snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 13 September 2016, 12:42 PM

Hello, all.

Ken Jennings writes:
Tuesday Trivia doesn't strafe you like a fighter plane. It doesn't spray like a firehose. It delivers its trivia at a gentle but inexorable pace: one question a day, precisely, for over ten years. It's the rivulet that carves out the glacier, the slow drip that forms the stalactite.

Now, on to ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The Mistick Krewe of Comus is the oldest of the 71 "krewes" that organize social events in what U.S. city?
Each "Krewe" organizes carnival parades during Mardi Gras. This is New Orleans.

2. What 400-million-year-past geologic period, also called the "Age of Fishes," is named for the southwest English county where its fossils were first studied?
The Devonian is named for Devon. The county in English, not the dickish preppie bad guy in some '80s comedy.

3. Who was the last U.S. president before Bill Clinton to have no military service (including reserves) on his resume before becoming commander-in-chief?
FDR was Assistant Secretary of the Navy, but that's a civilian office.

4. Which instrument in a modern orchestra typically has seven pedals?
The modern concert harp has as many pedals as 3.5 bicycles.

5. Who's the only baseball player ever to have his jersey retired by three different major league teams?
The Angels, Astros, and Rangers all retired Nolan Ryan's number at the end of his 83-year pitching career. I just realized this question should have been written a little better, I'm going to get "BUT JACKIE ROBINSON..." emails. Sorry about that.

6. Of all the Caribbean locales mentioned by the Beach Boys in their song "Kokomo," which two refer to the same island?
"Montego" is a reference to Montego Bay, one of the largest cities of "Jamaica."

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Abbott and Costello Go to Mars, Brazil, 49th Parallel, From Russia with Love, Last Year at Marienbad, Madagascar 3, Paris Texas, Persepolis, 3:10 to Yuma, Woodstock.
Not too hard this week, I hope. The title location never actually appears in any of these movies. Funnily enough, this question idea originated with Fargo and Chinatown...but those movies each have ONE scene set in their respective titular locales. The best thing I learned this week is that Abbott and Costello actually go to Venus, for some reason, in Abbott and Costello Go to Mars.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. At 630 feet in height, what's the tallest structure on U.S. National Park Service land?

2. What actress has starred in two of Disney's live-action remakes of their animated classics, as the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella and the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland?

3. The Third Law of Thermodynamics implies that what condition, whose value was computed by Lord Kelvin in 1848, is impossible?

4. What name, which first made the news in May 2016, is a Swahili rallying cry meaning "pull together"?

5. Between his two more famous girlfriends, who had a college fling with Lori Lemaris, who turned out to be a mermaid?

6. Because he had immunity as a member of the royal family, Hirohito's uncle Prince Asaka was never tried for the infamous acts committed while he was in command of what city?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these books? Arrowsmith, The Golden Compass, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, The Marble Faun, The Mouse that Roared, Outlander, The Price of Salt, The Sign of Four, The Sun Also Rises, Where's Waldo.

Enjoy!
Old 13 September 2016, 12:51 PM

3. The Third Law of Thermodynamics implies that what condition, whose value was computed by Lord Kelvin in 1848, is impossible?

Absolute zero temperature

6. Because he had immunity as a member of the royal family, Hirohito's uncle Prince Asaka was never tried for the infamous acts committed while he was in command of what city?

Nanjing
Old 13 September 2016, 12:59 PM

3. Absolute zero.

5. Given the double-L, which seems to follow him through life even in his arch-enemy, I'd have to say Superman.
Old 13 September 2016, 01:57 PM

Well the only one of the main questions I know is number 3, which has already been answered, but for once I'm fairly sure I know number 7...!

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these books? Arrowsmith, The Golden Compass, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, The Marble Faun, The Mouse that Roared, Outlander, The Price of Salt, The Sign of Four, The Sun Also Rises, Where's Waldo.
I reckon they were all published with different titles in the USA and UK (or possibly other English-speaking territories). Of the ones I know, The Golden Compass was Northern Lights in the UK, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone obviously, and Where's Waldo is Where's Wally.

I'm not sure whether all of those are the US titles, as The Sign of Four is called that in the UK, and I'm not sure what it would have been published as in the USA... or maybe it originally had a different title here?...
... but I think that's it.
Old 13 September 2016, 02:02 PM

1. I would have thought the Statue of Liberty was taller, but I am pretty sure this is the height of the Washington Monument.

2. Isn't that Helena Bonham Carter?

6. Nanjing

7. WAG - beginning with a long section in a setting that proves to be not particularly relevant to most of the plot.
Old 13 September 2016, 02:48 PM

1. Don't know.

2. Helena Bonham Carter.

3. Absolute zero.

4. Harambee.

5. Superman.

6. Nanking.

7. Each had a different title in the US than in the original release.
Old 13 September 2016, 04:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. At 630 feet in height, what's the tallest structure on U.S. National Park Service land?
Structure--that's a hard one. The Statue of Liberty? ETA: I think Mack has this right.
Quote:

2. What actress has starred in two of Disney's live-action remakes of their animated classics, as the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella and the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland?
Jane Seymour. Actually, I have no clue, and her name was the first to come to mind. Well, other than Helena Bonham-Carter. Which might be right, who knows?
Quote:

Reaching absolute zero, when molecular motion ceases.
Quote:

4. What name, which first made the news in May 2016, is a Swahili rallying cry meaning "pull together"?
Black Lives Matter.
Quote:

5. Between his two more famous girlfriends, who had a college fling with Lori Lemaris, who turned out to be a mermaid?
Superman, of course, who only dates women whose first and last names both start with L (and whose first names are only 4 letters long).
Quote:

Nanking.
Quote:

Hmmm. They each kept their publisher from going bankrupt? More realistically, were each published by an organization known for a different type of book?

