snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 04 August 2013, 08:31 PM

Icon105 Dying 2-year-old son is best man at parents' wedding

Looking dapper in a tiny tan pinstripe suit and orange shirt, a 2-year-old boy with only weeks to live served as the best man for his parents' wedding.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...t-man/2616941/
Old 04 August 2013, 08:59 PM

I think this is the first time a link I've clicked on here at snopes has made me tear up.
Old 05 August 2013, 01:45 AM

Mouse

Don't feel bad, Sue: just reading the summary of the article is making me tear up.
Old 05 August 2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Looking dapper in a tiny tan pinstripe suit and orange shirt, a 2-year-old boy with only weeks to live served as the best man for his parents' wedding.
Sometimes it's the little details that crack through my fairly tough skin. It's one thing to know and understand that it's terrible that, somewhere in the world, this couple is losing their son. It's another to find what feels like a sliver of their their actual life, one personal choice they might have to face in a sea of horrors, and just be punched in the gut buy it. All I could think is "Is that the suit they're going to bury their son in? Suits are so damn expensive. How could they afford another one so soon? Will he live long enough to outgrow it? Oh god, what if it is." I'm getting teary just typing this up and thinking about it a second time.

It doesn't even matter if that particular family could afford a whole new wardrobe for their kid every week, the idea that someone in the world had to reuse their child's wedding clothes for their own funeral, it just broke me up inside.
Old 05 August 2013, 04:34 AM

I can understand your tears, and agree. But in this case, I think it would maybe be appropriate to have him buried in the suit he wore on that day, when they moved it up so he could attend and participate. It was a special day for his parents and for him and it may comfort them in some tiny fraction to bury him in that suit.
On the other hand they may buy him a new one. I don't know. But in this particular case I'm guessing they could buy another one if they felt the need.
Old 05 August 2013, 02:00 PM

That made me really, really sad. I really feel for those parents.
Old 05 August 2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Sometimes it's the little details that crack through my fairly tough skin.
I'm the same way. When we attended the funeral of the 2 year old son of our friends, the thing that got me crying was that he was in a child-sized casket. It hit me that there are enough children dying that the industry will make tiny caskets for them instead of just using full-sized ones. That means that there were lots and lots of parents having to bury their little children.
Old 05 August 2013, 09:29 PM

I just rehung the picture of a friend's son who dies of SIDS at 6 weeks. DH was the godfather and our son is named for the baby. My girls have been asking a lot of questions about him and it brings back some of the grief even though it was 17 years ago. The little baby's mom said that she was always afraid everyone would just forget about him since he was so young. She really likes seeing his picture at our house and she was really touched to learn that another friend was knitting hats for seriously ill babies at one hospital in her late son's honor.
Old 06 August 2013, 02:35 PM

Icon06 Parents' 2-Year-Old Best Man Dies Days After Wedding

A terminally ill 2-year-old Pennsylvania boy has died after gaining national attention for serving as best man at his parents' wedding with just days to live.

Looking dapper in a tiny tan pinstripe suit and orange shirt, Logan Stevenson served as the best man for his parents' wedding Saturday afternoon. Two days later he was gone, family spokeswoman Sylvia Johnson confirmed to the Associated Press.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...218497351.html