snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 July 2017, 05:50 AM

I am only three suburbs from the city as the crow flies and usually get great city views. But on misty mornings and rainy days (like today) I don't see the city. Actually at the moment I can see the building just not the tops of them.
Old 07 July 2017, 01:02 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My brother visited me in Seattle for a week one March. He never saw Rainier. I don't think he saw any of the mountains.
I visited friends in Seattle when they lived in a multi-story apartment with a terrace that offered a great view of Rainier. Would have been very upset if the weather blocked it the whole trip, but Seattle being Seattle the view was not permanent by any means. (As an overweight man, I was leery of stepping onto the terrace, which seemed to be lightly bolted to the outside wall, but you could still see the view from the kitchen.)

To get even more off-topic, I was about to say that this was the very apartment Kyra Sedgwick's character lived in in the film Singles, but I realize I have already posted probably more "I encountered a celebrity" and "I was somewhere cool" information than is considered polite. Is there a thread for "I'm not bragging, I just thought you'd find it interesting"?
Old 07 July 2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I arrived in Pokhara in Nepal and had a brilliant view of the Karakoram Mountains, some of the highest in the world. I thought I'd get out the camera and take some photos, but first we set up our camp. Clouds rolled in 20 minutes later and I never saw the mountains again.
Never mind, you can look at one of mine (although I can't embed it directly any more - thanks, Photobucket):

Machhapuchhre from Pohkara

We had quite clear weather when I was there, I think - I didn't know we were lucky at the time. I remember getting to our room and looking out of the window at the view and thinking "That white thing up in the sky is a funny shape for a cloud. Hang on... Oh my god!"

I got a couple of others as well, but they're not online. (And looking back over my photos, it's not as obvious which they are! I have lots of mountains from when we were up in them, but only a couple with mountains in that might be taken from Pokhara).
Old 07 July 2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I visited friends in Seattle when they lived in a multi-story apartment with a terrace that offered a great view of Rainier. Would have been very upset if the weather blocked it the whole trip, but Seattle being Seattle the view was not permanent by any means.
I usually recommend potential visitors go in July, August, or September, for the best chance at clear weather and views (based on my experience -- I haven't crunched the data). But I visited my daughter in May this year and had amazing weather.
Old 07 July 2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Never mind, you can look at one of mine (although I can't embed it directly any more - thanks, Photobucket):

Machhapuchhre from Pohkara
All i get is a graphic saying "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting." Not sure why, since I'm attempting to view from the Photobucket site you linked.

ETA: Never mind; pasted the link into Chrome and it worked just fine. Apparently Photobucket's new setup doesn't play nicely with Safari. Like the pics!
Old 07 July 2017, 02:20 PM

I see the picture, except it is a woman on a bus with some mountains faintly in the background.
Old 07 July 2017, 02:56 PM

Yes, the mountains in the background being the ones that Skeptic was talking about, as seen from the town he was in. They are a bit faint, true. (And the woman being my sister).
Old 07 July 2017, 03:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The article was saying how high it is above the surrounding area, not its height above sea level.
The surrounding area is about 100' about sea level. That means Rainier rises about 14,300 feet above the surrounding area (checking the elevation of the base in Wikipedia says it's 200', so 14,200' above the area).

I just asked Google how far Rainier was from the Pacific Ocean, and it told me 3,845 miles. The actual distance to Puget Sound is a little ambiguous, because it depends on where you start and how you get there, but it seems to be between 50-100 miles.

ETA: My own adventure with not seeing a mountain occurred in New Zealand. My BFF and I drove almost to the base of Mt. Cook and still couldn't see it for the clouds. We drove all around the island to the other side of the mountain and didn't see it from there, either. Then we went to the north island and drove all the way around one of the major mountains up there, and never saw it, either. Despite the clouds, the weather was quite nice while we were there.

Seaboe