snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 08 November 2013, 05:22 PM

Icon13 Anti-rape clothing causing controversy

Two people from New York are raising money on crowd-funding website, Indiegogo, to make a prototype of something called Anti-Rape Wear. It's underwear and shorts for women that can't be cut, ripped, or pulled down. They are locked, and only the wearer knows the combination.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/36...ng-controversy
Old 08 November 2013, 05:43 PM

Aside from the whole "putting the onus on potential rape victims" issue, it doesn't look that secure. Assuming the red and black outfit is the pattern/design, it is two piece, which means it could probably be pulled down/up even if it isn't unlocked. And even if it is one piece, anything less than a very small neck hole would mean the whole thing could be pulled down through the neck hole. And of course, there is the issue that the person who knows the combination is right there and (presumably) already subdued and/or threatened so it wouldn't be that difficult to force the combination out of her.

The outfit might stop rape of women that are unconscious and/or too intoxicated to give someone the combination, but it might not due to the security issues.

And of course, if the woman did give up the combination for whatever reason, that could be used in court to show that she consented to the rape.
Old 08 November 2013, 06:05 PM

Baseball

This feels like a well-intentioned creation of a product to meet a perceived need, but falls short on execution. A lot like the "Club" for parking your car.

For the record, I could not watch the video, so I'm going off the written descriptions I've found.

Where I see the biggest difficulty is with normal life. How does one go to the bathroom quickly if you have to unbuckle yourself every time? In a night club setting, bathroom trips may end up being frequent, and after a while, people may stop doing up the buckle, eliminating the value in having the buckle.

I may be wrong though.
Old 08 November 2013, 06:15 PM

And what are emergency medical personnel to do with an unconscious woman they need to treat who is wearing this?

(also cannot watch the video so apologies if this was covered)
Old 08 November 2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And of course, if the woman did give up the combination for whatever reason, that could be used in court to show that she consented to the rape.
It could turn into another version of the tight jeans defense.
Old 08 November 2013, 10:54 PM

I don't have words for how offensive this concept is. When I saw the phrase "anti-rape clothing" I naively assumed it was, like, a t-shirt series with slogans or artwork.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:02 PM

Fight

Are they assuming that a rape can only happen vaginally or anally? Also, a frustrated rapist can turn into an angry, hitting rapist. I'm thinking I'd rather have a nice anti-rapist taser or shiv.

There is one image I have never been able to get out of my head, and that was a video of a teenaged girl being led quietly away by the hand by the man who raped and killed her. If people are going to spend money on anything, spend it on regular classes that teach you how to fight off an attacker. Heck, get them for yourself and for all the women on your Christmas list. It just seems to me that too many girls and women become intimidated in these type of situations and don't believe that they are capable of fending off danger, or think fighting will just lead to them being hurt more. Taking any kind of assault training, even if it is only a time or two a year, might go a long way towards dispelling these types of fear.

Don't spend the money on a new anti-rape suit. Spend it on getting a new anti-rape mindset.
Old 09 November 2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Where I see the biggest difficulty is with normal life. How does one go to the bathroom quickly if you have to unbuckle yourself every time?
The lock uses clock style hands that only disengages when both hands are in the right spot. If you know the spot, then unlocking the lock is very easy, if you don't, it would take quite a bit of time to brute force the combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
And what are emergency medical personnel to do with an unconscious woman they need to treat who is wearing this?

(also cannot watch the video so apologies if this was covered)
Trauma shears would probably slice through that material quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Are they assuming that a rape can only happen vaginally or anally? Also, a frustrated rapist can turn into an angry, hitting rapist. I'm thinking I'd rather have a nice anti-rapist taser or shiv.

There is one image I have never been able to get out of my head, and that was a video of a teenaged girl being led quietly away by the hand by the man who raped and killed her. If people are going to spend money on anything, spend it on regular classes that teach you how to fight off an attacker. Heck, get them for yourself and for all the women on your Christmas list. It just seems to me that too many girls and women become intimidated in these type of situations and don't believe that they are capable of fending off danger, or think fighting will just lead to them being hurt more. Taking any kind of assault training, even if it is only a time or two a year, might go a long way towards dispelling these types of fear.

