snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 03 September 2016, 09:09 PM

Default 8 Rainbows simultaneously in Pennsylvania, Beautiful vision of Gods promise to Noah

I have seen double rainbows, and once even a triple, but they have always been concentric. This does not seem possible to me, unless possibly created by very local conditions, like steam rising just behind the photographer. Even so, if the only light source is the sun, it seems they could not cross this way. Any ideas?

ETA: I don't seem to be able to enter a link that shows the pic. Sorry

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 03 September 2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03 September 2016, 09:38 PM

I think I found a link!

http://www.snopes.com/photograph-shows-eight-rainbows/

Old 03 September 2016, 10:22 PM

The Snopes article doesn't have the 8-rainbow photo. This seems to have the photo in question: http://lehighvalleywithlove.com/post...hoto-gets-some

Also, while looking for that, I came across an article that seems to have been created at least partly by running the Snopes article through some sort of thesaurus program. (http://www.coolrocketry.com/eight-ra...-pennsylvania/)

Last edited by erwins; 03 September 2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04 September 2016, 01:10 AM

Erwins' first link has the photo I was trying to link.
Old 04 September 2016, 01:35 AM

Here's an xkcd "What If?" that talks a bit about rainbows, and by inference indicates the near-certainty that 8 rainbows is photoshopped or otherwise staged.
Old 04 September 2016, 06:47 AM

From reading the Snopes article it looks like it's talking about the same photo, since the original photo it links to is obviously the source photo for Mac's image as well.

Rainbows are always a reflection of sunlight against raindrops so every rainbow you ever see will be in the opposite direction of the sun from the observer's point of view. Note also that different observers in different positions will also see the rainbow in a correspondingly different position, which is why rainbows seem to 'follow' you when you're in a moving vehicle.

If you see two rainbows in the sky then they're typically exactly inside one another, just larger concentric circles with the same axis. The quadruple rainbows in the Snopes link aren't concentric because two of them are caused by the sun reflecting off a lake or another large flat reflective surface so the angle is somewhat different. The eight rainbows in Mac's image have wildly different axes which would only happen if there were several different suns in the sky, or perhaps giant mirrors about a mile wide being hung in the lower atmosphere.
Old 04 September 2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
The eight rainbows in Mac's image have wildly different axes which would only happen if there were several different suns in the sky, or perhaps giant mirrors about a mile wide being hung in the lower atmosphere.
The xkcd What If specifically talks about what rainbows would be like on worlds with multiple suns. It is, in fact, what would rainbows look like on Tatooine (Luke Skywalkers two-sunned home world in Star Wars).