snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 09 August 2016, 03:21 PM

4. Laura Linney, Alan Cumming, and David Tennant are the three most recent hosts of what long-running PBS series? Masterpiece Theatre?
Old 09 August 2016, 03:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Between 1971 and 1985, who painted over 240 canvases of a German model named Helga Testorf?
Wyeth. Andrew, I believe.
Quote:

2. What two cities are represented by the NHL franchises that share their respective names with the warring street gangs in West Side Story?
Well, New York is the easy one (they're the Jets). Miami, maybe, for the Sharks?
Quote:

3. What 110-mile-per-hour air currents circle Earth's tropopause in a westerly direction?
The jet stream? Or is that a water current?
Quote:

4. Laura Linney, Alan Cumming, and David Tennant are the three most recent hosts of what long-running PBS series?
I'll say Mystery. Because I thought of it before I thought of Masterpiece Theater.
Quote:

5. According to the famous first line of Julius Caesar's war commentaries, what was divided into three parts?
France and environs, except he called it Gaul. And this is a gimme question if there ever was one.
Quote:

6. What satirical self-help book of 1952, subtitled "The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune," was adapted into a hit Broadway musical a decade later?
How to Succeed in Business (without really trying).
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these albums? Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles, Lemonade by Beyonce, Earthling by David Bowie, Slowhand by Eric Clapton, Glass Houses by Billy Joel, Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park, Like a Prayer by Madonna, Ten by Pearl Jam, Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen, Remain in Light by Talking Heads, Electric Warrior by T. Rex, The College Dropout by Kanye West.
Well, let's see. I've heard exactly one of those albums as an album (i.e., sat down and listened to every song). I'm going to say each was the followup to the artists' best selling album. Just because.

Seaboe
Old 09 August 2016, 06:24 PM

Another unlikely guess for number 7: Does each of them have an accompanying film for which the album is a soundtrack?

Definitely true of The Beatles album, and possibly also Bowie's (The Man Who Fell To Earth?) but I've no idea about the others. And I know it's not claiming to be a complete list, but I can think of obvious examples that might be on it if that were the answer. (Prince, Purple Rain say). So probably not...
Old 16 August 2016, 10:58 AM

It's Tuesday, and time once again for a dose of Ken Jennings' trivia. As per Mr. Jennings' request, our question 7 is delayed one week.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Between 1971 and 1985, who painted over 240 canvases of a German model named Helga Testorf?
The ingenious marketing of the "Helga Pictures" landed Andrew Wyeth on the covers of both of Time and Newsweek.

2. What two cities are represented by the NHL franchises that share their respective names with the warring street gangs in West Side Story?
The Jets and the Sharks (snap, snap, high-kick, pow) play in Winnipeg and San Jose, respectively.

3. What 110-mile-per-hour air currents circle Earth's tropopause in a westerly direction?
That's the jet stream, and it's a double-edged sword unless you just want to keep flying east around the world.

4. Laura Linney, Alan Cumming, and David Tennant are the three most recent hosts of what long-running PBS series?
They host the latest incarnations of the Masterpiece Theatre brand, known simply as Masterpiece.

5. According to the famous first line of Julius Caesar's war commentaries, what was divided into three parts?
All of Gaul. France, we call it.

6. What satirical self-help book of 1952, subtitled "The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune," was adapted into a hit Broadway musical a decade later?
There actually was a book about How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. I sort of forgot about the West Side Story question. Didn't meant to have two (well, 1) Broadway questions on the same quiz. That's a bit much.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these albums? Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles, Lemonade by Beyonce, Earthling by David Bowie, Slowhand by Eric Clapton, Glass Houses by Billy Joel, Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park, Like a Prayer by Madonna, Ten by Pearl Jam, Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen, Remain in Light by Talking Heads, Electric Warrior by T. Rex, The College Dropout by Kanye West.
Each album has a photo of the artist on the cover--but with their face(s) not visible or obscured in some way.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. A century ago in Britain, "Panks" and "Peths" were supporters of what cause?

2. What country shares its name with the channel separating Madagascar from mainland Africa?

3. The logical symbol for disjunction, ∨ or + or ∥, is usually read aloud as what short English word?

4. Name either one of the two U.S. states that currently have a woman Republican governor.

5. What is the national fruit of India, commonly used to make lassi drinks there?

6. What odd number was skipped in the course of titling Adele's three studio albums to date?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these countries? Bangladesh, Chad, Djibouti, Georgia, Palau, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Swaziland.

Enjoy!
Old 16 August 2016, 02:07 PM

Quibble about last week's answers; Gallia was described as being in 3 parts. Only one of those parts was roughly what we now call France. Another part was what we now call Germany. (all of this was before the German tribe, the Franks, lent their name, or they and the ancestors of the modern Germans had entered these territories. I forget whether the 3d part of the land of the Gauls was Britain or northern Italy.

1. No idea, so I'll say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'

2. Mozambique

3. "or"

4. Is Martinez still governor of New Mexico? Oh, well, I know South Carolina is a winning answer

5. Durian?

6. No idea, but I'll guess '1', since a first album is rarely labelled as such

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these countries? Bangladesh, Chad, Djibouti, Georgia, Palau, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Swaziland.

