snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 12 February 2013, 07:24 PM

Icon18 Zombie alert airs on TV station after broadcast hacked

A Montana television station’s regular programming was interrupted by news of a zombie apocalypse.

The Montana Television Network says hackers broke into the Emergency Alert System of Great Falls affiliate KRTV and its CW station Monday.

KRTV says on its website the hackers broadcast that “dead bodies are rising from their graves” in several Montana counties.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...st_hacked.html
Old 12 February 2013, 08:24 PM

You would think people with that much computer skills and talent would find something useful to do with their time, perhaps research a cure for cancer, assist government agencies, help make information a smoother flow, but noooo they use it to play sophomoric pranks.
Old 12 February 2013, 08:38 PM

I'm glad that this didn't happen in my area. If I had seen it, it could have easily led to a panic attack for me. I have an almost phobia-level fear of zombies. I can handle it when I know it's fake like in commercial for a movie. I'm not sure that I would have assumed it was real, but it would have definitely freaked me out.
Old 12 February 2013, 08:39 PM

Skull

Quote:
The Great Falls Tribune reports the hoax alert generated at least four calls to police to see if it was true.

Old 12 February 2013, 08:40 PM

At least we didn't have a huge panic, nice to see we've progressed from the whole "War of the Worlds" thing.
Old 13 February 2013, 01:39 AM

Zombies and Vampires are overplayed. It's time for a new monster to make an appearance. I vote the blob.
Old 13 February 2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
You would think people with that much computer skills and talent would find something useful to do with their time, perhaps research a cure for cancer, assist government agencies, help make information a smoother flow, but noooo they use it to play sophomoric pranks.
I think the hackers are actually doing a public service. If it is that easy to hack the system then it is better if that is discovered during a "sophomoric prank" then at a time when it might actually make a difference. Cyber attacks for profit (and politics) are becoming fairly common. If a TV station is hackable then other other organization with a similar infrastructure is also hackable.
Old 13 February 2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finger stutters View Post
I'm glad that this didn't happen in my area. If I had seen it, it could have easily led to a panic attack for me. I have an almost phobia-level fear of zombies. I can handle it when I know it's fake like in commercial for a movie. I'm not sure that I would have assumed it was real, but it would have definitely freaked me out.
I can't even handle movies and TV shows. If I had seen that, I would have definitely had a panic attack. Thinking about it now makes me a little anxious. I'd say I have a genuine phobia.

--NewZer0
Old 13 February 2013, 01:28 PM

Just out of curiosity; is a zombie phobia a fear specifically of zombies (if so any particular kind?) undead humanoids in general (vampires for example, or mummies?) and is it a fear of zombies in general, being 'turned into' a zombie, or the 'zombie Apocalypse'?

I'm curious cause it's interesting, zombies typically serve as a vessel to pour other fears (rational and otherwise) into (nuclear war, disease, crowds, etc) rather than being inherently scary on their own. I understand that phobias are by their nature irrational, just curious what about zombies is the trigger, if anything, specifically.