snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 02 May 2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Here's the other thing about ESB: It didn't actually end with Han getting frozen in carbonite -- or even with Luke getting his hand cut off. We see Lando switch sides and escape with Leia, Chewbacca, and the droids. Luke gets rescued and gets his hand replaced. And at the end, Lando and Chewie are clearly setting off on the rescue mission. It's not a triumph, but it's not a total disaster, and we see the clear possibility of a recovery.

Infinity War, on the other hand....
The Red Letter Media guys pointed out that ESB had a bitter sweet ending but Infinity War's ending was just bitter, it didn't have the sweet. ESB's ending told the audience "Don't worry, this isn't over, we'll fix this somehow" but IW doesn't give the audience that sliver of hope (except in the post credits scene which apparently confused a lot of people because they didn't recognise the symbol in it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
And I absolutely think that it had a beginning, middle, and end. It's just that the protagonist of the movie is Thanos, and he got the ending he was going for.
And just in case that wasn't clear to anyone, in the credits where they usually write "[hero] will return in [next movie]" they had "Thanos will return"
Old 02 May 2018, 03:32 AM

Old 02 May 2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
And just in case that wasn't clear to anyone, in the credits where they usually write "[hero] will return in [next movie]" they had "Thanos will return"
To quote Cap himself "I got that reference!"
I didn't associate it with Thanos being the protagonist, but now it makes sense
Old 02 May 2018, 07:36 PM

Default It wasn't an Avengers movie after all.

The writers confirm that Thanos was the protagonist of the movie.

'Avengers: Infinity War' Writers Explain Ending

Quote:
The writing duo of Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (who managed to snag a cameo in the film) always knew Thanos would come out of Avengers: Infinity War victorious. Although the film only has "Avengers" in its title, it was always intended to be a Thanos movie with the Mad Titan serving as the protagonist.

"This is the hero's journey for Thanos," McFeely told Buzzfeed. "By the end of the hero's journey, our main character, our protagonist — at least, in this case — gets what he wants."
Old 04 May 2018, 10:45 PM

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ is a profoundly sad portrait of an abusive family

(Contains spoilers)
Old 08 May 2018, 03:27 AM

My aunt thinks Hercules Returns is one of the funniest movies ever, so I had to watch it. It’s funny, for sure, but I found it impossible to believe they were improvising.
Old 14 May 2018, 04:03 PM

I watched Sailor Moon R for the first time since about 2003 last night. Aside from the obvious continuity issues and the part where everyone can breathe in space (despite wearing little more than leotards), it held up to the fond memories I have of the show. It helps that the phrase “Now do your thing, Moon Mama” is no longer an issue.
Old 15 May 2018, 05:27 PM

Watched "RBG" this past weekend. Excellent documentary! I suspect many on this board would enjoy it greatly. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has led a fascinating life, and I really enjoyed learning more about her. Watching her watch "Saturday Night Live" portray her for the first time was hilarious and heart warming.

RBG: A look at the life and work of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:03 AM

Mouse

I saw Tomb Raider. It was a nice bit of fun, though it stalls once she’s inside the temple and the movie never quite achieves the same cheeky fun as the fox hunt scene. I liked it more for the actress they had playing Lara than anything else. It’s nice to see an action heroine with some muscle, someone who looks like they’ve put in long hours of training, not a waif. I might have to add Alicia Vikander to my list of “People Who Make Me Question My Commitment to Heterosexuality.” She looks a lot like Natalie Portman and Natalie Portman is already on my list.

I also saw Deadpool 2. It was good, though there were parts where things were so maudlin, I’m like, “Uh, Deadpool’s going to show up and make some jokes, soon?”

I found Cable to be more a cipher, rather than a character, and I remain disappointed that they didn’t have any digs about how very 90s Cable is. I’m just saying—his character is pretty much the embodiment of every trend in 90s comic books. The guy couldn’t be anymore 90s, if they had him drinking Surge and wearing JNCOs. I assume if anything compelling/interesting about comic!Cable is due more to the other writers who got a hold of him, rather than his creator. The fact that Rob Liefeld was the highest-paid comic book artist during the 90s, is a fact that should forever fill us with shame. Not just comic book fans or publishers, everyone. We will all have to answer for all this to our kids and grandkids.

It was nice that they paid tribute to one of Deadpool’s traits: he doesn’t mess with kids and has zero NFBSKs to give to those who do. His comic book background establishes that he was abused as a kid. Often in the comics, if kids are nearby, he’ll drag them away from the fight or drape a sheet or blanket over them, so they don’t see him un-alive somebody. Deadpool being a surprisingly good father figure. Let’s face it, though: Deadpool is closer to Bender than Ward Cleaver as a parent, as the last panel shows.

I have to say that I didn’t enjoy this movie’s actions scenes as I did the previous one. They just didn’t have the same fun and energy. So much of what made the first Deadpool movie so great, is that the studio pretty much had zero faith in it. Heck, at the last minute, they cut $11 mill. from the movie’s budget, which forced them to scramble and be creative.

