snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 22 August 2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The Land That Made Me Me
A true tribute to the Greatness of America. A lesser country would have only made Mini-Me.
Old 23 August 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Perhaps, but the presence or absence of the term "gay" really has no bearing on how prominent homosexuals were in the "mainstream" public consciousness.
To add to the whole when did Gay mean "Homosexual" thing. I remember reading a while back the first use of the word to mean homosexual in a movie was in Bringing Up Baby (1938). Here is the wiki link that supports this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

Quote:
Bring Up Baby(1938) was the first film to use the word gay in apparent reference to homosexuality. In a scene in which the Cary Grant character's clothes have been sent to the cleaners, he is forced to wear a woman’s feather-trimmed robe. When another character asks about his robe, he responds, "Because I just went gay all of a sudden!" Since this was a mainstream film at a time when the use of the word to refer to homosexuality would still be unfamiliar to most film-goers, the line can also be interpreted to mean "I just decided to do something frivolous."[13]

The word continued to be used with the dominant meaning of "carefree", as evidenced by the title of The Gay Divorcee (1934), a musical film about a heterosexual couple
But as the article itself says, it was also more likely to me carefree. An in joke perhaps? but it would indicate the words meaning was evolving as early as that.
Old 23 August 2013, 12:51 AM

That was an early Hayes Code film, wasn't it? They probably couldn't have used the word homosexual.