraced fake journalist, Stephen Glass. Glass is much like Anakin in that they're both whiny, needy a-holes suffering from narcissism and an over-inflated sense of self, but the reason the character of Glass works, whereas Anakin does not, is that Shattered Glass makes it clear that Stephen Glass is a lying, manipulative prick, and that his cringing obsequiousness isn't born solely out of insecurity, but out of a desire, to shift away blame and save his ass; get them feeling sorry for him, so they back off and don't come down on him like a ton of bricks.

Shattered Glass also works in part due to Peter Sarsgaard's character, Chuck Lane, who once he goes after Glass, just steamrolls him and gives zero NFBSKs about Glass's efforts to save his own ass.

I also particularly liked the scene where Lane fires him. Stephen Glass starts crying and trying to convince him that he's suicidal, but Lane remains an absolute stone wall that stubbornly refuses to give no matter how much Glass tries. Lane knows Stephen inside and out, knows that he is a con artist and all this is a ruse. Basic rule of con artists: try to keep the mark off balance and when caught, play to his sympathies.

Again, both actors give fascinating performance with Christensen playing the stunted narcissist and Sarsgaard stubbornly refusing to back down from facts and evidence.

From what I heard, Christensen has semi-retired from acting and is hanging out on a farm. If he's happy with his life, I'm glad for him. Better he be happy and retired, than wind up going down the path of Jake Lloyd.

But if Christensen might decide to take on another role, I might be willing to see it. Again, there's only so much anyone could do with the material used in the prequels.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:26 PM

Ghost In The Shell: The whitewashing doesn't bother me. The fact that they haven't learned from the mistakes Thunderbirds made does. It was a pale, PG-13 shadow...of Blade Runner.