snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 10 August 2017, 09:52 PM

Icon204 A Brief History of 'NSFW'

In 1998, when the internet was awash in primary colours and clip art, a woman is rumoured to have posted on a Snopes.com forum, warning users to censor themselves in case "British school children" were lurking.

Forum members did as they were told, and began using the abbreviation "NFBSK" (short for "Not For British School Kids") in the place of rude content. And it must have stuck, because two years later it emerged on a database of internet jargon along with many other abbreviations that have since died off.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-brief-history
Old 11 August 2017, 01:26 AM

Interesting. Coming late to the party, I had been assuming that "NSFBSK" was in part taking off from "NSFW". Apparently, at least if that article's correct, it's the other way around.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:37 AM

From what I was told (it originated before my time, even), "NFBSK" originated when some actual British school children became users of the board, and because of that people started labeling "adult" topics "Not for British school kids".
Old 11 August 2017, 01:39 AM

This is the origin story I learned.

Quote:
"Not for British School Kids" alludes to a time when some actual pupils from a boys' school in England posted a few questions on the board. (It was an eight-year-old, and the name of the school was St. Benedict's Catholic School IIRC.)
Old 11 August 2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I had no idea that site still existed!
Old 11 August 2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
From what I was told (it originated before my time, even), "NFBSK" originated when some actual British school children became users of the board, and because of that people started labeling "adult" topics "Not for British school kids".
Before almost all of our times, I think. It was an in-joke even when I started posting here in late 1999. (I'd been reading the site since 1996 or 1997 but didn't spot the message board until I had a question to ask). The link Cervus posted from INorden will be as accurate as any.

I hadn't realised that "NSFW" evolved from "NFBSK" either, but it's certainly true that we were using "NFBSK" here for several years before I saw "NSFW", and it's true that for a while "NFBSK" had started to spread elsewhere, such as the Straight Dope boards (I think that was one of them - there was some crossover back then, although I never did more than occasionally lurk there myself).

Last edited by Richard W; 11 August 2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11 August 2017, 04:57 AM

FWIW, I never believed that "not for British school kids" story.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that link. I now know what SLC means without the embarrassment of asking. (Somehow, admitting this now is far less embarrassing.)
Old 11 August 2017, 05:12 PM

I had always meant to someday investigating what SLC meant as well. But I figured as long as I pretended I knew what it meant, everyone would assume I belonged and I wouldn't have to face any large mobs chanting "NOT ONE OF US...."
Old 11 August 2017, 07:59 PM

I have a vague recollection of being glad that the Initiation Rites appeared to have become optional (maybe they had been all along?); though an equally vague impression that there were still people doing them when I joined.
Old 11 August 2017, 09:23 PM

I never participated in the initiation rites, though I do recall it involved pirates...
Old 11 August 2017, 11:25 PM

There were also naked mole rats, but I'm not at liberty to say more.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:49 PM

You are all forgetting the Mysterious Box of Mystery TM.
Old 12 August 2017, 03:18 AM

What I remember of reading the initiation rites thread seemed to be at least partly designed to teach people how to use the boards and the internet in general, or to prove that they already knew how: finding answers to specific questions and finding and posting photos of particular things. Since I never did it I may well not have the right impression. There did seem to be a rather in-group tone to what one had to find. I was also on dial-up at the time, and some of it seemed pretty time-consuming to do on dial-up.
Old 12 August 2017, 05:07 AM

GenYus, didn't we go through those rites at the same time? My memory of it is a bit vague and wild...
Old 12 August 2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
FWIW, I never believed that "not for British school kids" story.
That it happened or that there were really British school kids behind it? Because it definitely happened. The date in the article sounds correct. It was before the board was in this format and was just threads on a page, kind of like Reddit is now. I remember there was some project the kid(s) were working on. Then a joke sprang up about "oh better be careful, there are British school kids here!" and the initialism as born. The site Cervus linked to was written by a person who was active on the board when the incident happened. She's still registered on this board but has been here in a while. So yes, it really did happen.
Old 14 August 2017, 02:04 PM

Icon104

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
You are all forgetting the Mysterious Box of Mystery TM.
Is that to be found in the Forbidden Closet of Mystery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I never participated in the initiation rites, though I do recall it involved pirates...
Quote:
There were also naked mole rats, but I'm not at liberty to say more.
If the rumors I heard are correct, these were not the species known as naked mole rats, but rather regular mole rats that weren't wearing anything - except pirate hats.

I also hear it was conducted conducted by these British school kids:

...at least that's what I've heard. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 14 August 2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
GenYus, didn't we go through those rites at the same time? My memory of it is a bit vague and wild...
Mine is also vague and wild so I'm guessing yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Is that to be found in the Forbidden Closet of Mystery?
No one really knows....
Old 14 August 2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
That it happened or that there were really British school kids behind it? Because it definitely happened. The date in the article sounds correct. It was before the board was in this format and was just threads on a page, kind of like Reddit is now. I remember there was some project the kid(s) were working on. Then a joke sprang up about "oh better be careful, there are British school kids here!" and the initialism as born. The site Cervus linked to was written by a person who was active on the board when the incident happened. She's still registered on this board but has been here in a while. So yes, it really did happen.
I was around then, too, and my memory accords with yours. If I recall correctly, a class of British school children were trying to see how many websites would acknowledge them internationally. I believe they asked people to forward their contact info to others, too. Their message appeared on snopes. A little later there MAY have been a thread on an adult topic actually titled "Not for British school kids." Anyway, the term stuck.
Old 15 August 2017, 06:19 AM

Australia

Nobody gave a NFBSK about Aussie School kids.

I actually enjoyed my initiation, Jello shots probably, back in the day when we didn't have an Aussie flag icon.