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
as The Sign of Four is ...
In this case I think it's just thatthe novel's been published with and without the definite article. I think most or all US editions use the article, at least these days, but I might be misremembering. And the Kindle edition I have might be British anyway.
Old 13 September 2016, 05:47 PM

1. No clue. The Statue of Liberty isn't that tall. Maybe the Washington monument?
2. Helena Bonham Carter. Never saw Cinderella, but I know she was the Red Queen.
3. Since Lord Kelvin was invoked, it must be absolute zero.
4. I assume it is Harambe.
5. Clark Kent. It isn't Superman, because Lana Lang never dated Superman.
6. Nanking.
7. Based only on Where's Waldo and Harry Potter, I would guess that it is a different title based on where it is released.
Old 13 September 2016, 06:38 PM

I'm pretty sure that No. 1 is the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.
Old 13 September 2016, 08:30 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The Sign of Four is ...

...called The Sign of the Four in its original publication. It has been published under both titles at various times/places, but I believe the shorter title was the first used in the U.S.

Old 13 September 2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
More realistically, were each published by an organization known for a different type of book?

Seaboe
That is an interesting suggestion, but you would HAVE to include Dune in a list like that, unless perhaps Jennings thought that was too much of a giveaway. Anyway, I am sure the others are right on this.
Old 13 September 2016, 11:06 PM

No

1. It isn't the Washington Monument, that's 555 feet (thanks, third grade social studies!)
2. Helena Bonham Carter
3. Absolute Zero
4. Harambe
5. Going with the LL theme and guessing Superman
6. Nanking
7. Originally published under different titles, I'd imagine.
Old 14 September 2016, 06:29 AM

Absolute zero temperature (0 grade Kelvin - not that difficult to compute, or is it, Lord Kelvin?)
Old 14 September 2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
I'm pretty sure that No. 1 is the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.
I darn well better know you're right!
Old 20 September 2016, 12:17 PM

Hello, all. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is about eighty feet taller than the Washington Monument, which is the NPS's second highest viewpoint.

Helena Bonham Carter--who was sadly missing from The Jungle Book, however.

You just can't get to absolute zero.

RIP Harambe.

Lori Lemaris came between two more famous L.L.'s (Lana Lang and Lois Lane) when she dated Clark Kent, aka Superman.

Asaka led the Japanese forces in Nanjing at the time of the brutal and still-controversial massacres in that city.

Each book was originally published under a different title when it was published in Britain. But we accepted any answer about alternate titles, we are chill like that.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. How many dots are in the mathematical symbol known as a "therefore" sign?

2. The respective ex-spouses of musicians Gavin Rossdale and Miranda Lambert are TV co-stars, and are now dating. Who are they?

3. What nation's official language is Amharic?

4. Roger Taney and Clarence Thomas both replaced Supreme Court justices that had what last name?

5. What are the spots in the British dish called "spotted dick"?

6. Who was world heavyweight champion in 1974 and then again in 1994?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Charles in Charge, Coach, CSI:NY, Frasier, Las Vegas, Magnum P.I., Major Dad, The Middle, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Walker Texas Ranger.

Enjoy!
Old 20 September 2016, 12:43 PM

Fight

George Foreman
Old 20 September 2016, 01:26 PM

2. Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton
3. Turkey
5. Raisins
Old 20 September 2016, 02:42 PM

1. Three
3. Ethiopia
4. Marshall
Old 20 September 2016, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. How many dots are in the mathematical symbol known as a "therefore" sign?
It's the sign of the three.
Quote:

2. The respective ex-spouses of musicians Gavin Rossdale and Miranda Lambert are TV co-stars, and are now dating. Who are they?
Is this supposed to be a difficult question? Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton.
Quote:

3. What nation's official language is Amharic?
I should know this, but of course I don't. Turkey?
Quote:

4. Roger Taney and Clarence Thomas both replaced Supreme Court justices that had what last name?
Marshall. I can't believe I know this (as opposed to just guessing).
Quote:

5. What are the spots in the British dish called "spotted dick"?
currants? I'm not surprised I don't know this.
Quote:

George Foreman, of grill fame (probably not, but it sounds good).
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Charles in Charge, Coach, CSI:NY, Frasier, Las Vegas, Magnum P.I., Major Dad, The Middle, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Walker Texas Ranger.
They all survived having one of the major female actresses leave and be replaced as the same character without any of the other characters seeming to notice the difference. Which is too long to bother to white out (besides likely being wrong).

Seaboe
Closed Thread