Dirt poor? No, that's not unusual enough. They used to be parts of other nations? Same problem. Two-color national flags? Eh, I am just flailing on this.

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 16 August 2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 16 August 2016, 03:17 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Votes for women. I assume the word panks was a reference to Emily Pankhurst.
Quote:

2. What country shares its name with the channel separating Madagascar from mainland Africa?
Zambia. I have no clue, but I assume it is in Africa.
Quote:

3. The logical symbol for disjunction, ∨ or + or ∥, is usually read aloud as what short English word?
not? That's short, anyway.
Quote:

4. Name either one of the two U.S. states that currently have a woman Republican governor.
No can do.
Quote:

5. What is the national fruit of India, commonly used to make lassi drinks there?
something with lots of seeds.
Quote:

6. What odd number was skipped in the course of titling Adele's three studio albums to date?
23. She was too busy with her baby to make an album that year.
Quote:

They all gained their independence since 1950.

Seaboe
Old 16 August 2016, 04:28 PM

5. Mango (Mack- you replaced one of the most delicious fruits with one of the most disgusting.)

6. 23
Old 23 August 2016, 12:14 PM

Ken Jennings writes:
Now that the Olympics are over for another four years (because everyone knows the Winter Olympics don't really count), we can turn our attention back to the worldwide competition that really matters: the weekly mental gymnastics occasioned by Tuesday Trivia.

With that said, here are:
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Emmeline Pankhurst and Emmeline Pethick-Lawrence, along with their respective acolytes (many of whom were not even named Emmeline) led the charge for women's suffrage in Edwardian England.

On the merits, it probably SHOULD be called the "Madagascar Channel," but on maps it's the "Mozambique Channel." Freaking Mozambican privilege.

Conjunction is "AND," but disjunction is "OR."

My source was wrong on this and I should have double-checked; there are actually three such states: New Mexico, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.

The mango is the national fruit of not just India, but also Pakistan and the Philippines. Why doesn't the U.S. have a national fruit? I vote for red Starbursts.

The three age-titled records are 19, 21, and 25, so 23 is the missing number.

7. What unsual distinction is shared by all these countries? Bangladesh, Chad, Djibouti, Georgia, Palau, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Swaziland.
The capital of each of these countries begins with an unusual consonant pair, one we don't have in English. For the record: Dhaka, N'Djamena, Djibouti, Tbilisi, Ngerulmud, Ljubljana, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte, and Mbabane.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Chrysotile fibers make up the "white" and most commonly used type of what mineral and building material, which takes its name from the Greek for "inextinguishable"?

2. What's the more common name for "Ellen's Third Song," an extremely popular Franz Schubert composition adapted from Walter Scott's "Hymn to the Virgin"?

3. The official legal name of the NFL's New York Giants adds what word between "New York" and "Giants"?

4. What 1975 film has had the longest theatrical run in movie history, with several theaters still screening it weekly or monthly over 40 years later?

5. A 2005 study found that 138 people had died at what landmark during its existence between 1961 and 1989?

6. A Syrian immigrant named Abdulfattah Jandali was the biological father of what future CEO, adopted and raised by a blue-collar San Francisco couple in 1955?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Jacques-Louis David, David Duke, Karen Horney, Hypatia, Piet Mondrian, Roberto Rossellini, Georges Seurat, Paul Wolfowitz.

Enjoy!
Old 23 August 2016, 12:27 PM

1. Chrysotile fibers make up the "white" and most commonly used type of what mineral and building material, which takes its name from the Greek for "inextinguishable"?

Asbestos

5. A 2005 study found that 138 people had died at what landmark during its existence between 1961 and 1989?

Berlin wall
Old 23 August 2016, 12:59 PM

1. Gotta be asbestos
2. The only one I can name is the Ode to Joy
3. I'd like to say it is F***ing, but I think "City" is more likely.
4. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
5. Empire State Building
6. Steve Jobs
7. I don't know enough about any of these to guess

ETA: D'oh I am sure Floater's answer is better on 5 - I overlooked a critical word
Old 23 August 2016, 03:57 PM

Baseball

1. I'm guessing Asbestos.
2. I have absolutely no clue.
3. City?
4. The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Someone tried to get me to go see it to be part of the experience.
5. 1961? Golden Gate Bridge?
6. Sounds like Steve Jobs
7. I only know one, maybe 2 and I can't determine what connects them

ETA. I am also kicking myself on Floater's answer. Was not thinking that way at all.
Old 23 August 2016, 04:22 PM

2. What's the more common name for "Ellen's Third Song," an extremely popular Franz Schubert composition adapted from Walter Scott's "Hymn to the Virgin"?

3. The official legal name of the NFL's New York Giants adds what word between "New York" and "Giants"?

4. What 1975 film has had the longest theatrical run in movie history, with several theaters still screening it weekly or monthly over 40 years later?

6. A Syrian immigrant named Abdulfattah Jandali was the biological father of what future CEO, adopted and raised by a blue-collar San Francisco couple in 1955?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Jacques-Louis David, David Duke, Karen Horney, Hypatia, Piet Mondrian, Roberto Rossellini, Georges Seurat, Paul Wolfowitz.

