snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 23 January 2013, 09:01 PM

China Man Bites Ostrich to Death

You'd think the safest place for animals is usually a zoo. That apparently isn't the case in China. At a zoo in China's Guangdong province over the weekend, a man apparently bit and killed a large flightless bird as part of an elaborate suicide attempt.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...h-death/61305/
Old 23 January 2013, 09:26 PM

Chinese zoos appear to have an appalling lack of concern for their animals.
Old 23 January 2013, 09:39 PM

If you want to commit suicide at a zoo, stand too close to the rhino, don't bite the ostrich.
Old 23 January 2013, 10:04 PM

When i first moved to Atlanta metro, the zoo had deteriorated alarmingly, to the point that many of the animals died on their own, and many others were taken by the staff and eaten. It is a totally different facility now, but that was less than 30 years ago. I just bring this up to say that horrible zoos can happen here, too.

Here is some info about it; the events came before much stuff was placed on internet.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/pruit...y-jewel/nJRjY/
Old 23 January 2013, 10:29 PM

I'm very concerned about animals' welfare, yet, from what I know of ostriches, the only thing I could think when I read the headline was "impressive!" I definitely wouldn't have bet on a human besting an ostritch in hand-to-hand (as it were) combat.

I'm really sorry I read about how things are at Chinese zoos, though.
Old 24 January 2013, 12:01 AM

I know that people who are committing suicide are often mentally ill, but why do those who choose to do so so often pick incredibly selfish ways that cause harm to innocent people around them?
Old 24 January 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I'm very concerned about animals' welfare, yet, from what I know of ostriches, the only thing I could think when I read the headline was "impressive!" I definitely wouldn't have bet on a human besting an ostritch in hand-to-hand (as it were) combat.
That was my thought, too.

Quote:
I'm really sorry I read about how things are at Chinese zoos, though.
Me too. I was reading it aloud to my daughter, but I stopped when I saw where it was going. No need for her to be bummed out, too.
Old 24 January 2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
When i first moved to Atlanta metro, the zoo had deteriorated alarmingly, to the point that many of the animals died on their own, and many others were taken by the staff and eaten. It is a totally different facility now, but that was less than 30 years ago. I just bring this up to say that horrible zoos can happen here, too.
Yeah, I'm aware of some of the pretty bad stuff happening here in the US. But for the most part, we have laws and groups that at least in theory exist to protect the animals and set restrictions on the conditions the animals are allowed to be stored in, ect. There are some pretty infamous cases of when that isn't met, and there are plenty of small, private zoos that aren't accredited by the American Zoological Society- I know several in my area that fall well below what I consider humane. But even they don't just allow visitors to throw trash at their animals. Or have ostriches that are in such poor condition that a visitor could bite one to death without getting disemboweled.
Old 24 January 2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
If you want to commit suicide at a zoo, stand too close to the rhino, don't bite the ostrich.
Right on, zerocool.

I myself have never harmed an ostrich, but in Cincinnati once an ostrich snuck up and bit me. I've found them less cuddly ever since.
Old 24 January 2013, 01:47 AM

The day that I stood closer to a rhino was also the day I was almost attacked by an ostrich (and gemsbok, and a hippo- the rhino was the one animal that I wasn't in danger of being attacked by).
Old 24 January 2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Right on, zerocool.

I myself have never harmed an ostrich, but in Cincinnati once an ostrich snuck up and bit me. I've found them less cuddly ever since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The day that I stood closer to a rhino was also the day I was almost attacked by an ostrich (and gemsbok, and a hippo- the rhino was the one animal that I wasn't in danger of being attacked by).
There are so many lines I could say here. My mind just boggles*. What were you doing!