snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 May 2018, 11:46 PM

And those truck based vans seem to have gone away. Vans today seem to be based on their own unibody chassis's.

ETA: I just looked up Chevrolet vans and they still seem to be built on a separate chassis.
Old 24 May 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
...Speaking of old vehicles, I saw a Ford Falcon van in my neighborhood. I've seen them before, in other places, but I didn't realize they were Falcons...
I had one of these for a few years, with manual transmission and "three on the tree" column shifter. They had a variety of badging; by and large the Falcon ones came with rows of seats and the Econoline ones were just big empty boxes. It was stone reliable, got great mileage for its size and weight, and would drag anything I could hitch to it over the Sierra. However, the brakes were crap, crashworthiness was dubious, and the chassis was as wibbly-wobbly as a Douglas Adams plotline. I had to scrap it when loading the engine started to cause both front seats to tilt left as the engine leaned over in its doghouse.
Old 24 May 2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I don't have a car and have no interest in this thread but just wanted to ad that we had a jeep*. The engine fell out.

*Well my parents did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I have heard a number of complaints (as well as praises) about old Jeeps, but I don't think it was common for the engines to fall out of them.

(It was pretty common for people to treat them as invulnerable, though, which I suppose might have that kind of result; even if it was the previous owners who had done so.)

I was posting for a reaction it is good old yarn to tell. The previous owners were the Australian Army so you can decide. Our old jeep was a true off road vehicle. It was never on road when we had it. I don't even think it was registered. We used it to drive from the sealed road to our beach hut along a dirt road. During the wet season (the monsoon) the track was virtually a river so you needed a four wheel drive. Once day it had to pull out about 6 other vehicles that were bogged to get to and pull out a farm tracker that had come to pull out the other vehicles.

What happened that Dad would launch our boat from the beach and would just back the jeep into the sea. As long as the engine was above the water it was ok. But eventually the engine mounts rusted through and the engine fell out one day when Dad was pulling the boat out. The engine was still running while sitting on the beach.

So it was a great jeep, we just abused it. It was a "Junker" though.
Old 24 May 2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
The engine was still running while sitting on the beach.

-- the gas line must have stayed attached??

I think your family may qualify in the 'treating as invulnerable' category, yes. I gather that some of those old genuinely army surplus Jeeps came pretty close to it, though; but eventually time and rust did get to them.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:

I assume so. It was over forty years ago so I can't recall the incident. Dad car has pretty much always been a 4WD* but he has always said this was the best one he has ever owned.

Mum and Dad brought it from the army in the early 70's so it may have even been surplus from WW2.

*A 4WD that actually went off road where a 4WD was needed, it wasn't just because it is now kinda cool to have a 4WD even if it never goes off road.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:

Even if it didn't it would have run for a little while while there was still gas* in the carburetor. When I was in high school we had a riding lawnmower that had a cutoff valve on the fuel line. Part of the "putting it away for the winter" procedure was to turn off that valve and let it run until it had used up the remaining fuel in the carburetor. As I remember it it would take a good minute for the engine to stop running. I imagine an automotive engine would have a larger carburetor, although it would burn fuel at a faster rate as well.

*Or petrol, since it happened in Australia.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:12 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post

*Or petrol, since it happened in Australia.
surely you mean guzzolene?

Old 25 May 2018, 02:07 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Well it was called the Econoline
I meant to post this yesterday--this one actually said "Falcon" on the side panel. Otherwise I'd've never connected the van to the Ford Falcon.

Today, on the way to work, I saw a Plymouth Maverick. I learned to drive in a Maverick and hated it. The back window is practically impossible to see out of.

Seaboe
Old 25 May 2018, 04:49 PM

Sooo, I had my big toenails removed. I had intractable fungus. I'm tried lamisil 4 times to no avail. The needle hurt A LOT, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome so far. Has anyone else had this done? How about the long term? It was only a month or less ago. I'd love to get a pedicure with polish and all. I've had to hide my feet for some years now. Any hints would be very welcome.
Old 25 May 2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I meant to post this yesterday--this one actually said "Falcon" on the side panel. Otherwise I'd've never connected the van to the Ford Falcon.

Today, on the way to work, I saw a Plymouth Maverick. I learned to drive in a Maverick and hated it. The back window is practically impossible to see out of.

Seaboe
Nitpick: It's a Ford Maverick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Maverick_(Americas)
Old 25 May 2018, 05:11 PM

Baseball

I thought it was the Thundercougarfalconbird.

5 points for the reference!
Old 25 May 2018, 06:15 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Nitpick: It's a Ford Maverick.
That explains it then. Plymouth always did make better cars than Ford.

It's a terrible car, whoever made it.