1. Asbestos
2. No idea
3. Football (as opposed to the NY Giants who played baseball at the time)
4. Rocky Horror Picture Show?
5. Berlin Wall
6. Steve Jobs?
7. No idea
Old 23 August 2016, 05:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Asbestos.
Quote:

The Minute Waltz.
Quote:

State.
Quote:

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Quote:

Space Needle
Quote:

Howard Schulz[
Quote:

I don't know Horney, Hypatia or Wolfowitz. Four of the other five are artists of one sort or another. The fifth is slime. I have no clue what they have in common.

For the other six, I bit my tongue and gave answers without comment. It was harder than I thought it would be, which is why I'm blathering on now.

Seaboe
Old 23 August 2016, 05:28 PM

Asbestos.

Ave Maria.

Football.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The Berlin Wall?

Steve Jobs.

Nothing comes to mind.
Old 23 August 2016, 06:26 PM

All the answers I know have been given, but I will say I'm positive that Chillas has #3 right.
Old 23 August 2016, 07:23 PM

Glasses

I'm pretty sure he's nailed #2 as well.

Seaboe
Old 23 August 2016, 08:22 PM

I was annoyed that I didn't think of Floater's answer for 5. too - re-reading, it's obvious but the phrasing of the question didn't click when I first saw it!

I would like to have a guess for number 7, although my guesses are usually terrible. I think that they are or were all colourblind. That isn't necessarily massively unusual in general, but as Seaboe pointed out, quite a lot of them are artists (painters or visual artists) and it's more unusual there. Seurat and Mondrian at least both have techniques that I can imagine had something to do with that (being slightly colourblind myself) - pointillism and abstract stuff working with large flat areas of primary colours, respectively. (Although only a subset of Mondrian's work fits that exact description, his other stuff that I'm familiar with still features brightly-coloured dots arranged in geometric patterns on a less distinctive background). Possibly the ones who aren't artists, such as Wolfowitz, have also made a point of this at some time in the past.
Old 30 August 2016, 11:05 AM

Good Tuesday morning, all.

Ken Jennings writes:

From the smartest trivia freak to the most clueless dullard, everyone in the world looks forward to Tuesday morning, when a new Tuesday Trivia quiz appears in their inbox, sparkling with the morning dew. That moment is here again!

And so, on with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Asbestos means "inextinguishable"...which is a little confusing, I guess, since it's not exactly famous for always being on fire.

The "Ave Maria" actually comes from Walter Scott's The Lady of the Lake.

They're actually the New York Football Giants, since baseball's Giants also played in New York until 1957.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a literal time warp. Portland, Oregon's Clinton Street Theater, for example, has been screening it weekly going back to 1978.

Estimates of the death toll at the Berlin Wall range between 78 and 245. The last fatal defection happened in March 1989, when Winifried Freudenberg crashed in a homemade balloon filled with natural gas.

Steve Jobs was given up for adoption because his biological mother was unable to marry Jandali. (Her dad threatened to cut his young daughter off if she married an immigrant.)

Each was (or is) a key member of a movement identified with the prefix "Neo-". Respectively: neoclassicism, neo-Nazism, neo-Freudianism, Neoplatonism, neoplasticism, Italian neorealism, neo-impressionism, and neoconservatism.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In what Goethe play does a poodle transform into the devil Mephistopheles?

2. Because the product was designed to be casual and disposable, the word "Swatch" was coined as a portmanteau of what two-word phrase?

3. The "radiant" is the constellation in space (notable examples including Perseus and Leo) from which what appears to originate?

4. A man named Linus briefly mentioned in Second Timothy is best known today for traditionally being the second person to do what?

5. What two stars of TV's Stranger Things first co-starred in 1989, as circus performers in the Roy Orbison video "A Love So Beautiful"?

6. What city has the same name today as when it was the capital of "Russian America" between 1808 and 1867?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these animals? Bison, boa, dugong, gorilla, hippopotamus, junco, lemur, lynx, oryx, puma, python, rhea.

Enjoy!
Old 30 August 2016, 11:25 AM

1. In what Goethe play does a poodle transform into the devil Mephistopheles?

Das also war des Pudels Kern. Faust

2. Because the product was designed to be casual and disposable, the word "Swatch" was coined as a portmanteau of what two-word phrase?

Swiss watch

3. The "radiant" is the constellation in space (notable examples including Perseus and Leo) from which what appears to originate?

Meteor showers
Old 30 August 2016, 12:47 PM

1. In what Goethe play does a poodle transform into the devil Mephistopheles? Faust?

2. Because the product was designed to be casual and disposable, the word "Swatch" was coined as a portmanteau of what two-word phrase? Swiss Watch? That's wht I always assumed it meant

4. A man named Linus briefly mentioned in Second Timothy is best known today for traditionally being the second person to do what? Come back from the dead

6. What city has the same name today as when it was the capital of "Russian America" between 1808 and 1867? Has to be an Alaskan city... I dunno... Nome?
Closed Thread