snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 21 April 2017, 10:35 PM

If there was a warrant out for the child's arrest all this time, wouldn't they have asked that his mom bring him in when the warrant was issued?
Old 21 April 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I doubt the police would be in for such a game. How about bureaucratic inefficiency? Like they misfiled it or forgot to put the name of the school on the warrant? Wrong address? So many possibilities. It's also just possible that arresting a 10-year old wasn't a high priority item for the department. Stupid, perhaps, but not clearly malicious.
Makes sense. A linked WWLP article states that the school system specifically said that "they do not invite law enforcement to their campuses just to arrest someone." Still very weird.

(Edited to clarify whose post I was responding to.)

Last edited by musicgeek; 21 April 2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify who was being responded to.
Old 24 April 2017, 05:40 PM

WaPo has some additional details:
Quote:
The paraprofessional educator subsequently reported that John Benjamin was being disruptive in class, “throwing paper balls around the classroom and hitting other students,” according to a police report and probable cause affidavit.

“When John Benjamin was asked to go to timeout he refused,” according to the court documents. The educator “attempted to remove the student and sent him back to the timeout place. At this point, John Benjamin started kicking and scratching and punching” him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8b74073ca810

I see school districts try to pull this crap all the time. They had better hope the time-out procedure and physical guidance procedures were part of a written behavior invention plan. If not, I hope the district can afford to deal with a DoJ and DoE investigation and are comfortable spending tens of thousands of dollars sending this kid to a super expensive private school.

Edit: also, the WaPo story mentions that the boy alleged abuse on the part of this aid. If he made these complaints and no one reported it to the state, they're in some deep ****.
Old 24 April 2017, 07:15 PM

Was he throwing paper balls that hit other students, or was he hitting other students, and also throwing paper balls?

Also, if there was actually a warrant for his arrest, then a judge signed off on it. So, not just some rogue administrators and resource officers deciding to go overboard on their own.
Old 24 April 2017, 09:51 PM

I'm talking more about what the school was doing months before the police ever got involved. Time-out procedures with older, larger kids often just sets staff up to fail. The kid says 'I won't go to time-out,' the staff uses physical guidance (restraint), and then the kid retaliates with physical aggression.