snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 February 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I think it goes back further than 20 years.
Yeah, it's definitely goes back further than 20 years.
Quote:
However, some Republican leaders have made a habit of referring to their opposition incorrectly and discourteously as the “Democrat Party.” The reason isn’t entirely clear; it may be meant to imply that the party isn’t sufficiently “democratic” in the general sense, or may just be meant as a petty insult. In August 2006, Hendrik Hertzberg traced this Republican usage, which he termed a “slur” on his party, back to the 1940s. He says it was used by opponents to needle the powerful Pendergast organization in Kansas City, which backed Harry Truman. He also says it was used often by the late Sen. Joseph McCarthy.
https://www.factcheck.org/2007/12/th...emocrat-party/
Old 16 February 2019, 02:29 AM

I stand corrected.
Old 16 February 2019, 09:14 PM

Flame

Not a little thing, but not worth a new thread...

My Uncle (Dad's brother) died in 1976 as a young man. My Grandparents bought a triple plot in the nearby cemetery and put up a nice headstone. I believe the headstone was in place in 1977.

In 1996, my Grandfather died at the age of 87. He was buried with my Uncle. The stone was shortly afterwards etched with his date of death.

In 2010, my Grandmother died at the age of 92, and she was buried with my Uncle and Grandfather. And the stone was completed within a month.

My Aunt (Dad's sister and sister to my Uncle buried) went this past week to visit the cemetery to pay her respects on an anniversary. As she rounded the graves, she was shocked. Whoever was buried in the next row, instead of buying their own headstone, simply etched the back of my family's headstone which has been there since the mid-1970s.

Unfortunately, according to what my Aunt is saying, there is no recourse they can take. The stone is permanently marked with another family's name and details. The cemetery is taking no responsibility for it.

I'm seriously annoyed, but am 2 provinces away. And, my Aunt is a strong and determined woman. She can sort this out. But it still annoys me to no end.