snopes.com  


Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06 July 2017, 09:44 AM
Skeptic's Avatar
Skeptic Skeptic is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2005
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,741
Default Unidentified Austrian church

I'm wondering if anyone can identify the church in this photo. All I recall is that it was in Austria. This was taken in the early 80s, so the scene may be very different now.
I found this photo in a batch of my early travel days, but it's annoying me that I can't find the details of the place.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06 July 2017, 11:28 AM
Don Enrico's Avatar
Don Enrico Don Enrico is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 7,334
Default

The problem is: that's a rather generic church, at least for the region north of the Alps (Austria, Switzerland, southern Germany). I tried a reverse picture search and I did a search of pictures for "Kirche Österreich" in Wikipedia, but no luck (you probably did both of that already).

Can you at least remember in what regions of Austria you did travel? Maybe we can narrow it down.

ETA: Here's a (German language) site of church buildings in Austria that let's you search be region. It claims to have 525 buildings and 3723 pictures: http://www.sakralbauten.at/. If you can remember the region, we can search there. Or you could ask the owner of the site direktly: info[at]sakralbauten.at.

Last edited by Don Enrico; 06 July 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06 July 2017, 11:40 AM
Pudding Crawl's Avatar
Pudding Crawl Pudding Crawl is offline
 
Join Date: 29 July 2007
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,817
Default

This one looks a good match, although it's in Bavaria- just.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06 July 2017, 01:15 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding Crawl View Post
This one looks a good match, although it's in Bavaria- just.
I really like that huge mountain range they added behind it since Skeptic took that photo in the 80s, really adds to the ambience ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
This was taken in the early 80s, so the scene may be very different now.
And how!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06 July 2017, 01:19 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I really like that huge mountain range they added behind it since Skeptic took that photo in the 80s, really adds to the ambience .... !
There could be mountains behind that fog. When I lived in the Seattle area, we could go days without seeing the mountains, in a foggy/misty/cloudy winter.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06 July 2017, 01:29 PM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,396
Default

I think the mountains are probably in there, just behind the fog. ETA: Spanked by Lainie! All the architectural details are there, as well as the trees. Here's a shot composed virtually identically to Skeptic's, in which the mountains don't seem nearly as prominent:

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06 July 2017, 01:41 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,386
Default

The Mountain is what?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06 July 2017, 01:50 PM
Pudding Crawl's Avatar
Pudding Crawl Pudding Crawl is offline
 
Join Date: 29 July 2007
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,817
Default

Without dismissing the notion that they only get the mountains out for high season- yes, I was presuming fog/white-out conditions.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06 July 2017, 02:13 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,655
Baseball

I love this place for this type of detective work.

What a find!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06 July 2017, 02:30 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,437
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
12,000 feet? Um, not really. Try 14,410 (or 11) feet.

Otherwise, a very nice explanation.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06 July 2017, 02:32 PM
Don Enrico's Avatar
Don Enrico Don Enrico is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 7,334
Default

How did you find that, Pudding Crawl?

Well done, however you did it!

ETA: Wikicommons has a winter view that looks even more like the OP picture.


By Diego Delso

Last edited by Don Enrico; 06 July 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06 July 2017, 02:36 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 24,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
12,000 feet? Um, not really. Try 14,410 (or 11) feet.
The article was saying how high it is above the surrounding area, not its height above sea level.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06 July 2017, 02:42 PM
Pudding Crawl's Avatar
Pudding Crawl Pudding Crawl is offline
 
Join Date: 29 July 2007
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,817
Default

'"Byzantine chapel" Austria' to start with, added 'alpine' when it looked like the architecture was more in keeping with that kind of setting; then struck lucky when it turned up in someone's blog post about a cross-border journey.
I have no real skillz but it seemed like it'd make a good tea-break activity.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06 July 2017, 09:27 PM
Skeptic's Avatar
Skeptic Skeptic is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2005
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,741
Default

Thank you everyone for all your work. It is indeed in Germany, but only a few miles from the border with Austria. I see it's only a few miles from Neuschwanstein Castle which is where we were heading. The church photo was snapped as we went by in a bus and we did not visit. Lovely scenery but OMG it was cold.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06 July 2017, 09:30 PM
Skeptic's Avatar
Skeptic Skeptic is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2005
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There could be mountains behind that fog. When I lived in the Seattle area, we could go days without seeing the mountains, in a foggy/misty/cloudy winter.
I arrived in Pokhara in Nepal and had a brilliant view of the Karakoram Mountains, some of the highest in the world. I thought I'd get out the camera and take some photos, but first we set up our camp. Clouds rolled in 20 minutes later and I never saw the mountains again.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06 July 2017, 09:36 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,386
Default

My brother visited me in Seattle for a week one March. He never saw Rainier. I don't think he saw any of the mountains.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06 July 2017, 10:03 PM
Tootsie Plunkette's Avatar
Tootsie Plunkette Tootsie Plunkette is offline
 
Join Date: 26 October 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,935
Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My brother visited me in Seattle for a week one March. He never saw Rainier. I don't think he saw any of the mountains.
How many times did Seattleites see Rainier in 2012?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06 July 2017, 10:11 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,386
Default

I love that! Thank you for posting it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07 July 2017, 01:11 AM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,655
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I arrived in Pokhara in Nepal and had a brilliant view of the Karakoram Mountains, some of the highest in the world. I thought I'd get out the camera and take some photos, but first we set up our camp. Clouds rolled in 20 minutes later and I never saw the mountains again.
I had a reverse experience. In 2004 I went to Lapland in Finland in December (I know, what was I thinking). The trees and the deep snow reminded me of my time in the mountains for two winters in British Columbia. I thought for sure I was in the mountains.

I was there for just about a week. It was snowing and cloudy the entire time, ceiling about 500 feet, visibility 1 mile. I could see the bridge near my hotel, but that was about it.

I was shocked to revisit Rovaniemi on Streetview. The weather that day was gorgeous and summer. Not a damned mountain to be found. I still have the impression of being surrounded by mountains when I look at my photos from my visit, but I know in my brain that they were not mountains.... just more snow.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07 July 2017, 01:37 AM
mbravo's Avatar
mbravo mbravo is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I had a reverse experience. In 2004 I went to Lapland in Finland in December (I know, what was I thinking). The trees and the deep snow reminded me of my time in the mountains for two winters in British Columbia. I thought for sure I was in the mountains.

I was there for just about a week. It was snowing and cloudy the entire time, ceiling about 500 feet, visibility 1 mile. I could see the bridge near my hotel, but that was about it.

I was shocked to revisit Rovaniemi on Streetview. The weather that day was gorgeous and summer. Not a damned mountain to be found. I still have the impression of being surrounded by mountains when I look at my photos from my visit, but I know in my brain that they were not mountains.... just more snow.
To be fair to you, you were surrounded by all the matter that would compose a moutain, but in frozen liquid or vapor form, and spread out over a larger area
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitler's place of birth to be demolished by Austrian government Psihala Social Studies 0 17 October 2016 10:46 PM
Austrian village F---ing to vote on name change snopes Language 8 23 April 2012 09:35 PM
Why Go To Church Ariadne Glurge Gallery 1 24 September 2008 03:32 AM
Numerous unidentified flying objects major accent Fauxtography 15 29 June 2007 01:25 AM
Church Bulletins MidgardDragon Inboxer Rebellion 11 01 February 2007 01:52 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.