snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 25 May 2017, 02:01 PM

Ponder A uniform comfortable climate for an office building--is that possible?

A universal complaint is how cold/hot one's workplace is: Yesterday my co-workers and I were shivering. I'm comfortable today, but I brought my space heater just in case. Yes I know that space heaters are a big no-no, but other than wearing a sweater, what else can I or anyone do? I understand it's hard to keep a large building consistently comfortable, but I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say.
Old 25 May 2017, 02:17 PM

I don't know whether it's possible to keep an entire large building at a consistent temperature throughout; but, even if it is, that won't solve the problem. Some people are comfortable working in shirtsleeves in 50º or 60ºF temperatures, and swelter if it's in the 70's. Other people aren't comfortable unless it's nearly 80. Whatever temperature is chosen, a significant percentage of the people in the building will be uncomfortable.
Old 25 May 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

There's also the affect of walls, doors and cubicles on the comfort zones. I work in a building where the 4th floor is often much colder than the 1st (with a differential enough to make you wonder whether heat really does rise).

The bigger the building (in footprint, that is), the harder it is to keep the temperature even.

FYI, Dawnstorm, I used to have a space heater, too. I haven't needed it since I hit menopause, so it went away, but it was of a type approved by facilities for use at work.

Seaboe
Old 25 May 2017, 03:14 PM

A big problem here is that in the morning, the east part of the building gets warmed by the sun, and since that is where the controls and sensors are (since that is where the big management is), the cooling goes on. In the afternoon, they are in shadow, so it is cooler so the system wants it to be warmer. Therefore, here on the west side of the building, we get cooled in the morning when it is cooler and warmed in the afternoon when it is warmer. The people in the middle of the building...well, there are a lot of space heaters over there.
Old 25 May 2017, 05:05 PM

I suspect most modern building are capable of at least maintaining a fairly constant temperature throughout the building. In many cases, the system has simply not been balanced to work properly. Or, it was balanced once but changes in the internal layout of the building have made that balancing ineffective.

In my building, they recently converted a lab space adjacent to my office into a temperature controlled, air and vibration isolated lab (whole new set of walls, new floor and ceiling, in the middle of what was a fairly large open space) so it no longer really uses the building's main heating, cooling and sensing systems. The environmental controls for the whole floor are total F'd up. Part of the space now sits around 65F while attached offices are at 75F. We've been trying to get the building engineer to re-balance and re-calibrate the systems but so far no luck. I think if we actually turned the exhaust hoods in the lab on the building would implode.
Old 25 May 2017, 10:16 PM

For most of my life I've been the one who's always too warm. Menopause has made it worse, but also added cold flashes as well as the better known hot flashes. I am very grateful for the shawl a friend gave me. It's beautiful, and just the right weight for a chilly office or airplane.

Most of my office building is a reasonable temperature, but the area where I sit is noticeably cooler than the rest of the floor.
Old 26 May 2017, 01:55 PM

I've always figured that if I'm cold, then so is everybody else. It's not often that I'm cold despite my hypothyroidism.
Much better today.
Old 26 May 2017, 04:10 PM

Today, it is in the 60's and overcast outside, so of course the AC is running full blast since...ok, no idea why. At least everyone is cold today. Yay?
Old 26 May 2017, 05:35 PM

The other day one of my co-workers, a very fit 23YO man, commented that he's always cold in our part of the office. If he's cold, you know everybody else is.