snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 24 May 2018, 11:43 PM

dfresh, you're a better man than I am, to willingly allow a snake to inhabit you attack.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:57 AM

I have friends who at one point had a blacksnake living in their basement. All their mice disappeared.

I wish I had a blacksnake living in my basement. (I do have three cats living in the house; but the mice live inside the walls where the cats can't get at them.)
Old 25 May 2018, 03:18 AM

Kitty,

Listen. I accept that the occasional up-chucking is part and parcel of cat ownership. You don't do it often, and when you do, there's usually a reason for it.

Might I ask you please do it on the floor like you usually do? The sheets had only been out of the dryer for an hour...

~mom
Old 25 May 2018, 10:40 AM

Snake

RichardM, I don't know that I really have a choice in the matter. The snake has been here longer than I have, and it is a 150+ year old house. I don't think I can really seal it well enough to keep the snake out.

thorny locust, the black snake does a good job in the attic. We had a snake in the basement for a while, but it was a copperhead so I politely asked it to leave by grabbing the nearest big heavy thing and whacking it a few times, till it stopped moving. My cat later caught a few small snakes in the basement. Why she didn't focus on the mice, I am not sure. Perhaps she liked the challenge? It was NOT cool to have her scratch at the door, and then come upstairs and drop a small snake on the floor and then just watch it slither off. I managed to grab each of those snakes and toss them outside.

Psihala, I think the cats get more points for marking things that are clean, like how one of my cats has decided that the pile of clean things in the laundry room is the most comfortable bed EVER.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
It was NOT cool to have her scratch at the door, and then come upstairs and drop a small snake on the floor and then just watch it slither off.
People sometimes ask me, after watching me stand up for the sixteenth time to let a cat through the door (no, there are not sixteen cats living here), why I don't get a cat door so they can just let themselves in and out.

There is a reason.

(Mine usually produce, in addition to or instead of a scratch at the door, what I call the Mouse-In-Mouth Meow. I have gotten pretty good at identifying the Mouse-In-Mouth Meow.)
Old 25 May 2018, 01:51 PM

Oh what I'd give for a good sized rat snake to live in our garage! We have been struggling with a rodent problem, and that would solve it. (Assuming it would also leave the garage for an excursion down the tunnel in the front yard.)

We've considered getting a "working cat" through the county shelter -- they have a program for feral cats. But I worry about our road, and whether it would upset our new resident cat, p.k. And the cat would be limited to just staking out the tunnel entrance.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
dfresh, you're a better man than I am, to willingly allow a snake to inhabit you attack.
What was I saying? I hadn't even had a gin and tonic at the time I posted this. I think I meant to say "your attic."
Old 26 May 2018, 01:22 AM

Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
What was I saying? I hadn't even had a gin and tonic at the time I posted this. I think I meant to say "your attic."
I did notice this and had missed the post about the snake in the attic. I was what attack was meant to be (attics aren't common in Australia)

Maybe you thinking of the snake attacking you.

Last edited by Dasla; 26 May 2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Too many ssss!
Old 27 May 2018, 02:31 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
(Mine usually produce, in addition to or instead of a scratch at the door, what I call the Mouse-In-Mouth Meow. I have gotten pretty good at identifying the Mouse-In-Mouth Meow.)
I used to have a kitty named Mister and rather than mew or meow, he yowled. No matter what, you couldn’t sit and wait him out; he would just maintain his steady yowl until he got whatever he wanted, because as far as he was concerned, he had all the time in the world.

But I still remain impressed by the time we found him at the door, yowling while carrying a dead bird in his mouth. I have no idea how he managed to yowl with a mouth full of dead bird, but I had to admire his dedication to his craft.

Regarding all the talk about snakes, eh, if the sucker isn’t venomous and it stays out of the way, I’d say leave the snake alone. Plus, it’s providing a service by taking care of all those mice.
Old 27 May 2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I have no idea how he managed to yowl with a mouth full of dead bird
IME the Mouse-In-Mouth Meow produces normal volume from the cat in question; it just has a certain Talking With The Mouth Full quality to it.

I don't know how they do it either; though people do talk with their mouths full sometimes.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:52 AM

Tsk, Tsk

Dear Gobi: You were laying on the left side of my chest/lap, Pearl just wanted to snuggle up close to me on my right side. There was no need for you to hiss and swat at her--you know there is plenty of me to go around! And then leaving in a huff--I'd call that a Pyrrhic victory. At least your claws weren't out.
Old 02 June 2018, 12:59 AM

Dear Nelson-Kitty,

I understand that it's inevitable that you're going to swallow some fur when you clean yourself, but there's no need to make the problem worse by gobbling up clumps of fur that you find on the floor.

--The guy who has to clean up your hairballs
Old 07 June 2018, 05:39 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Dear Gobi-
Why did you smack my hand when I tried to make my bed this morning? Don't you want to lay on a nice made bed? What's with the 'tude anyway? We go through this every morning! Stop the 'tude, stop the stink eye and stop the hissing. Just let me make my bed--it only takes a minute if that long!

Perplexed employee
Old 11 June 2018, 04:14 PM

Dear outside feral cats:

There is a coyote in the neighborhood, please be careful.

Dear coyote in the neighborhood:

If you keep crossing right in front of cars, you will get run over, please be careful. It would be sad if you and your pups* died because of a car accident.

(As I was backing out of my driveway, the coyote trotted right in front of my truck. She was so close to my truck that she was barely visible over the hood. If I hadn't caught a glimpse of fur as she moved past the bumper, I would have driven forward as she was in front of me. She probably could have gotten out of the way, but next time might she might not be so lucky, especially as several people drive way too fast** in the area.)

* She was close enough that I could see swollen teats, but she wasn't obviously pregnant. It is late in the season, but she could still have nursing pups.
** Not being an old man, at least one person drives so aggressively that they squeal their tires for a good 5 seconds when leaving.