snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 01 August 2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
Absolute humidity, not relative.
I don't know what portion of my post you are addressing here.
Old 01 August 2012, 06:58 PM

I don't think it's just what you're used to. My dh & I moved from central Texas (humid) to Colorado (dry) 16 years ago. We moved up here during the summer. That very 1st winter, we were amazed at how comfortable the winters were here. We couldn't believe we were running around outside in 40 degree weather without a jacket. In Austin, when it hit 50 degrees you had to bundle up in your heaviest coat. That Christmas, we went back to Austin for a few days & we felt like we were freezing.

I know I don't handle the heat as well as I used to & I probably handle the cold better. But we noticed it immediately, so we always figured it was the dryness up here that it made it so much more comfortable and not just what we were acclimated to.

Jaci
Old 07 August 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
I don't think it's just what you're used to.
I can attest to this.

I grew up in Southern Ontario, and experienced all the glories of our winters. Following high school I moved up to Nunavut for a bit and moved around in Northern Ontario and Northern Manitoba before coming back home to go to school.

In that time I experienced -50C temperatures and nasty winds coming in off Hudson Bay but it was all dry. However, my first winter back was miserable because of the nasty humidity effect coming off the Great Lakes.

I'm fine in Southern Ontario winters now, but my god those first couple of months were something awful.