snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 June 2018, 05:58 AM

Hello Kitty Happy Birthday, Garfield

Forty years ago today, Jim Davis's cranky cat made his debut in a whopping 41 newspapers across the nation. 41 is not a bad number to start with but if you want to make a living off your strip, you'd better get that number up and soon. Three years later, he was well in the safety zone and by his fifth anniversary, in 1,000 papers. Today, Garfield's furry face is in more newspaper strips than any other strip.

https://www.newsfromme.com/2018/06/1...arfield-day-2/
Old 20 June 2018, 12:37 PM

40? That sounds impossible, since I remember when it first came to our paper. Ah, those long ago days when we had a daily paper, and Garfield was funny (ok, I was like 9), and the world was young.
Old 20 June 2018, 01:38 PM

Garfield is in more papers than any other strip? Good grief (to steal a phrase.) Garfield's got about three jokes and does them all over and over and over, and none of them were funny the first time.

Plus which, he doesn't act remotely like a cat. That probably shouldn't annoy me, but it does.
Old 20 June 2018, 03:30 PM

Just out of curiosity, does Peanuts annoy you as well?
Old 20 June 2018, 04:39 PM

Because Snoopy doesn't always behave like a dog? Occasionally; but I always thought that in the fantasy streams that was part of the point. And when he's interacting with humans, he often does behave a lot like a dog.
Old 20 June 2018, 04:49 PM

IIRC in the early days Garfield did act more like a cat. That was before my time, but I used to check out the collections of old strips from the library when I was a kid. Then some time in the 1980s he started walking on two legs and generally became less cat like.
Old 20 June 2018, 07:59 PM

There was exactly one funny Garfield strip, it was a Sunday comic, and I cut it out and laminated it as proof; it is taped to my filing cabinet next to my computer. Here it is, on teh intarweebs, from October 26, 1986.
Old 20 June 2018, 08:12 PM

IME There are not many strips I can think of that entice people to mention how much they hate it!

FWIW I like garfield. Peanuts however can do one!
Old 20 June 2018, 08:38 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
There was exactly one funny Garfield strip, it was a Sunday comic, and I cut it out and laminated it as proof; it is taped to my filing cabinet next to my computer. Here it is, on teh intarweebs, from October 26, 1986.
There may be something wrong with my sense of humor (it's been suggested before) but I find that one of the least funny Garfield's I've seen. And I'm not even a fan of Garfield.

I do like Peanuts, but that may be partially because I grew up at the peak of its popularity in the 1960s. Some of the strips from that era are just amazing in their blending of surrealism and kids' perspective.
Old 20 June 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
IIRC in the early days Garfield did act more like a cat. That was before my time, but I used to check out the collections of old strips from the library when I was a kid. Then some time in the 1980s he started walking on two legs and generally became less cat like.
Garfield switched over to the bipedal design he's best known for pretty early in his life. IIRC, it was only 1980 or 1981 when that happened.

I liked Garfield when I was a kid, and of course I watched the cartoon every Saturday, but it's been a very, very long time since I've bothered reading any newspaper comics.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:11 PM

Cathy has long been my, why is this still in the paper? Is it funny? comic.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:19 PM

Some of the cartoon episodes are pretty good (I like several of the musical episodes -- Mark Evanier can write doggerel like nobody's business; see any issue of Groo the Wanderer featuring the Minstrel...), but they are only faintly like the comic strip.

I know I have read that Jim Davis, in creating the strip, was never concerned about making it the funniest -- he wanted it to be commercial. In fact, making it too funny might have been counter-productive, in that just about any brand of humor would end up not appealing to someone. As it is, while people may rarely laugh out loud at Garfield, if they smile at it, that's good enough. And as a commercial product, you have to admit, it's been a pretty huge success. Maybe few people love it these days, but almost nobody is actually offended by it.

Besides, it did wind up giving us the wonderful "Garfield Minus Garfield" strips. (And the fact that Davis seems to appreciate those rather than trying to put a stop to them in itself makes me like the man.)
Old 20 June 2018, 09:24 PM

This thread reminds me of how long it's been since I last read through an entire newspaper. I do sometimes see the front page but it's been years since I even remember seeing the comics page! I can remember a time when Saturday was the best day of the week because we got cartoons on TV in the morning and the colour comics supplement in the week-end paper. We were a simple people.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Maybe few people love it these days, but almost nobody is actually offended by it.
Maybe people should be.

One of the chronic long-running "jokes" in the strip is that Garfield beats up Odie; who has no choice other than to share the household with him.

He also beats up spiders, despite the fact that he carries on conversations with them first.
Old 20 June 2018, 11:09 PM

Garfield's even been called a bully in the strip for decades. But it's considered "funny" for him to punt Odie or steal the mailman's pants. Just like how it was "funny" for Jon to harass Liz the vet for twenty years until she agreed to date him.
Old 21 June 2018, 03:22 AM

Mouse

In all honesty, the newspaper comics page is made up primarily of dinosaur strips, comics that keep going long after they’ve lost any relevance or humor. These comics will pretty much keep going until the heat death of the universe, because if the papers tried to replace a dinosaur strip with something that’s actually funny, codgers with nothing but time on their hands, will deluge the paper with mail and phone calls. Apparently yelling at the kids on their lawn, doesn’t take up enough time. Maybe if we found a way to ensure that there’s a kid on their lawn at all times, they’ll scream themselves into a heart attack, and we can finally get good comics.
Old 21 June 2018, 03:34 AM

They even brought back Calvin & Hobbes.
Old 21 June 2018, 03:41 AM

Garfield wasn't meant to be funny, but in 1989, he got very dark.
Old 21 June 2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
They even brought back Calvin & Hobbes.
Whoa whoa whoa. Were these new strips?!! Or reruns?
Old 21 June 2018, 04:17 AM

Reruns only. Nothing new.