snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 23 May 2018, 11:21 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, no really View Post
There is a small but vocal sect of Aussies that think we should cut ties with the British royal family and instead align with the Danish one (The Danish crown prince married an Aussie woman).
"Carlsberg. It's Aussie for beer."
Old 23 May 2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
The train crossing alarm near my office keeps going off, apparently for no good reason. (As there have been no trains or other equipment going by.) It's annoying and distracting. Time to take a break to go get a cup of coffee, I guess. I just hope it stops soon.
I'll try to stop going off! Sorry for the inconvenience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
"Carlsberg. It's Aussie for beer."
I thought Foster's was Aussie for beer?
Old 23 May 2018, 01:48 PM

Someone's cell phone (or some device) at work occasionally makes a noise that sounds just like the chime they play over the PA before announcing an evacuation or shelter-in-place drill.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:35 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I thought Foster's was Aussie for beer?
It's a joke, son.

Besides, from everything I've heard, Foster's isn't beer.

Seaboe
Old 23 May 2018, 03:38 PM

I asked someone who lived in Australia if Fosters was really Australian for beer.

He looked me in the eye and said "if it was worth drinking, we wouldn't sell it to you Yanks."
Old 23 May 2018, 05:10 PM

Icon24

I've heard Foster's described as "the cheap swill we sell the tourists so we can keep the good stuff for ourselves."
Old 23 May 2018, 05:27 PM

Do Australians even "send it" anywhere? The Fosters we get in the UK is all brewed here - there'd be no point in brewing it in Australia and exporting it half way round the world.
Old 23 May 2018, 05:37 PM

The Fosters we get in the US is brewed in Canada by Molson. I always kind of wondered if they brewed it in Canada so they can still legally call it "imported" and fool Americans into thinking it came from Australia.

And I don't think they sell it to tourists, at least not tourists in Australia, because in my experience you can't actually find it there. Victoria Bitter seemed to be the most common there.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 23 May 2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 23 May 2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
It's a joke, son.

Besides, from everything I've heard, Foster's isn't beer.

Seaboe
I knew that

and here in Canada, Foster's wouldn't even make it onto the canoe...
Old 23 May 2018, 06:01 PM

Yes, I never saw Fosters there either, in 2001. Definitely drank mostly VB in Melbourne, and mostly Tooheys in Sydney I think.

Apparently if I'd got as far north as Brisbane then people would indeed have been drinking Castlemaine XXXX, which used to be the other stereotypical Australian beer in the UK - it seems to be completely out-of-fashion, if not completely unavailable, now but it was always nicer than Fosters so I can see why Australians actually drink it; I used to drink it myself as a teenager.

(eta) I'm not even sure that Fosters advertises itself as being Australian these days. Maybe it still does.

(eta again) I was curious, so...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlemaine_XXXX

Quote:
XXXX was brewed under licence in the UK by InBev Ltd until 2009. It was commonly available in cans in British off licences and sometimes on tap in British pubs. At 3.7% alcohol, the British brewed XXXX was somewhat weaker than most of the Australian variants. Castlemaine XXXX was withdrawn from the UK at the end of June 2009 when InBev's licensing agreement expired.
That's why you can't get it here any more. I guess ours may not have been as good as the Australian one - these days I might find a lager at 3.7% a little weak (although not an ale), but I remember it being one of the better options available in cans at the end of the 1980s and early '90s. I usually drank ale in pubs.

Last edited by Richard W; 23 May 2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 24 May 2018, 04:33 PM

People who unintentionally block other people's time when creating OOTO calendar items.

Wow, Jack's in all-day meetings every day this week? No, wait, he's not -- one of his direct reports is OOTO every day this week, and doesn't know how to use Outlook.
Old 24 May 2018, 10:43 PM

I thought Chrome was supposed to stop auto-playing videos. It hasn't yet, and I just got blasted with sound after reading half an article without knowing there was a video attached.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:01 PM

Reporter

News people who shoehorn the "allegedly" into their reporting without actually making it mean what it should. Example: Today Michael Strahan, speaking about Harvey Weinstein, said "This alleged incident happened in 2004?" No, Michael, this incident allegedly happened in 2004. Or more correctly, this alleged incident supposedly happened in 2004. Or any other way of saying it that doesn't simultaneously say it's only alleged, but it happened.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:15 PM

That's not always accidental, especially when it comes to crimes. It's basically saying that they believe he did it but can't outright say so because he hasn't been convicted yet.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That's not always accidental, especially when it comes to crimes. It's basically saying that they believe he did it but can't outright say so because he hasn't been convicted yet.
I do realize that, but what I'm saying is just putting the word into the sentence doesn't achieve that state of "not actually saying it" if the sentence is grammatically unsound. "This alleged incident happened in 2004" means it happened, and also that someone is alleging it. In order to avoid saying it did happen, one should say "allegedly happened in 2004".
Old 25 May 2018, 04:21 PM

I went to a concert last night.

I had to go through enough security I thought I was boarding a plane.

Pens and chewing gum weren't allowed, but the multitool with a four-inch knife blade in my pocket was.

"Recording devises," such as tablets, were not allowed. Smartphones were fine. Which meant that they'd really only banned about 5% of the most commonly carried recording devices.
Old 25 May 2018, 05:16 PM

There's a TV in the break room at work. Many times I will go in there for a cup of coffee or something and the TV will just be on even though there was literally no one in the room when I got there. It seems like such a waste for it to be on when no one is in there watching it. I always turn it off when I find it like that.
Old 25 May 2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
"This alleged incident happened in 2004" means it happened, and also that someone is alleging it. In order to avoid saying it did happen, one should say "allegedly happened in 2004".
Saying it "allegedly happened in 2004" doesn't say that it might not have happened, though. That reads to me as if it definitely happened, but they're not confident about the date.

They'd have to say "the alleged incident allegedly happened in 2004"; which is a weird and awkward phrasing. I'm not sure there's a good way out of it without rewriting the whole sentence. "X alleged that Y did Z in 2004", maybe?
Old 27 May 2018, 03:28 AM

LTTAM: I generally have a green thumb, but I've never been able to keep a spider plant alive. It frustrates me because I always see it come up on lists of "easiest houseplants to grow" with assurances that they're nearly indestructible. I've gone through half a dozen of them, trying different lighting and soil and moisture requirements. They end up dying no matter what I do.
Old 27 May 2018, 07:29 PM

More plant-related annoyances: I have an infestation of mealybugs on my porch plants.