snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 21 April 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
Obvious solution - reduce the number of races. Start appointing Judges and Police Chiefs and school administrators etc.
Obvious, yes. Practical, not so much. And FWIW, we already do appoint police chiefs, some county sheriffs, and Federal judges. ETA: Although I agree that in general, we fill too many offices by election, including some that would far more appropriately be appointed (coroners, for example). FETA: And it may simply be a terminology difference, but "school administrators," that is, superintendents/chancellors etc., are appointed -- school board members are elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Well, wasn't the rationale behind the Electoral College that it was too far for actual voters to go to Washington on the roads of the time?
No. It was created to prevent direct election of the president (the founders feared the average voter would be too subject to manipulation by would-be tyrants) and to increase the political power of the smaller states.

It would, of course, have been impossible for all the voters to converage on Washington. But I don't know why they would have needed to do so in order to vote directly. Ballots could be transported.
Old 21 April 2011, 07:54 PM

Wolf

My opinion is that the computer should transmit the polling data and then print out a card showing the voter the result. The card is then fed into a counting machine and stored. The counting machine results can be compared to the voting machine total to ensure accuracy and the paper originals are available for confirmation. of both.

The only other improvement that I could think of would require voter identification on the ballot which, IMO, is improper. Annymous balloting is essential for people to vote how they wish to without fear of reprisal.
Old 22 April 2011, 12:13 AM

I think the title of this thread should be "Programmer under oath CLAIMS computers rig elections."
Old 22 April 2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
My opinion is that the computer should transmit the polling data and then print out a card showing the voter the result. The card is then fed into a counting machine and stored. The counting machine results can be compared to the voting machine total to ensure accuracy and the paper originals are available for confirmation. of both.

The only other improvement that I could think of would require voter identification on the ballot which, IMO, is improper. Annymous balloting is essential for people to vote how they wish to without fear of reprisal.
This would work...

Voter enters booth, makes selection on machine made by vendor "A". it records and submits the vote to a host system, and then provides a card back with the voters results. This is then scanned by another machine made by "vendor b" which records the results again on an independent system, also provides a paper slip, and the original card gets stored as a paper manual verification.

If Vendor A and vendor B report different numbers, then they manually count the records.
Old 15 August 2016, 07:37 PM

This has been popping up on Facebook lately.

Apparently the fact that Curtis only alleges in 2000 that he was asked to write code to rig an election by a REPUBLICAN candidate is proof positive that "Crooked Hillary" and the Democrats are going to steal Trump's election.
Old 16 August 2016, 12:16 AM

FWIW:

New York State attempted to delay getting new voting machines to replace the old lever type in part because they couldn't find vendors who could actually meet the certification requirements.

(note that's a 2006 paper):
Quote:
One of the strengths of New York State regulations is the requirement that all systems must meet the Federal 2005 Voluntary Voting System Guidelines (VVSG), the first state to do so. Initial reports indicate that all systems are failing tests which prove compliance with this high bar set by New York State. Voting systems which do fail to meet the 2005 VVSG requirements cannot be certified under State regulations. This raises the distinct possibility that, if the Board of Elections is strict in its interpretation of statute, no systems will pass certification testing, and New York State must delay HAVA implementation beyond the current September 2007 target.
New York wound up requiring paper ballots as part of the system; I believe a lot of other states by now use a similar system. One fills out a paper ballot and inserts it into a machine to be counted. The machine, presuming it's working right, refuses the ballot if there are overvotes (two candidates marked, for example, in a race in which only one is supposed to be voted for) or strange markings (the voter can fill out another one); records the vote if the ballot is filled out correctly; and stores the paper ballot, which IIRC is kept for two years under lock and key. If there's a suspicious result or a very close election, the paper ballots can be counted. A random sampling of machines get their paper ballots counted every year in any case, and checked against the count the machine provided.

One of the reasons for such a system is obviously to discourage fraud. Another IMO equally good reason is to reassure people that votes are likely to be counted correctly. If all the states required a setup that allows for the possibility of a genuine recount on paper ballots, then videos of this sort become a historical note, not something that can be used to cast doubt on the veracity of a current election; and it's not necessary (except for historical purposes) to argue about the accuracy of what's said in the video.
Old 17 August 2016, 11:05 PM

It reminds me of Bill Maher's joke that if we went to computer elections some 14 year old from Finland will hack the system and we'll get Kylie Minogue for president. Though I suppose we might just end up electing old Kylie the way our elections are going.