snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 11 December 2018, 11:42 AM

1. According to his boastful servant Leporello, what Mozart character has had 640 girls in Italy, 231 in Germany, and 1,003 in Spain? Don Giovanni?

2. What multimillion-selling country act takes its name from a geographic feature partially formed by the St. Mary's and Chattahoochee Rivers? Florida Georgia Line.

3. What natural objects come in shapes ranging from simple prisms to sectored plates to stellar dendrites? Crystals.
Old 11 December 2018, 11:51 AM

1. According to his boastful servant Leporello, what Mozart character has had 640 girls in Italy, 231 in Germany, and 1,003 in Spain?

Don Giovanni

6. What African nation has made it a crime for citizens to identify themselves as either Hutus or Tutsis?

It must be one of three possible countries.
I go for Congo-Kinshasa
Old 11 December 2018, 12:42 PM

1. According to his boastful servant Leporello, what Mozart character has had 640 girls in Italy, 231 in Germany, and 1,003 in Spain?

Don Giovanni?

6. What African nation has made it a crime for citizens to identify themselves as either Hutus or Tutsis?

Rwanda
Old 11 December 2018, 01:00 PM

D'oh!

Oops! I used the wrong color to hide my answer. Sorry 'bout that!
Old 11 December 2018, 01:01 PM

Baseball

1. I have absolutely no idea. Mozart wrote operas, so I'm going with the Barber of Seville.

2. Only thing that jumps to mind is Alabama, but that is a state, not a geographic feature.

3. Would that be snowflakes?

4. Bonnie and Clyde? I know her last name was Parker.

5. A potato chip?

6. Rwanda. Only one so far wherein I have any confidence in my answer.

7. I've only seen one, so I will guess that they all feature technology far advanced for its time.

1 for 7 this week, if I guessed correctly.
Old 11 December 2018, 01:54 PM

1. According to his boastful servant Leporello, what Mozart character has had 640 girls in Italy, 231 in Germany, and 1,003 in Spain? Don Giovanni

2. What multimillion-selling country act takes its name from a geographic feature partially formed by the St. Mary's and Chattahoochee Rivers? Florida/Georgia Line?

3. What natural objects come in shapes ranging from simple prisms to sectored plates to stellar dendrites? Snowflakes (not the sociopolitical kind, though. A pity, I'd love to hear people on Facebook ranting about all the special stellar dendrites.)

4. As you might gather from the title, the 1994 film Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle was about what storied group? The Algonquin Round Table

5. What common snack food is placed atop a bed of lettuce to make a "Pittsburgh salad"? WAG - pretzels?

6. What African nation has made it a crime for citizens to identify themselves as either Hutus or Tutsis? Rwanda?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Doctor Who, Get Smart, Have Gun Will Travel, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Prisoner, Samurai Jack, Scrubs, That '70s Show, The Virginian, The X-Files. Interesting assortment. WAG - At some point an ally/romantic interest turns out to be the enemy in disguise?
Old 11 December 2018, 02:15 PM

Dog

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary works?
This is not an unusual distinction in children's books AT ALL, sadly, but it's a lot rarer in literature for grown-ups.
It is my week to complain about a badly written question. If it is only an unusual distinction in adult literature then shouldn't the question state that?
Old 11 December 2018, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Don Giovanni or Don Juan (same guy, different names).
Quote:

2. What multimillion-selling country act takes its name from a geographic feature partially formed by the St. Mary's and Chattahoochee Rivers?
Well, it's not Lady Antebellum.
Quote:

3. What natural objects come in shapes ranging from simple prisms to sectored plates to stellar dendrites?
Snow flakes, of course (one of the few I know this week).
Quote:

4. As you might gather from the title, the 1994 film Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle was about what storied group?
I saw this movie in the Theater! The Algonquin Round Table.
Quote:

5. What common snack food is placed atop a bed of lettuce to make a "Pittsburgh salad"?
Potato chips?
Quote:

Somalia
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Doctor Who, Get Smart, Have Gun Will Travel, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Prisoner, Samurai Jack, Scrubs, That '70s Show, The Virginian, The X-Files.
I have no clue, and don't know enough about some of the shows to guess.

Seaboe
Old 11 December 2018, 04:47 PM

3. snowflakes
4. Algonquin roundtable
5. potato chips?
6. Rwanda. I'm surprised more people don't have this one. If you haven't read it, We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed with Our Families is an excellent book. . I think everyone should know what happened, as well as how and why.
7. They all have a major character (at least 1) whose name is never revealed, and more specifically, maybe, the person is referred to as "The [something]"?

Last edited by erwins; 11 December 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11 December 2018, 05:12 PM

erwins has got #7. Definitely the first part, don't think so on the more specifically part:

Doctor Who: The Doctor of course
Get Smart: Agent 99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: IMS, there is a character named "The Bird"
Scrubs: (The?) Janitor
That '70s Show: Fes (Foreign Exchange Student)
The X-Files: The Smoking Man?
Old 11 December 2018, 05:41 PM

Yeah, after I wrote it, I remembered a couple more. Definitely the first part and not the second. And I couldn't think of one for That 70s Show. I've watched it, but not enough to know that bit -- I'm glad you posted that one, because it was bugging me.

Doctor Who also has The Master.
Have Gun Will Travel has Paladin.

I've never seen IASiP, but the others, besides That 70s Show and Get Smart were the ones I was thinking of. (And I have seen Get Smart and agree with the Get Smart answer.)

I almost never get a Q7! This one seemed inordinately easy to me, but maybe that's kind of how they work when you know the answer? But it does seem a bit obvious . . .
Old 11 December 2018, 06:00 PM

erwins, I think it is only obvious after you get it.
Old 11 December 2018, 09:04 PM

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Not The Bird, that's Sweet Dee. The unnamed character would be The Waitress, the object of Charlie's desire.
Old 12 December 2018, 03:23 PM

1. Don Giovanni.

2. WAG - Rascal Flats?

3. Don't know.

4. Algonquin Round Table.

5. Don't know.

6. Rwanda.

7. All have an important character whose name is never revealed.