snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 16 May 2018, 08:23 PM

If your public relations person quits, you should have her emails forwarded to someone else. She is the person you have told outsiders to contact with any questions, so she gets quite a few. Luckily my questions were not too major, but they just sat there until I emailed a friend at your agency who told me the PR person quit a few weeks ago. You have in-house IT people. Forward the email.
Old 20 May 2018, 05:46 PM

Mom, when I say I don't want to discuss a topic with you, it means "no." It does not mean "if you harass me enough I'll eventually say yes." Believe it or not, there are some things I do not want to discuss with you. Sometimes especially because you're my mother. It's a thing called privacy.
Old 21 May 2018, 05:52 PM

If you want to badmouth Meghan Markle and her family and don't want to be thought of as racist it might be a good idea to do some basic research first. Your badly coded posts about her siblings don't make much sense considering the siblings do not share her ethnic background.
Old 26 May 2018, 11:18 AM

Whalephant

USA Today does not publish on Saturdays or Sundays. Don't call me a liar when I tell you that. Just take the damned Arizona Daily Star and read that.
Old 31 May 2018, 03:59 AM

If you're going to argue about something online, you maybe should make sure that you actually know the definition of the terms you're using instead of trying to blindly insist that you're right before you backpedal and try to insist that you didn't say something when your previously post is right there.
Old 31 May 2018, 01:01 PM

Computer

An email that warns that there's been suspicious activity on your account and gives you a link to accounts[companyname].com and not just [companyname].com so you can log on and verify your account is not to be trusted.

A friend just happened to be checking his emails while I was in the room and I had to explain verrrrrrrry slowly why he shouldn't enter his log in details via that link. In the end I had to get him to open the phishing spam link in one tab and the genuine website in another tab and jump between both so he could see the layout and everything wasn't right.
Old 01 June 2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
An email that warns that there's been suspicious activity on your account and gives you a link to accounts[companyname].com and not just [companyname].com so you can log on and verify your account is not to be trusted.

A friend just happened to be checking his emails while I was in the room and I had to explain verrrrrrrry slowly why he shouldn't enter his log in details via that link. In the end I had to get him to open the phishing spam link in one tab and the genuine website in another tab and jump between both so he could see the layout and everything wasn't right.
I had an email from Amex(? or another CC company) about suspicious activity on my account and it said to call the number on the back of my card to talk to someone. When I called, I complimented them on not giving links in the email.
Old 04 June 2018, 01:16 PM

France

Prompted by an incident I witnessed this morning while going to work :

It's not a good idea to check your phone while walking. You don't know what obstacles can be in front of you.

(The guy I'm talking about managed to hit his head on a big yellow handling vehicle. Thankfully, no great harm was done, but still...)
Old 04 June 2018, 03:31 PM

If I miss your phone call, then I was either busy or sleeping. I check my phone a few times a day. Calling and texting me repeatedly about the same issue is not going to make me respond any faster.
Old 08 June 2018, 12:42 PM

There is no "pit bull lobby". There are animal behaviourists, trainers, SPCA workers and veterinary professionals who know dog breeds and dog behaviour. But there is no "pit bull lobby" that's "equivalent to the NRA".

Old 08 June 2018, 02:55 PM

There is, however, an anti-pit bull lobby made up of profoundly stupid people.
Old 09 June 2018, 04:05 AM

Mouse

Unfortunately, there is, Crocoduck. There seems to be a cycle to this, where a dog breed is constantly villainized, depicted as being inherently brutish and vicious. In the past, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and Dobermans went through this. They are big, intimidating dogs, but being big and intimidating doesn't necessarily mean that they are violent. They have to be managed differently from, say, a toy poodle, but they are still dogs. Of course, as these cycles go, a-holes who don't really care about dogs, but still want an animal to attack their enemies, will buy a member of the villainized breed.

Because the purchaser is an abusive a-hole, they will neglect and abuse the poor dog, not giving any thought to its physical or psychological needs. The abused animal develops more antisocial traits, goes on to viciously attack someone, and winds up serving as another example for the cycle. Never mind that all members of a breed aren't identical. Never mind that any breed of dog, if not socialized properly or treated properly, will turn vicious and attack anything and anyone.

