snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 17 April 2007, 08:34 AM

Glasses 'Savings on the reverse' a driving myth

Quote:
Dear Tom and Ray:

When my grandma and grandpa visit and take me shopping at Wal-Mart, they try to "save on the reverse." Basically, they park way in the back of the lot in a spot where they won't have to go in reverse when they leave they can go forward and "pull through" because there's no car in front of them. But then we have to walk all the way to the doors, which usually is a far walk. They get mad when someone gets their spot. Is it worth the trouble of finding a spot and walking so that they can avoid putting the car in reverse? Will the transmission last longer if they pull through instead of having to reverse the car when they leave?
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...170334/-1/NEWS
Old 17 April 2007, 11:52 AM

If anything, reverse is the last thing that will fail on the transmission, given that it's the least used gear.

While we are on reverse gear trivia, do anyone know if they have stopped using straight cogs on the reverse? Most modern cars don't have the characteristic whine caused by the straight cogs.
Old 17 April 2007, 12:06 PM

[Hijack]
Apparently driving out of a parking space (forwards) is safer than reversing out. In my multinational company it is H&S procedure to reverse in to a spot in order to be able to pull out.
[/Hijack]
Old 17 April 2007, 12:36 PM
JessBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cestrian View Post
[Hijack]
Apparently driving out of a parking space (forwards) is safer than reversing out. In my multinational company it is H&S procedure to reverse in to a spot in order to be able to pull out.
[/Hijack]
that's what I was taught.
Old 17 April 2007, 12:47 PM

Ditto.

I also think it's easier to reverse into a space. However, if you have something large to put in the boot it can be somewhat inconvenient.
Old 17 April 2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cestrian View Post
[Hijack]
[/Hijack]
And where I live, a lot of people seem to believe this, since they back so badly into spaces that they usually take up at least two of them, leaving plenty of room on either side.
Old 17 April 2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlobinske View Post
And where I live, a lot of people seem to believe this, since they back so badly into spaces that they usually take up at least two of them, leaving plenty of room on either side.
(off topic) Are you sure they aren't doing this on purpose to ensure a "buffer zone" for car doors to open? That is the first thing I think when I see a car in two spaces. Heck, I've even seen people straddle four places in what I can only imagine must be a attempt to keep their car free from any potential scratches or dings.
Old 17 April 2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus Prime View Post
(off topic) Are you sure they aren't doing this on purpose to ensure a "buffer zone" for car doors to open? That is the first thing I think when I see a car in two spaces. Heck, I've even seen people straddle four places in what I can only imagine must be a attempt to keep their car free from any potential scratches or dings.
When one tire is up on the concrete stop bar...

Undoubtedly, some of it probably is probably makeing a buffer, but others are clearly just crooked, bad parking.
Old 17 April 2007, 02:28 PM
Griffin2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlobinske View Post
I am just an ass, but when I see people parked like that, I want to park in one of the spots with them. I have been known to put my passenger door close enough to the other drivers door that Paris Hilton could not slide between the vehicles, let alone a normal width person. And just forget about trying to get the door open to get in the vehicle. My hope is that this makes the person think about it before they park like an imbecile the next time.

It is one thing if they are parked like that in the outlying spots of the parking lot, but when they are parked like that close in, it really gets my goat.
Old 17 April 2007, 02:37 PM

The last time I drove a car at all (taking my granny to the supermarket), I ended up parking diagonally across two disabled spaces, getting out and refusing to get back in and park properly...

My granny did at least have a disabled sticker so we could justify one of the spaces. (We were meeting my mum there, and I was in her car, so she drove home after the shopping.)

Saving the transmission on reverse sounds like such a silly reason to do that that it can't possibly be worth it. Do they both climb in and out of the driver's door to save wear and tear on the passenger door, too?

If there's a spot where facing spaces are empty, and you can go through from one aisle to another so that you drive in forwards and out forwards, I'd take it, though, for the convenience of not having to reverse at all. But surely you'd pull through into the outward-facing parking space as you parked? Otherwise it might be full when you get back and you'd have to reverse anyway.
Old 17 April 2007, 02:47 PM
Doug4.7

Teacher

Well, the extra walking will help their human "transmissions" last longer...
Old 18 April 2007, 12:51 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
Well, the extra walking will help their human "transmissions" last longer...
There are several reasons why I park a ways from the door, this is probably the most important. A lot of the points that were made help prove this.
  • It's safer to pull out of the spot going forward than it is in reverse
  • It helps prevent door dings (though I never encroach on more than one space)
  • It gives me more room to load my car when I'm done shopping
  • I save gas not driving around the parking lot looking for a space right by the door
  • I get excercise by walking halfway across the parking lot (yes, I always take the stairs)

Keep in mind that inclement weather or a 18th story destination will throw that last point completely out of whack.
Old 18 April 2007, 03:21 AM
OptimusShr

Quote:
(off topic)Heck, I've even seen people straddle four places in what I can only imagine must be a attempt to keep their car free from any potential scratches or dings.
I saw a Porsche parked like that coming out of Target once. Also I have seen a lot of people park with the passenger side wheels in the gap between spaces.

Also I often times park far from the entrance. Of course that's because I think circling the lot looking for a close space is stupid and you should just take the first one you see because there's no guarantee you'll find an ideal space.
Old 18 April 2007, 04:32 AM

Default Heh heh

Quote:
Back when I had a Honda Civic (a real Civic, made in 1976, narow enough to drive on a wheelchair ramp, and weighing in at around 1500 lbs), I would routinely park in one of the left over half-spots. I figured so long as I could keep the entire car within the two white lines, it didn't really matter what I was sharing it with.
Old 18 April 2007, 04:44 AM

I've never heard of this urban legend before, but I'll gladly park in a distant spot if its more convenient to park there. Either because I can avoid reversing or because I don't have any adjacent cars. Its not because of any logical justification, its just that I dislike parking and quite like walking. I'd gladly walk a mile on a nice sidewalk rather than parallel park in traffic. I'd hope nobody sees this behavior and reads any complicated fallacy like this legend into it.
Old 18 April 2007, 03:31 PM

In thinking about transmission design, there is a little bit of truth about reverse wearing the transmission out sooner. Because reverse is not used as much as the other gears, it is designed smaller and is less able to handle wear. Also, reverse gear is generally not synchronized. And metal chips from the reverse gear, if damaged, could float around in the transmission and damage other gears. It is a stretch I know.
Old 18 April 2007, 06:08 PM

The idea that reducing the amount of backing up will make a difference in the life of a transmission seems pretty silly.

I've been driving for several decades. I have driven several cars "into the ground". You know, drive it so long that when it is replaced it goes to the junk yard since the resale value is essentially $0 (and I take pretty good care of my cars).

I'm part of a very large extended family that probably owns 30+ cars at any one time.

In all that car experience the number of times a transmission has had a problem?

Zero.

Transmissions just don't fail all that often. When a car goes to the junk yard the transmission still works fine.
Old 18 April 2007, 07:07 PM

I, on the other hand, have a car that needs a transmission re-build every 1000 miles or so. Maybe it has something to do with it being a rally race car?
Old 18 April 2007, 08:34 PM

There's also a local quirk with people who pull forward out of diagonal spots in parking lots...they end up going the wrong way in a one-way lane.
Old 18 April 2007, 09:29 PM

I park in the traditional manner but when pulling out, I signal which way the rear of the car is going. I never, ever, ever pull through a space. I've seen way to many people nearly get hit doing that.