snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 12 September 2018, 06:36 PM

Icon402 Boy survives falling from tree house, being impaled in face by metal meat skewer

WDAF reports 10-year-old Xavier Cunningham was climbing a tree house with his friends in Harrisonville this weekend when a swarm of yellow jackets began attacking them.

His father, Shannon Miller, told the station that the boy fell about four feet from the ladder, landing face-first on a meat skewer sticking out of the ground.

https://www.wtae.com/article/boy-sur...kewer/23096586
Old 12 September 2018, 07:42 PM

Storing your meat skewers on end under tree houses sounds like a bad idea.

Glad the kid's going to be OK. Hope they check the area for anything else that might be under there and shouldn't be.
Old 12 September 2018, 07:47 PM

My guess upon hearing the placement of the skewers is that they were put there by the boys for some boyhood reason, probably something related to tree fort defense against the imagined adversaries of the day.
Old 12 September 2018, 09:01 PM

If that's the case, then hopefully the parents will no longer let their kids use meat skewers as toys.
Old 12 September 2018, 09:09 PM

Presuming Occam's razor, I would surmise that the parents did not "let" the boys play with such skewers. I suspect the parents where never consulted at all. But I would not be surprised if they are not a lot more diligent in the future in making sure the boy does not commandeer inappropriate kitchen tools for play. Hopefully they will be as successful {and as lucky} as all the parents of children like us who have made it to adulthood.
Old 13 September 2018, 01:53 AM

I do sometimes wonder how any of us, me included, ever lived to grow up.

But it's possible that this particular child may now need less diligence from his parents in the matter; the lesson from Mother Nature may be enough for a while. (The problem with lessons from Mother Nature, of course, is that their enforcement is erratic and often, by human standards, excessive.)

-- I agree that that's the likeliest explanation for the location of the skewer; though it's possible that a careless adult had been barbecuing in the area, or that the treehouse is over what used to be an old trash heap and things are starting to poke up out of insufficient soil cover over it.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:04 AM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Why? Itís a well known fact that all children, except one, grow up.
Old 13 September 2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Slight hijack rant: every now and then I see a meme on Facebook going on about how when WE were kids, we did all this stupid stuff, and survived -- kind of implying that kids today are too coddled because we now actually take some safety precautions. Yes, I rode in cars without seat belts (let alone shoulder harnesses) -- even standing up, sometimes -- and in the beds of pickup trucks, and lived. I also inhaled a lot of second-hand smoke and it hasn't killed me (yet). So? Some people used to survive drinking untreated water from the same river they dumped their sewage in, but that doesn't mean I think we ought to start doing that again, either.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:14 PM

Plus they fail to take into account that many kids(and adults)didn't survive, which is why we now have those safety precautions.
Old 13 September 2018, 03:26 PM

If so many kids and adults didn't survive, how come we don't hear from them?!? Hmmmm?
Old 13 September 2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Plus they fail to take into account that many kids(and adults)didn't survive, which is why we now have those safety precautions.
A lot of the people who posts those memes are also the type to laugh at "hold my beer" or at "Darwin awards" memes
Old 13 September 2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
If so many kids and adults didn't survive, how come we don't hear from them?!? Hmmmm?
Like, did you ever notice that the only people who support abortion rights weren't aborted themselves?