snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 26 May 2017, 07:44 PM

Jaded Google looks different, features missing

The other day, Google pages began showing up with a new black navigation bar across the top.
Image search has many fewer images, and most of them are related to shopping.
The "tools" menu is gone, so the option to sort by date is gone.
It started in Opera, at first with some pages and not others. Now it's all Google pages.
I'm not getting it in Firefox or Edge. Yet.

Is anyone else getting this?

Did Google change, did Windows change, did Opera change, or do I need to change my settings?
Old 26 May 2017, 07:56 PM

Sounds like you accidentally installed a plug-in.

OY
Old 26 May 2017, 10:01 PM

Yeah, Google is still fine for me, so I'd say OY is right.
Old 27 May 2017, 12:20 AM

There aren't any new plug-ins that I can see. It appears to be an older version of Google.
Old 27 May 2017, 02:49 AM

While my boss was looking up something today (with me looking over his shoulder), he accidentally navigated to what appeared to be a fake YouTube site. (He's the sort who types "youtube.com" in a search bar and clicks the first link rather than in the address bar). Is there any chance that you somehow reached a spoof Google site? (It's your description of a preponderance of shopping-related links that has me wondering.)

ETA: One other (remote) possibility: are you signed into Google from some sort of managed account? I found that when I was signed in under my work account, I wasn't seeing all the Google features (even when surfing at home on my personal laptop) because of the restrictions that my workplace places - I signed out, and Google appeared normal again.
Old 27 May 2017, 04:02 AM

Computer

Sometimes Google drops support for older browsers and this happens as a result. (Something like "We can't offer you full features if you don't update your browser...") I don't think they've dropped support for Opera entirely so I think updating your browser will do it. Before you do that you might check if you've turned off JavaScript in Opera, another cause of these symptoms (but I'm guessing you would have remembered if you did that).
Old 03 June 2017, 06:23 AM

It's back to normal now, All I did was download Opera Neon, which is like the lite beer of Opera (I think I'll ditch it), and Google went back to normal. Go figure.