Don't spend the money on a new anti-rape suit. Spend it on getting a new anti-rape mindset.
These outfits aren't really designed to stop the stereotypical violent rape you're describing so much as they can help prevent a woman who is intoxicated or unconscious from being undressed without her consent. Instead of a knife wielding attacker in a dark alley, consider a mostly empty corner of a nightclub where a person could have their way with someone quickly and discreetly without drawing attention if that person is unable to functionally resist. That is the sort of attack these clothes are designed to mitigate.

The video also makes it clear that these are not being marketed as "rape-proof" but merely difficult to remove without consent.

They're far from a perfect product, I'd be concerned with the design that seems to rely heavily on a woman's hip bones to hold the belt up not being functional in women with larger belly areas, but they seem like they could be practical in the scenarios the video discusses.
Old 09 November 2013, 06:32 AM

They're still putting the burden of preventing rape on the victim.

Epic

Fail
Old 09 November 2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
They're still putting the burden of preventing rape on the victim.

Epic

Fail
I disagree, they're providing a potential safety measure to a potential victim. No different than the previously mentioned can of mace or self defense class. Now, if someone were to tell a woman that her rape is her fault because she DIDN'T use this product (or the previously mentioned can of mace or self defense class) then THAT individual is putting the burden of preventing rape on the victim.

If you disagree, do you also feel that all passive* and active** rape prevention measures put the burden on the victim? If they don't, then which do?

*Passive measures being things like these shorts or not leaving your drink unattended etc.
**Active measures being violent resistance or weapons etc.
Old 09 November 2013, 03:35 PM

In the case of the active measures, it's the rapist who's putting the burden on the victim to defend herself. That's not the same as society doing so.
Old 09 November 2013, 05:39 PM

Why don't they just say that in our age or more modern materials, we should be able to create a comfortable and fashionable chastity belt for everyday use.
Old 09 November 2013, 06:48 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
In the case of the active measures, it's the rapist who's putting the burden on the victim to defend herself. That's not the same as society doing so.
Yeah. Passive rape prevention measures should be considered roughly the same value as passive eaten by mountain lion prevention measures. As in, people aren't expected to bend over backwards all the time to make sure that they're not eaten by a mountain lion. Women, OTOH, are expected to devote all sorts of time and effort into making sure that they aren't raped, and these "safety" clothes are just another shifting of the burden onto them.
Old 09 November 2013, 08:54 PM

Where is there an expectation in this clothing? Its one group of people offering a product, if some people want to buy them for whatever reason why is that a problem?
Old 09 November 2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Yeah. Passive rape prevention measures should be considered roughly the same value as passive eaten by mountain lion prevention measures. As in, people aren't expected to bend over backwards all the time to make sure that they're not eaten by a mountain lion. Women, OTOH, are expected to devote all sorts of time and effort into making sure that they aren't raped, and these "safety" clothes are just another shifting of the burden onto them.
Well, if one in five people was attacked by a mountain lion in their lifetime, wouldn't it be reasonable to sell products that try to help people avoid mountain lion attacks?

I mean, it's fair to say that women shouldn't have to worry about rape, but we don't live in that reality right now, and ignoring reality doesn't make it go away.

(Note that I'm speaking very generally, not about the device in the OP specifically, because frankly I'm not sure it would help any).

Last edited by Jahungo; 09 November 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09 November 2013, 08:56 PM

"For whatever reason"? What other purpose would these garments serve?
Old 09 November 2013, 09:00 PM

It doesn't matter. Who is in any position to tell someone they can't purchase these? Maybe you consider someone ignorant or stupid to buy something that they think will protect them, but so what?
Old 09 November 2013, 09:11 PM

I don't think anyone here has criticized the women who might buy them.
Old 09 November 2013, 11:27 PM

Certainly no one's suggesting preventing/forbidding them from buying it.
Old 10 November 2013, 12:08 AM

I just want to comment on the design. It doesn't make rape any less likely because it misunderstands what rape means. People say this over and over but apparently it hasn't sunk in: rape isn't sex; it's a violent act. Rapists don't just say "gee I can't rape this one let's go to the next one"; they find another way to do the violent act. That goes for date rape as well.

I have nothing against making clothing to protect people from mountain lions but you can't just make something that makes the victim taste bad. You have to consider why and where mountain lions bite. (Hint: It isn't because they like the taste.)

Maybe they should just call it a groin protector.