snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 12 October 2018, 01:38 AM

Dog 'Move on': Student's court bid to reverse fail grade for dog project dismissed

A student at an Australian university has been fighting to get a poor score on one of his assignments overturned by appealing to every authority and court he can contact:

Quote:
Monash University master's student Chinmay Naik was failed for a video assignment about the negative stereotypes surrounding certain dog breeds and failed again when it was re-marked.

The 23-year-old wants a Supreme Court judge to strike the result from his academic record and declare a pass for the video project.

Mr Naik believes the same examiner marked the assignment on both occasions in 2017, and claims this breaches the university's policies and is "unlawful".

He previously took his case to the Human Rights Commission, the Ombudsman and the Prime Minister's Office but those bids were unsuccessful.
https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/...-sets-example/

On Friday the judge handed down a decision, dismissing the case and awarding costs to the university
Quote:
"I encourage you to move on," Justice Melinda Richards said on Friday when handing down her decision.

The judge said it was "not the end of the world" to fail an assignment and told the student he would only have to pass one more subject.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...12-p5098u.html

Part of the issue was that he didn't fully complete the assignment which he blames on the university refusing to grant "special consideration on mental health grounds" (which the articles don't go into further) but it seems like the larger part of his complaint is that he's convinced that the university had the same examiner score the assignment after he asked for it to be re-examined. The university denies this was the case.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:46 AM

At what point would it have been cheaper and faster to just retake the class?
Old 12 October 2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
...Mr Naik explored negative perceptions around certain dog breeds, such as greyhounds.
Ah, now I see. He was done in by ebil greyhounds.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:54 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
At what point would it have been cheaper and faster to just retake the class?
Cheaper and faster doesn’t always mean right. I’m not saying this is such a case, but repressive groups (including bureaucracies) will often count on coercing people into taking the "cheaper and faster" route rather than fighting discrimination.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:58 AM

I get that, but there is the consideration of what winning actually gets you, which in this case is not much.
Old 24 October 2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post

Part of the issue was that he didn't fully complete the assignment which he blames on the university refusing to grant "special consideration on mental health grounds" (which the articles don't go into further)
I was granted special consideration for GCSE art. In my case, my final portfolio didn't include enough material to qualify for top marks under normal circumstances but, as I had missed quite a bit of schooling due to mental health problems, my work was just graded on the merit of what was submitted without being downgraded for what was missing.

I suspect he was seeking the same kind of consideration for his project - a request to ignore the fact that it was incomplete..