Heck, I can remember in the wake of Michael Vicks's dogfighting ring being revealed, so many people, including more than a few Animal Rights organizations, felt that his dogs were incapable of being rehabilitated and should all be euthanized. Luckily, cooler heads reigned and while a few were probably so far gone, they needed to be put down, most of Vicks's dogs, after being treated for their issues and fostered out, were able to be adopted by loving families and live quiet and peaceful lives.

Though I am just talking about what I've read and heard, rather than anything I've experienced. Keket, being a veterinarian, might be able to give more insight than I did.
Old 09 June 2018, 04:59 PM

Of course, a lot of the negativity against pits in particular is because they're popular with African Americans.
Old 11 June 2018, 11:45 AM

Here they're associated with working class people.

Meanwhile, people who own dogs that are trained to tear animals to shreds on sight for an illegal sport are considered the cream of the crop of society and their beagles are so cute!
Old 11 June 2018, 11:46 AM

Whalephant

Don't argue with me when I tell you your pre-paid third party reservation does not pay for your bar tab. Or your massage. It pays for room and tax only. No, not your resort fee either.*

*This one I sometimes understand because the notice that they do not pay it on the third party website can be poorly worded.
Old 11 June 2018, 01:08 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
There is, however, an anti-pit bull lobby made up of profoundly stupid people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Unfortunately, there is, Crocoduck. There seems to be a cycle to this, where a dog breed is constantly villainized, depicted as being inherently brutish and vicious.
I'm amazed at how many times I hear a story on the local TV news that goes something like "woman injured in pit bull attack". Of course if someone is bitten by a nasty collie or St. Bernard, it's just a "dog attack".

Quote:
Of course, a lot of the negativity against pits in particular is because they're popular with African Americans.
I hadn't thought of this before, but wow - I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 11 June 2018, 01:12 PM

I would also understand the resort fee complaint if the resort fee is required -- that is, if it goes automatically along with renting the room.

Not everyone runs up a bar tab, and not everyone wants or gets a massage.It's possible to use the room -- and many people do -- without being charged for either. So I wouldn't assume those things were included unless the deal specifically said so. But I would tend to assume, unless it clearly said otherwise, that a pre-paid room reservation included all the fees necessary to rent the room.

ETA: if somebody's bit by a St Bernard, I wouldn't be surprised to see it reported as a pit bull attack, either.
Old 11 June 2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
In the US that may well be true. Around here the negativity is associated with the way that pit bulls attack and the damage that can result when they do. This fear may well have been overstated but IMO it's still a valid one. Whether banning the breed is a logical next step is, of course, another thing entirely. But I don't think acting like "pitties" are sweet little angel dogs, and this is something I see often, is going to help convince anyone who's seen the results of a pitbull attack that they should reconsider their fear and concern regarding this breed.
Old 11 June 2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Meanwhile, people who own dogs that are trained to tear animals to shreds on sight for an illegal sport are considered the cream of the crop of society and their beagles are so cute!
On our walk on Sunday we passed three young men out on bikes on the towpath with a pack of young beagles. Funnily enough the beagles were quite friendly, whereas actual hunt dogs are vicious - not suitable for pets at all; a family friend of my mum's used to look after some of a hunting pack back when it was legal, and when we visited them once we weren't allowed to go outside while the dogs were being fed on the lawn. (They literally got half a dead sheep). Maybe they're friendlier when young.

I couldn't work out why anybody would still have a pack of young beagles now that hunting with a pack of dogs is illegal. Why? When the hunt ban happened, people just assumed that beagles wouldn't be bred as much any more - the people with the packs moaned that they would have to put them all down, too. Clearly they didn't do that in the end.

I also couldn't work out who these lads were. Originally I assumed they must be travellers who might be into illegal dog-fighting or something, but they weren't the right sort of dogs, and the young men were quite well-spoken. We saw them near the rowing lake at Eton Dorney, and I realised we were only a couple of miles from Eton College. I don't know if there is a connection...

(I could call that an "odd thing" I saw, really, but it's only odd if you know the political context).
Old 11 June 2018, 01:27 PM

Maybe this belongs in stupid questions but are beagles in the UK the same as beagles in Canada? The reason I ask is of course we don't have the history of fox hunting here and AFAIK beagles are the same as any other dog in terms of dogs people have as pets. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a beagle being walked down the street or even multiple beagles and it would never occur to me that they might be owned for the purpose of hunting or dog fighting! I mean isn't Snoopy a beagle?!
Closed Thread