Seaboe
Old 25 May 2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
That explains it then. Plymouth always did make better cars than Ford.
Unhijackably, on another site someone posted a link to a 1986 Ford Taurus ad on YouTube. Ford's slogans at the time were "Quality is job one" and "Have you driven a Ford lately?" I never would have picked up on this when I was six years old, but seeing it now it reminded me of Domino's Pizza's more recent ad campaign, albeit perhaps a little less direct. As in, "We know we made some horrible cars in the 1970s, but we're trying to improve. Have you tried one of our more recent models?"
Old 25 May 2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Sooo, I had my big toenails removed. I had intractable fungus. I'm tried lamisil 4 times to no avail. The needle hurt A LOT, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome so far. Has anyone else had this done? How about the long term? It was only a month or less ago. I'd love to get a pedicure with polish and all. I've had to hide my feet for some years now. Any hints would be very welcome.
My first wife had this done. Once recovered, she has not, as far as I know now, not had any issues. For sure there where no issues during the decade we were still together after she had the procedure, can't speak so much for the last five.

Also can't speak to painting or any other cosmetic aspects, just no health difficulties.
Old 26 May 2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
We didn't get those here - if I'd seen it in the UK I'd have assumed it was an early model Ford Capri, with more aggressive styling. It has the generic "Ford" look from that era though. (Apparently Capris were also sold in the States but by Mercury, and they were meant to be more like Mustangs than these).

Capris are considered classics these days - the few you still see have usually been kept in good condition or done up nicely. Back in "my day" they were popular with boy racers and the early ones already had a bit of a cult status.
Old 26 May 2018, 05:35 PM

Glasses

Thank you Lainie and others for your kind wishes.

(Random notes from various times during my recovery.)

When a woman in her mid50s says she is cold and especially if this woman is in an ICU, don't look at her and say "But it's 65F!
Also, that isn't a blanket. That is a light cotton shawl-woven throw. This will not help the woman if it is 65F.

Needing help going to pee is no more convenient for the woman who is quite ill and taking a diuretic than it is for you. I thank you for your help but every 2 and half hours should not be considered often. I gotta go about that often while not on diuretics.

Telling me "slight pinch now" when drawing blood, or placing an IV is a blatant lie. Please look at the bruises your colleagues have left on both arms, wrists, and hands.
Saying, "Sorry, this will hurt" would be nicer and true.

Asking me if I am a Hillary voter because I am watching CNN and not Fox News is rude. The medical person who asked me what I thought about the recent shooting and then politely brought up issues in debate was not rude. And the fact that he was doing it to distract me from a painful *just a pinch* moment was quite appreciated.

Honest question -- Is there any way to get medical tape residue off of skin without scrub-brushing the recently damaged area?

Yes, the royal wedding was on TV. At that time I was not much interested in anything. It was very nice of you all who slipped into my room to ask if it was ok to watch for a moment... but turn the lights out when you leave!

That liquid you just served me was not coffee despite you saying "Here's your coffee!". Yes, I drank it. Take whatcha can get. *shrug*

Yes, I am 55 and I live alone. Really. No matter how many times you ask. And only ONE cat. Really.

Coming into my room at 4am to check my vitals -- no problem, thank you for helping in my care. Then asking if I was sleeping well --- well, I admit to just raising my eyebrows as a helicopter ambulance landed at the emergency pad outside my room during your question.

Those are the most comfortable, soft, soapy, and thick bathing wipes I have ever felt. Thank you for warming them up, that was a moment of luxury.

Speaking of TV --- how many times a day can Law & Order: SVU be aired???

Preacher lady visiting to provide comfort.... You are probably a nice and caring person. Leave.

Yes, I know my name, my birthday, what day it is, and where I am at. Just go ahead and pinch!

Why, sinister medical professional, do I hear the X-Files theme in my head when you enter the room?

The feeling I got on the first trip, standing and walking, to the bathroom by myself (with attendant present of course) made my BA degree walk pale.

Home, cat, hug, bed = true joy.

Morning
not quite broken
Old 26 May 2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post

Honest question -- Is there any way to get medical tape residue off of skin without scrub-brushing the recently damaged area?
Isopropyl alcohol worked for me. I've heard others have some luck with nail polish remover. There's also a special product that you are supposed to be able to buy at the pharmacy but I don't know if that would work any better and probably costs more!
Old 26 May 2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
Telling me "slight pinch now" when drawing blood, or placing an IV is a blatant lie. Please look at the bruises your colleagues have left on both arms, wrists, and hands.
Saying, "Sorry, this will hurt" would be nicer and true.

Glad you are out of the hospital.

My last blood test did NOT result in a bruise. I was very happy. My veins are hard to find and it seems to be common to have bruises as a result.

Try rubbing alcohol for medical tape residue. Seems to work for me, but any open cuts will sting. A lot.
Old 26 May 2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
... it reminded me of Domino's Pizza's more recent ad campaign, albeit perhaps a little less direct.
What was that one? I was curious but I can't find anything about it in the UK. Apparently there was one from 2014 that implied they wanted birds to starve, they've recently declared themselves to be the "official food of everything" in the UK, and they were accused of blasphemy after sending a poster for an "office party SAVIOUR deal" to a church, but I can't see any adverts that imply they know how rubbish their pizzas can be... (although if the pizza in that poster for the saviour deal is as appetising as they can make it look even for an advert, I can understand why they'd try).
Old 26 May 2018, 08:50 PM

It was back in 2010. Basically they read poor reviews of their pizza and said they we redoing their recipies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?noredirect=on