snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 23 October 2018, 02:50 PM

Doom Patrol will be a direct follow up to Titans - the characters from DP are all set to be introduced in Titans.
Old 28 October 2018, 12:27 AM

Finished Daredevil season 3 on Netflix. Wow. Just, wow. To my mind the absolute best superhero TV show, bar none (and, frankly, partially because it didn't rely much on flashy powers. "Less is more" worked very well here). Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk was even better the second time around. The entire cast, the writers... all deserve kudos because it was pretty nearly a perfect show.

The news that a season 2 for The Defenders is unlikely has been tempered with an interview with Jeph Loeb hinting that, like the original "non-team" of the comic books (which had a constantly-changing roster of members), a future season of Netflix's Defenders could feature different heroes - and, golly gee, we have Hellcat from Jessica Jones, Misty Knight from Luke Cage, Colleen Wing from Iron Fist and The Punisher from Daredevil (and his own spinoff series).
Old 30 October 2018, 01:44 AM

Wrapped up Seven Deadly Sins, which was worth finishing, but I won't be following any further with season 3. It's clear how things are going, and the charm from season 1 has worn off.

Also finished Dark, which was excellent, and which I highly recommend, though I won't be following it into season 2 - it's not the show, it's me. Good stuff, and interestingly convoluted.

That leaves two new shows in my Netflix instant queue: Altered Carbon and Lost In Space. I'm one episode into Altered Carbon, and enjoying it.
Old 30 October 2018, 08:36 PM

If you haven't started Lost in Space yet, I'd advise against it. I made it three episodes in before I realized that the show was giving me a bad case of Eight Deadly Words.
Old 31 October 2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If you haven't started Lost in Space yet, I'd advise against it. I made it three episodes in before I realized that the show was giving me a bad case of Eight Deadly Words.
Aw, I have to give it a whack. I'm not adverse to dropping a show a few episodes in if I don't like it, and enough people have given positive reviews that I just gotta sample it. If it ends up being crap (for my tastes), then ta-ta, one star review and remove from instant queue.

As for Altered Carbon, well, I've only just finished episode 2, so opinions are still formulating, but I will say that the Blade Runner-esque design sensibilities are only moderately engaging (because I have seen that movie already, y'know), the copious quantities of boobies uninteresting (the internet ruined that for... everybody, I think, about 10 years ago) (although as an indicator of the cultural sensibilities of the world in the show, they do help in a "show, don't tell" kind of way) (I am being literal in a critical sort of way, no joke intended here), and while the actual writing seems to be good, the story as revealed so far is a bit dull and tawdry. But again, opinions still formulating.
Old 02 November 2018, 02:57 PM

I actually enjoyed Lost In Space, even though several characters in it are dumb as posts (Mostly Dr Smith, who plots against the family even when it goes against common sense. That said, the series does go out of its way to make her legitimately a threat).

I watched the first episode of the new Charmed the other night. Itís kind of like the old show if you squint a little, but the social awareness has been dialled up to a truly bizarre level. I donít recall the Halliwells ever attending protest rallies, for one thing. Also, TV Tropes is trying to guess that Harry might not be a Whitelighter because his teleportation effect looks more like Apparition than Orbing, but is there any provable connection between the two shows? (Also: Didnít the Darklighters also look like they orbed?)
Old 21 November 2018, 12:57 AM

The anime Kill la Kill, which had me 15 seconds into the first episode. Beautifully over the top. Although the ongoing bog-standard-for-anime power escalation fight sequences (I'm around episode 10 or so) are starting to wear a little thin (ha! a pun!).

Yes, this is something like 5 years old, but it's new to me (although I have been encouraged to watch it a few times over the last couple of years).

Altered Carbon: I'm now around episode 8 of 10 (I think), and my opinion has much improved. Very much enjoying it - but my viewing has been much spread out by other shows, my reading and life in general.
Old 21 November 2018, 02:05 PM

I finally got to watch the new Barbie series, Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures. The bit that surprises me is that this was touted as following on from a movie where the puppies talked, but here they’re given very little focus and nobody seems to go “Hey, remember that time when we saved a mermaid and her four colourful dolphin friends?” (Also, the puppies barely appear and the only name I have heard so far is Rookie, Stacie’s dog. The others, for those who can’t keep track, are Taffy [Barbie’s], Honey [Chelsea’s] and DJ [Skipper’s]). Also, again with the character swap: characters like Raquelle and Ryan are out, replaced with obnoxious-to-a-weird-degree neighbours the Reardons (although, there’s probably only so far you can take “they’re crushing on the main couple” in a series that’s more like a kid com).

The third episode, at least, features a TV series that’s like a cross between The Great British Bake-Off and Ultimate Beastmaster. I don’t know about you, but if that show existed, I would watch the shit out of it.
Old 15 December 2018, 09:26 PM

Subscribed to DC Universe this morning - and good timing, as a year's membership was $20 off - so $59 instead of $79. Haven't really dug too deeply into it yet, but I did watch a first season Super Friends episode for nostalgia reasons ("The Mysterious Moles", which thrilled me a child because it was set in caves, which I was incredibly into at the time) (and not just for nostalgia reasons, but also to show my son what TV was like back in the day. Oy, the show was pretty terrible, compared to modern stuff!). Read a 5-issue run of Action Comics about Superman's relationship with Brainiac. Watched the run of DC Shorts starring the Metal Men. Waiting for the holiday week so me, my son and my daughter can watch Titans.
Old 16 December 2018, 12:51 AM

I'm waiting for DC Universe to get a Playstation app.
Old 16 December 2018, 12:55 AM

I'm waiting for it to show up in Canada. The only news online is that they were testing it in September.
Old 16 December 2018, 02:04 AM

I binged Happy! when it showed up on Netflix.

Wow... freaky show... not for the faint of heart for sure!
Old 16 December 2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I binged Happy! when it showed up on Netflix.

Wow... freaky show... not for the faint of heart for sure!
(goes to Netflix instant queue, adds...)
Old 16 December 2018, 03:54 PM

Blow Your Top

It's Drop Dead Fred meets Sin City. Big time. A buddy cop comedy about a brutal hit man 'hired' by a girl's imaginary friend to find her and save her from a psychotic Santa Claus dressed kidnapper.

And that's just the first episode. It gets worse from there.