I still enjoyed the movie, don’t get me wrong, but I had stuff to say, so there.
Old 21 May 2018, 05:14 PM

I saw Deadpool 2 as well. I liked it, but I didn't love it. There was a long stretch in the middle that had me wanting to check my watch, which is never a good sign. But it began well, and ended well, so ultimately I'll say it was successful.
I am amazed at how many people I've talked to didn't catch the Vanisher cameo. I mean, I felt like his face took up most of the screen when it happened, and yet when I've talked to others, they had no idea.
Old 21 May 2018, 05:45 PM

Vanisher's kind of an obscure character. I've read some of the stories he's appeared in and I still had to look him up.
Old 21 May 2018, 10:02 PM

I didn't mean the character, I meant the actor playing the character. The actor is briefly visible, but of the dozen or so people I've talked to about the movie, only one caught it during the movie, and a couple more had looked up cameos later.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:10 AM

I haven't seen Avengers: Infinity Wars because all the Marvel movies run together and I hate extended CGI fight scenes. I enjoyed Black Panther but kept wishing it was shorter.

But Mrs from Georgia is a Marvel fan and went to see IW alone today while I was gardening, and when she came back, she gave me an hour-long plot summary, not minding at all that I kept murmuring, "I don't care."
Old 22 May 2018, 02:17 AM

Mouse

Vanisher played a vital role, but nowhere near as important as Peter and his adorable mustache.

Regarding Infinity Wars, I wonder if the sequel will prove that Thanos's whole deal about destroying half the universe to save it, is BS. But I suppose it would kind of destroy his reputation, if it was revealed that Thanos is basically an entitled NFBSK-boy who is destroying the universe, because he can't accept that she's just not that into him. Death isn't obligated to put out, because you can spell your name with planets, Thanos.

Last edited by Mouse; 22 May 2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Thought of More to Say
Old 22 May 2018, 02:56 AM

Well, just think of how many nukes would start flying if half the world's population suddenly disappeared? The Evangelicals would be convinced it was the Rapture. Dictators would be convinced it was a secret weapon by their enemies. Opportunistic nutjobs would be convinced it was a perfect time for an invasion.

Meanwhile, went and saw Deadpool 2. It was okay. Fun, but there were some points where the attempt at humor was really forced.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
The actor is briefly visible, but of the dozen or so people I've talked to about the movie, only one caught it during the movie, and a couple more had looked up cameos later.
I got to the "is that...?" stage, but it happened so fast that I was left uncertain that it was him.

It was OK, but probably the best part of the movie was the Peter character, and they showed about 80% of his role in trailers. It wasn't a groundbreaking film. I liked it better than Infinity War, but less than Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok.

I guess it was comparable to the original Deadpool, but in different ways. The original Deadpool felt fresh, exciting, and funny, but the actual plot was almost non-existent. This one moved along a little better and more or less made sense, but the premise is already starting to feel a bit recycled and some of the humor didn't land.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:39 PM

Since the last two movies I saw in theaters were Black Panther and Infinity War (and I enjoyed both) I've been on a bit of a run catching up with various other comic book movies I missed seeing when they first came out. My most recent two:

Doctor Strange - My immediate impression of him as a character was that he and Bruce Wayne would get along famously, given the similarities in their backstories. Enjoyed the film overall, and I particularly liked how (spoiler for a two year old film) Strange, still being new to magic despite being a quick study, didn't actually defeat Dormammu, just found a way for neither of them to win their fight. I had a look at some of the deleted scenes as well, and several left me wondering why they were cut - one in particular answered the "where'd this guy come from?" question the main film left me with.

Wonder Woman - Again, a highly enjoyable film. I felt as though Diana's fish-out-of-water moments when she first left Themyscira may have stretched on a tad too long, but the movie segued to the main plot just as the trope was starting to get old.

Bonus movie that I watched a while ago: Suicide Squad - Not terrible, but a pretty generic super team movie. I was expecting at least a moment or two of "shoot the hostage"/underhanded tactics/general deviousness in accomplishing their mission that would set them apart from a team of heroes and I never got it. It didn't help that Amanda Waller seemed more cutthroat and devious than any of the actual squad members. Fairly predictable as well - you can tell which character is definitely going to get killed off by how little of an introduction they get. And for a movie in which he was neither a member of the squad nor the villain they were fighting, there was way, way too much Joker.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post

Meanwhile, went and saw Deadpool 2. It was okay. Fun, but there were some points where the attempt at humor was really forced.
you mean... X-forced?

Old 25 May 2018, 04:13 PM

That was horrible, Alarm.

And I wish I'd thought of it first.
Old 25 May 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That was horrible, Alarm.

And I wish I'd thought of it first.
thank you! I try my best

I saw Deadpool 2 on Sunday and I liked it but as others have said, it is different than one. There where some scenes I felt were stretched out, other scenes where I felt the humour was misplaced but all in all, I still enjoyed it a lot.